Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Surround Sound Problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 applesauce1234

applesauce1234

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:05 AM

Hi

I just bought purchased a Logitech 5.1 surround sound speaker system for my PC off of eBay... it has two front speakers, two rear speakers, a centre speaker and a sub. I then purchased and installed a Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 sound card (SB0200), also off of eBay.

Speakers:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Logitech-X-530-5-1-Surr...1QQcmdZViewItem

Soundcard:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Creative-Sound-Blaster-...1QQcmdZViewItem

The problem is that i cannot get sound to come out of the centre speaker. I know that the speaker works because i tried it in other inputs. Is this perhaps a problem with my drivers?

I tried downloading the appropriate drivers off of the Creative website, but it says that I do not have a Soundblaster card in my computer. However, I downloaded drivers off of another website, and they installed correctly, allowing me to use 4 of the 5 speakers (plus the sub) perfectly.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Colin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:44 AM

Well, what I found is that this is a OEM sound card, and therefore is UNsupported by Creative. So when your ebay seller told you regarding drivers:

And they will always be the latest version at the Creative Website!

They did not tell you the truth according to Dell, who used this card in their machines for a time. (Not to mention that what they wrote is grammatically incorrect.)

Here is a link to investigate: http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/...essage.id=39953

Here is what I thought the important part is:

Q: Why doesn’t the Creative driver package support it?

A: The Creative drivers are not designed to support this OEM version of the Sound Blaster Live!

I realize I haven't given you a direct answer to your issue, but I thought I would pass along the info I did find in case it helps or steers you in the right direction.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 applesauce1234

applesauce1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for the info; its helps very much... I didnt realize that it wasnt officially released by Creative... i guess that explains why the drivers from the creative website didnt recognize a soundblaster installed on my system.

I checked out that link you posted, and found this information out:

"Q: If Creative doesn’t support it, why is it called Sound Blaster Live?

A: The Sound Blaster Live! designation is due to the feature set of the card, which includes:

EAX (software accelerated)
5.1 analog channel output
Digital output"

So, in theory, it should still support 5.1 sound, no? Yet, i can only get 4 of the 5 satelites... im sorry, but i still dont understand what the problem is...

is it a driver problem, or did i purchase a faulty soundcard? or would you advise that i contact the seller and ask him if he knows where to find drivers (although it sounds like he doesnt really know either)

thanks again... any further ideas?

Colin

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:45 AM

I think you understand it correctly. The problem is going to be finding the correct drivers. If you can find out what Dell systems used this particular sound card then you will be able to find the correct driver on the Dell web site, at support.dell.com
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 applesauce1234

applesauce1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for the reply. So now I understand that my soundcard is not supported by Creative (and by extension, by their drivers), but I dont understand how you know that they are instead supported by Dell... is it because Dell are the only ones who make SB0200?

I searched for SB0200 at the Dell support site, and found an online manual for my exact soundcard. However, it simply advises me to insert the Drivers CD, with which my eBayer seller did not supply me.

I know that what I need to find are drivers that support SB0200, but I dont know where to find good ones. I did a google search, and downloaded a few, but none of them can solve the problem regarding the centre speaker. Are there official drivers? I tried looking at Dell, but didnt find any there.

Is there any more advice you could give me on this?

Thanks!

Colin

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:47 PM

Typically you search Dell my model number for the drivers specific to that model. So, in your case you need to find out what model Dell computer(s) used that particular sound card.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#7 applesauce1234

applesauce1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:16 PM

Thank you very much for the reply.

I realize that you do not want to simply solve my problem for me, but that instead you want just to advise me on the next steps. This is certainly the best method for me to learn more about my system. However, I do not know what to do next.

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 still under warrenty, so I emailed customer support and asked them if they could help me with this driver problem. However, since the sound card (although a Dell OEM) was not purchased directly from Dell, I am not sure if they will help me or not. We will see.

You advised me to "find out what model Dell computer(s) used that particular sound card". Can you give me any idea as to how to find this information out? Even if I discover that a certain Dell computer used that sound card, how could that help me to get the proper drivers, if I didnt purchase my sound card directly from Dell?

Highly appreciative of your time...

colin

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:59 AM

I realize that you do not want to simply solve my problem for me, but that instead you want just to advise me on the next steps.

I am simply advising on what I know, which is not EVERYTHING! :thumbsup: It will take some research to find the solution here. I simply do not have that kind of time at the moment, perhaps later today I will.

Once we know what model Dell's used this sound card I will be able to give you the link to the driver. That is the easy part!

The other side of this is a new 5.1 sound card can be purchased for as little as $8.00 USD. How much time do you want to put into this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16829130001

I will look into this further later today for you!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:33 PM

Check out this link:

http://rhinobhs.tripod.com/sb0200.html

If you decide to download and install, let us know if it worked.

EDIT: for what it is worth, I downloaded the file and sent it to http://www.virustotal.com for examination by 27 antivirus programs. No virus was found in the download. However, from the Virus Total website:

these results DO NOT guarantee the harmlessness of a file. Currently, there is not any solution that offers a 100% effectiveness rate for detecting viruses and malware.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 17 July 2006 - 07:43 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#10 applesauce1234

applesauce1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate your advice.

I contacted Dell Support and they advised me to download the drivers from this Dell website... along with the drivers it also installed Creative programs such as a mixer and a (limited) diagnostic program... this is a link to the download page:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...mp;fileid=90207

i installed those drivers, then tried to install those from the link that you sent me, but it told me that the drivers that Dell Support sent me were MORE recent.

As for buying a new 5.1 sound card, well I just bought this one, so if we can get this one to work, I would prefer not to buy another... but if its not possible, then I suppose 8$ isnt a bad deal at all.

Is there some sort of an audio diagnostic program that would be able to tell if its possible for my centre speaker to work, i.e. if it even works? Because it seems as though maybe I do have the correct drivers installed. Im just curious if this is a) a driver problem, b ) a speaker problem, or c) a sound card problem... I have no reason to believe that the speakers are faulty, and it seems that I have the right drivers.

Thanks again!

Colin

P.S. Oh and I emailed the eBay seller of this card and he instructed me to download the Creative drivers again (which of course didnt work). :thumbsup:

Edited by colinweadick, 17 July 2006 - 07:47 PM.

#11 applesauce1234

applesauce1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:03 PM

I tried getting some more drivers by just searching on the net... none of them seem to solve the problem...

do you think its just a bad soundcard?

thanks
colin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users