Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Forced Updates Causing Endless Crash Loops

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:47 PM

I think we can now all agree: Microsoft ’s hardline policy on Windows 10’s forced updates is silly. Very silly. Since launching nine days ago Windows Update has sent out an unstable graphics driver which switched off monitors, a buggy security patch which corrupted Windows Explorer and there are now a number of reports that a third update is causing Window 10 machines to crash over and over again…

The patch in question is KB3081424 (ironically enough a roll-up of bug fixes) and during its update process affected users find it fails and triggers the message: “We couldn’t complete the updates, undoing the changes.” Undoing them results in a mandatory system reboot, but as soon as the user logs back on Windows 10’s update process kicks in and tries to install KB3081424 again.

I’m sure you’re way ahead of me here, but since Windows 10 updates cannot be stopped KB3081424 tries to install over and over again which leaves systems caught in endless reboot loops.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:22 PM

KB3081424 installed on my machine 8/5.  I've not had trouble since, but then I turn off the machine most of the time.  MSFT has like 5% of my loyalty left, pending resolution of what follows.  So I don't use the machine.  So the problems others have, should be redressed by MSFT prontito.  Kelly's article is very apt, stronger this time.

So I just had to comment on that article too, to add something to his putative letter at the end, like this (not quite verbatim)...

And please, MSFT, remove the unconstitutional paragraphs 2 and 3 from your Services Agreement.  You are not my country.  You do not have the right to determine whether I'm doing something illegal, immoral or harmful with the software.  My country has that right of determination, since I am a citizen of it, not you.

And please, MSFT, remove your snooping from my computer if I shut off the Privacy Settings. I cannot prove you've really shut it off.  You do not have the right to unreasonable search and seizure even as my own constitution does not grant that right to my own government.  And you are NOT my government.  You sell stuff and I buy it, and it is up to ME not you how I use it.

So long as you persist in this unconstitutional and unconscionable stance, I will no longer buy anything you sell, and will not only boycott Microsoft, but urge others to do so. After all, to do business with you is harmful, and would violate the terms of your Services Agreement.

Really sad to have to write like this, because under the hood (leaving out the horrid interface from Gehenna) -- Win10 operates well.

Edited by brainout, 08 August 2015 - 08:47 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users