Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LAN keeps dropping connection... very complicated

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 c2p2009

c2p2009

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:01 PM

Event log says my onboard ethernet is disconnected... then reconnect eventually.

It keeps doing this but here is the problem which makes it impossible for me to diagnose-

Anything I do fixes the problem.... for limited time.

I can run troubleshooting and it keeps saying- default gateway not found... fixed now by resetting adapter.

I can disable adapter and reenable to fix.

I can go into device manager and in adapter settings literally change ANY setting and it fixes it.

Here is the kicker...

I can unplug router and turn it back on and it fixes it.

HOWEVER...
All above solutions only work for about 30 seconds then lose connection again because default gateway is lost.

The only permanent solution is to let it fix itself hours later after it starts this odd phenomenon.

I have installed newest Intel drivers which has not fixed the issue.

I have other wired and wireless devices in the house and only this one computer has this issue which was built this year.

So, I figure it's not the router... and I do cable tests within adapters software and everything checks out good.

Event log shows nothing except the adapter repeatedly disconnecting on its own for no reason.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 c2p2009

c2p2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:04 PM

I should add this computer was built in February and it just started doing this about 3 weeks ago.
It only last 1 day then I can go for days or over a week before it does it again throughout the day.

Sounds like ISP? But all other computers not effected

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:39 PM

Well...there are only 3 possible points of signal failure...the wire coming in/the signal coming in...the router...the system hardware.

Router can be eliminated if other systems use router for connection and have no problem.

If no other connected system experience problem...it's neither the router or the signal.

System hardware would be my suspect.  Easily tested by procuring a cheap USB networking device and seeing if same problems persist.

I would not explore the possibility of it being a system problem...until I had convinced myself that it's NOT a hardware problem.

Louis

#4 c2p2009

c2p2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:45 PM

When I go to trouble shoot, I'll have to add an older pci card in it.
It also has onboard WiFi but I do not use it.

I'll get back to this topic soon as I can and see what results are.

Problem is because of its intermittence, it could be ongoing for a while before I come to a conclusion.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:53 PM

No problem.

The lack of a system nuisance...is a good thing :).

When it recurs, post again.

But...I would try to convince myself that it's not hardware before doing anything else.  Hardware situations can be easily solved when it comes to networking/Web access.

Louis

#6 c2p2009

c2p2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:22 AM

Don't laugh but I found the problem..

Lan cable.
Plastic piece that snaps it into place broke off and it was slowly inching it's way out losing connection.

I'm still curious how constantly resetting it allowed a temporal connection though..

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:09 AM

Glad you resolved it...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users