Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Wireless

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:14 AM

So a while ago I bought a Winbook N3 laptop off of ebay and it came with a Linksys Wireless G PCMCIA card. It worked fine for a while but then I started having problems with it: I could only access a few websites (like google, yahoo, CNN) but not most others (like bleepingcomputer). I tried every configuration I could think of and even did a clean install of Windows XP Pro but to no avail. Limewire would work fine 90% of the time.

I connect to the internet via a free wireless access point provided by the City of San Francisco (way cool, huh?). I thought that it was the access point that was the trouble because I could connect to other access points (such as at the library and Starbucks) with little difficulty.

Now I have a new (to me) laptop, also from ebay. It's a Dell Latitude C400. I installed the wireless card on it and it works perfectly with the city's access point (It's running XP Home).

I'm giving the old laptop to my friend (sans the wireless card) and he's going to buy his own wireless card. How can I make sure that he'll not have the same problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:13 PM

well, your new wireleass card may do it. also some utilities dont jive sometimes with certain acess points. for instance, windows wireless configuration is what i choose to use for my wlan devices, but if i get on a certain access point that has a speedstream dsl modem/802.11g router, i have to use the linksys utility. personally i like linksys hardware, but i dont like the software. but this may or may not be it, it could have been the card, the driver revision. if it remains an issue, post back.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:29 PM

It's the same wireless card. But on the Winbook n3 it totally screwed up.

I agree, Linksys' software leaves much to be desired.

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:04 PM

did u try windows wireless configuration yet? ironicaly, microsoft's product actually works well using that service with all the updates, especially the network updates in sp2.
as a tech, i hate to admit i like it, lol, but it works. shhh.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:32 PM

yep. To no avail.

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:30 AM

hmm. you formatted, same thing. you did all the updates, VIP. card works in another machine.the card did work in that machine at one time. so, the issue is related to your lap. maybe degrading pcmcia slot. have you tried a usb wireless card? for fun, check for a bios update, chipset update, and if you can isuggest trying a usb wireless device to see if yo can keep a decent connection. if you need any help with the above post back.
dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users