Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming Computer Build - Budget $950, need all parts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Punkrulz

Punkrulz

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:42 PM

Hello all,

It's been a long time since I posted a computer build request here. My buddy and I are going to build a gaming computer for his 13 year old computer since his existing one took a dump. Right now he's very heavily into Minecraft as well as streaming and broadcasting which he's doing very well in. I'm sure as he gets older, his gaming choices are going to expand a bit more too. The budget is $950, which his mom is about to drop on an Alienware computer unfortunately.

We are going to need all parts. I'm considering an operating system too, however with the fact that Windows 10 just came out I don't know how that is going to play into things as I don't know much about installing straight to it, or if we should even pursue that route since it's so new and won't know about driver issues until the last second. Any advise is welcome.

Look forward to seeing the builds you come up with! Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Truths

Truths

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:55 PM

I'll come back soon with a list, but make sure to hold back with the Alienware, also Windows 10 does support Minecraft, but people complain a lot about it..

#3 Truths

Truths

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:08 PM

Just created a list for you, although you could take out one of the 960's for a better processor, but I think this should be fine http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZGskt6 especially if he's gaming.

EDIT: I based this off the idea that you may have a monitor/keyboard/mouse

Edited by Truths, 08 August 2015 - 01:10 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

I'd ditch the 960s all together and to with a GTX 970 for about the same money without having to deal with SLI and go with a smaller Power Supply Unit (PSU), maybe 600 watts (which is still more than enough).  You can also cut the $40 for the wireless, unless you need it.

With the lower PSU, $40 from the wireless and the $10 or so from the 960s I'd put in a SSD

Edited by Kilroy, 09 August 2015 - 09:58 AM.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:53 PM

Price to include monitor?  Speakers?  Would be a shame to blow a load of money on a high spec GPU to run it into a ropey 10+ yr old 17" monitor ;)

Edited by jonuk76, 09 August 2015 - 02:00 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:06 AM

I would change Truth's list in post three around a little bit.

Swap out the CPU to a AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz.  I suggest this because of the design of the FX series is a bit unusual and you really need to go for the FX-8300 series to get the most out of the platform.

You can keep your motherboard, but I prefer Asus and Gigabyte brands, so I would choose the ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 if going for the AMD 970 chipset systems.  If you are going to be using multiple GPU's, I would get the more expensive 990FX systems as they are designed for this usage, especially with SLI.  If you are interested in this, I would get the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX.

I echo Kilroy's suggestion in going with a single, more powerful card whenever possible.  SLI and Crossfire are great, but they can be a little temperamental to get going with some games and driver issues can sometimes cause instability, plus, not all games scale well with it.

Unless you need it, remove the wireless NIC and upgrade to Windows 10.

3939.png

#7 Punkrulz

Punkrulz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I have been working with my buddy and we're very excited to see what we can build...

Unfortunately, his mother has changed her mind. She feels that it's easier to get an Alienware computer right now on a payment plan as opposed to placing the parts on a credit card and paying that way. In any case it's her decision and I won't get in the middle of it. :-(

Thanks for all of your help and recommendations! I'm sure I'll be posting back soon for my own gaming build. ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users