Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kaya90

Kaya90

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:50 AM

Hi i recently had a problem uninstalling HD Tune Pro, it was coming up with a error that said unins000.dat is missing or something so i was looking for ways to get rid of it and i couldnt find any information so i found a tool that removes the program from a site i wont say incase of spam and HD Tune pro didnt remove at all but registry keys were removed i finally thought i should use revouninstaller because i heard about it on a forum and it completely removed HD Tune Pro but when i opened auto run i had a registry file missing and it was called delcontext menu, when i restarted it dissapeared im wondering if this is needed and if i should restore back to a earlier date.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:57 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Question - is your computer working OK at the moment, ie without this file ?  If it is - let sleeping dogs lie - just carry on using it and don't worry. If you are having problems of any sort, then doing a restore is probably the best way to go.

Remember - 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it !'

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Kaya90

Kaya90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for your reply and its working fine but a bit of a slow start up thats about it not really slow but slightly slower then when i got it a month ago.

#4 Kaya90

Kaya90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:02 PM

i have been getting a message at shut down to force shut down saying task host window is stopping background tasks but im thinking thats a different problem and maybe whats causing a slightly slow start up. When i start up expecially after hibernating the hard disk goes right up to 100% for a long time on task manager and the icons on the desktop flash like when theres been a pending restart but i have no pending restarts for uninstalled programs im thinking its because of the task host window is stopping background tasks so if anyone knows about this problem would be great to get some information.

Kind Regards

Kaya90

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:52 PM

A message at shut down to force shut down saying task host window is stopping background tasks

This in itself is nothing to worry about. It's caused by some programs actually taking longer to fully shut down than you expect. Essentially it's a safety net to protect your data. If you have been working in some application and for some reason gone to turn off the computer before exiting the app it gives the chance to cancel the shut down and go and save your data before closing down again (and finally).

From what you say you might be as well doing a restore to before the time you uninstalled HD tune if you still have a restore point dating to before that. At the worst you will have to uninstall it again but that shouldn't be necessary.

I can't really help you with the hibernation problem, my primary computer has always been a desktop so I tend to treat laptops the same way - they are either off or on !  But if I am understanding you correctly there is no need to have task manager running on the desktop all the time.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:22 PM

RE: HD Tune Pro issue - try reinstalling it, then uninstall it.  It's likely that reinstalling it will restore the missing "unins000.dat" file.

RE: Hibernation issue - it is possible that the hibernation file somehow got corrupted.

Try turning hibernation off/disabling it , then deleting the hibernation file - c:\hiberfile.sys

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/920730

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#7 Kaya90

Kaya90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:43 PM

thanks for your replies i did a restore because a few things went odd like i couldnt use the start button and i had a sound problem at one point it seems a lot better now but i will try reinstalling hd tune pro instead of using revouninstaller which did do the job but maybe easier reinstalling it, as for the hibernation i have disabled hibernation and the start up seems a lot quicker if i still have problems i will delete c:\hiberfile.sys

Kind Regards

Kaya90

#8 Kaya90

Kaya90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:20 PM

i might do sfc /scannow to see if any system files are corrupted it may sort out the hibernation issue

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:28 PM

If you still have problems you are welcome to post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:18 PM

To speed up your startups, right click the taskbar, hit start task manager, go to startup tab and disable everything you don't need running when you turn on your computer.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users