Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BUILDING A NEW COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 morrison1976

morrison1976

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:42 AM

hI all

I am sick and tired of having a laptop, so now, i want to go back to using a desktop. I like to play games, but i am also a digital artist, so use photoshop alot. I am also looking to stream pc games on something like twitch. To be honest, my knowledge is limited when it comes to building computers. I know i need quite a powerful one to run games on twitch and other streaming services.

So, i have found this webside, and started to build. I am looking to put down a deposit of around £600, and pay the yest monthly at around £20 a month.

I can spend the most £1400

This is what i have so far. Is this good?So far, this is £1379. I really cant go much higher than that. Thanks in advance

Case - NZXT Phantom White

Power Supply - Corsair RM750 750W Fully Modular

Processor - Intel Core i7 4790K 4.00Ghz [Overclockable] [NEW]

Overclocking - Extreme [Requires Processor Cooler]

Processor Cooler - Stock Manufacturer Heatsink and fan

RAM - 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97-HD3 R2.0

Graphics card - Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB [Free Metal Gear Solid V]

Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive 7200rpm 64MB Cache

Sound card - Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Optical Drive - Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x DVD/CD ± Re-Writer Black

Network card - Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps

Wireless Card - Asus N10 150MBPS

Edited by morrison1976, 08 August 2015 - 09:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:49 AM

Processor - Intel Core i7 4790K 4.00Ghz [Overclockable] [NEW] Overclocking - Extreme [Requires Processor Cooler]

Processor Cooler - Stock Manufacturer Heatsink and fan

That's an overclocking CPU, and you need a non-stock cooler to take advantage of that.

If don't plan to overclock, get the regular version. It should be 10-30 Pounds less depending on where you get it. If you do plan to overclock, you need to add a better cooler to the list. 

Edited by SEANIA, 08 August 2015 - 09:51 AM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 morrison1976

morrison1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:58 AM

This is where yopu lose me :) Is overclocking really important. Is it a good this to have? They have a coolmaster hyper 212 at £33

#4 morrison1976

morrison1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:18 AM

can i link the webiste i am building from? I really need some help on this, if anyone is willing to help me :)

#5 TheLaughingITMann

TheLaughingITMann

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:19 AM

This is where yopu lose me :) Is overclocking really important. Is it a good this to have? They have a coolmaster hyper 212 at £33

What the other one means is that overclocking is tweaking, modifying, doing things beyond what the device is normally set for to improve it at the expense of voiding warranty and reducing the life and capacility of it. They recommended that you go for a regular i7 (like i7-4xxx instead of i7-4xxxK, where the K indicates a processor that can be overclocked). The stock cooler is good for a non-overclocked CPU, but going with something better like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 will work better (especially the EVO version).

I would also say that while the i7 is a great chip to invest into for the long run, lots of people are going for i5's. For less money and getting a better ratio of performance vs price, an i5 would work better. You rarely see the full benefit of an i7 over an i5 unless you're doing CPU intensive stuff. Look at prices for i5-4690 vs the i7-4790 where you're ordering from. If we're talking £50-100 more, then it may not be worth the upgrade for that extra .50 GHz. And please link.

#6 morrison1976

morrison1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:28 AM

thank you for the replies. The computer i get, will be for the long run. I will not be updating it for a while. Like i said, i will be streaming games, so i need games to run well while i play. I am just worried, i will spend too much, or miss something out. £1400, is the highest i can go, and i don't want to make mistakes, hence the reason i am oh here because of my lack of knowledge.

But will i7 be better in the long run?

#7 TheLaughingITMann

TheLaughingITMann

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:34 AM

thank you for the replies. The computer i get, will be for the long run. I will not be updating it for a while. Like i said, i will be streaming games, so i need games to run well while i play. I am just worried, i will spend too much, or miss something out. £1400, is the highest i can go, and i don't want to make mistakes, hence the reason i am oh here because of my lack of knowledge.

But will i7 be better in the long run?

If you invest into an i7, you do have a CPU for the long run. Windows 7, 8, and 10 don't need less than a dual core at 1GHz or better with 1-2GB RAM. Doing a quad core i7 with 3.5 to 4.0 GHz speed and 8GB of RAM means you're sure set. The only thing I would do is prepare to go up to 16GB in the future if you're going to be streaming and running games and your needs change; the 970 4GB card will work nicely for that, and you can always get another one later to SLI in (connect two cards of the exact same make together to get increased performance).

Edited by TheLaughingITMann, 08 August 2015 - 10:34 AM.

#8 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:34 AM

Is overclocking really important. Is it a good this to have? 

That really depends on the kind of person you are.

Overclocking lets you push a component, in this case the CPU, outside of its stock speeds to make it run faster. It can greatly increase the effective performance lifespan of whatever it is. I know people that bought i7 920s back in 2008 (older equivalent of 4790k), and are still using them with nothing they've run into requiring more power because they overclocked them by 60%. They do things with them that would normally require a brand new £200-£300 stock speed chip to do.

The downsides for overclocking your CPU- 

• Doing so breaks all warranties on it, and sometimes the motherboard to.
  • On that note you could break your brand new chip if you didn't learn how to properly beforehand. 
  • It shortens the physical life span of it. CPUs at stock speed are rated at about 10-15 years of daily use before failure. An overclocked chip is usually only stable for 5 to 8 years of that same use before it gives out. 
  • Requires expensive cooling to get the most out of it. Those people running then i7 920s are either using 75$ and up air coolers or liquid cooling to reach those speeds. 
  • Requires a lot of time and effort for learning how to overclock your specific CPU and tweaking it once you know how. Again the i7 920 guys probably spent around 8 hours perfecting the speed they have now- and they knew what they were doing. 
  • It draws more power from the wall. Depending on where you live, with how much power costs in your area, that could be a significant difference over the year.  
  • There's a chance your CPU won't overclock at all. Not a CPUs are made equal and some are barely stable at stock speeds.

I should note that on that cooler you should only expect about a 15% performance boost if you overclocked. 

Some people consider all the time, effort, money, and risk in overclocking to be worth it for that extended longevity. You have to deiced if it's worth it to you though, or if you'd rather have something guaranteed to work and not deal with a bunch of hassle. 

EDIT:

can i link the webiste i am building from? I really need some help on this, if anyone is willing to help me  :)

Yes you can. 

Edited by SEANIA, 08 August 2015 - 10:38 AM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#9 morrison1976

morrison1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:14 AM

Thank you so much for your replies. I am looking after my daughter, so will write a better response later this evening.

The website is ukgamingcomputers

#10 morrison1976

morrison1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:02 PM

Yeah, do i really need over clocking? maybe not. What i need is a powerful computer thast will rum games. This website ukgamingcomputers seems to be a good site with good reviews, but do you feel i am paying too much for the specs i posted. Icluding in that price is also Monitor - Samsung 23.5" S24B150BL LED HD VGA/DVI and windows 8, which i will upgrade to windows 10.

I am sorry for bothering you people, but buying a computer is alot of money. I just want to make sure i build the right one.

#11 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, do i really need over clocking?

You don't need it. There's nothing that CPU can't do today that a OCed version of it will. 

This website ukgamingcomputers seems to be a good site with good reviews

None of their posted prices include a operating system or mouse&keyboard by default. It's very important to keep that in mind when ordering that those are things you need to be able to use your computer.

but do you feel i am paying too much for the specs i posted. 

Am doing that now..will edit it in momentarily...... 

EDIT:

Back. Including the monitor, the total price for the pieces separate is 882 £. That's probably with free shipping to depending on what site you get it from. Where I can almost guarantee the pre-built site will make you pay for the 40 Pound (guess) shipping charges. Compared to the 1400 £ they're charging using 500 £ markup. They also probably get all their parts in bulk and pay even less then that 822 £ retail price to build their stuff. 

Would also like to point they did not use very value oriented parts and a chunk of money could easily be shaved off the price if more appropriately matched parts were used instead. 

Prices all sourced directly from www.overclockers.co.uk. They sell regular non overclock oriented items to despite the name. 

EDIT:

Guess I didn't answer the question. Sadly it depends on you and I'm going to have to answer your question with another question. Do you feel like it's worth paying them 500£ extra to build it for you? 

Edited by SEANIA, 08 August 2015 - 03:52 PM.

#12 morrison1976

morrison1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:30 PM

the ketboard and mouse i picked out too. The cheapest ones. I am going to try and get the full list for you now

#13 morrison1976

morrison1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:31 PM

Case - NZXT Phantom White Power Supply - Corsair RM750 750W Fully Modular Processor - Intel Core i7 4790K 4.00Ghz [Overclockable] [NEW] Overclocking - Extreme [Requires Processor Cooler] Processor Cooler - Stock Manufacturer Heatsink and fan RAM - 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97-HD3 R2.0 Graphics card - Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB [Free Metal Gear Solid V] Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive 7200rpm 64MB Cache 2nd Hard Drive - None 3rd Hard Drive - None RAID - None Sound card - Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio Optical Drive - Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x DVD/CD ± Re-Writer Black Network card - Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps Wireless Card - Asus N10 150MBPS Memory Card Reader - None Extra Ports - None Modifications Case Paint - Standard Case Paint Internal Lighting Kit - None Under Glow Lighting - None Case fans - Standard Case Fans Cable Management - UKGC Standard system Cable Braiding - None Sata Cables - UKGC Standard system Hard Drive Dampening - None Thermal Compound - UKGC Standard System Fan Controller - None Peripherals Monitor - Samsung 23.5" S24B150BL LED HD VGA/DVI 2nd Monitor - None TFT Dead Pixel Check - None Keyboard/Mouse Combo - None Keyboard - Zalman ZM-K200M Keyboard Mouse - Zalman ZM-M200 Mouse Mat - None Headset - None Speakers - Creative Inspire A60 Powerline Kit - None Surge Protection - None Software Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium [FREE UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10] Internet security - None Office Suite - None Multimedia - None After Sales Warranty - Standard 6 Year Warranty Support - Lifetime Estimated Build Time - Standard 5 - 10 Working Days spacer.gif

#14 morrison1976

morrison1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:33 PM

damn it keeps on doing that :( Hope you can understand all that. Altogether, all that costs £1379.28

oh, i will take out the over clocking :)

#15 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:06 PM

oh, i will take out the over clocking :)

They don't have any non overclocking options for hardware it seems.

Altogether, all that costs £1379.28

Do you feel like it's worth the extra 500 to have them build it for you?

If it's a payment option thing I know Amazon offers financing on all their stuffs (including computer parts) up to 24 months. Paypal also has "pay later" payment plan for anything you buy using them as a go between for payment. 

Edited by SEANIA, 08 August 2015 - 04:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users