Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update for 8.1 now rendered useless

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TCSNinc

TCSNinc

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:33 AM

I tried pulling (un-ticking and hiding) both updates that initiate Win 10 download but Windows 8.1 Update still tries to force 10 on me like a bad date after the roofies failed.

I have 10 burnt to disc and put aside for later.

I want to continue updating 8.1 for now - is there anyway possible?

There's a good 6 or so optional updates waiting for 8.1 64 bit and a .net 'important' update - perhaps they are only necessary to prepare for Windows 10; hence why Windows 10 keeps dloadling when I attempt to install them?

Edited by TCSNinc, 08 August 2015 - 08:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TCSNinc

TCSNinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:56 AM

This is gonna be one of those threads not uncovered until about 2022 by someone wanting the same answer.

I'll have long since been smothered to death under Windows elephant plop.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:40 AM

Hi TCSNinc :)

Simply right-click on the Windows 10 upgrade update in your list of available updates, and select Hide. It'll make it dissapear from the list. From there, you'll be able to download and install the updates. Even if you do that, you might see the "Getting setup files" when installing the updates, like if Windows 10 was being downloaded but it wasn't. It did that on my Windows 8.1 x64 VM and nothing happened, it didn't download the upgrade, but the updates I had selected.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:19 PM

TCSNinc, Personally I put windows update on my windows 8.1 machine on the "check automatically but ask me before downloading or installing" setting, then when I see updates are available I go to windows update in control panel, untick nasty ones like KB3035583, KB3044374, KB3046480, KB3068708, KB3022345 and KB3058168 and then just tick the security ones to install them and only them. This has prevented the "get windows 10" stuff ever appearing on bith my machines, although on one of them it was mighty clode to appearing before I stopped it. I have tried hiding updates, but they reappear every time they are reissued (microsoft develops a slightly edited version of an existing update and releases it again to those who didn't take it the first time it appeared), but by having update so they don't install without my permission I can always untick updates and hide them again, without them having any chance to install themselves.

If you already have any of KB3035583, KB3044374, KB3046480, KB3068708, KB3022345 or KB3058168 installed then uninstalling any of them which are present will prevent the get windows 10 (GWX) app running, and will make download or installation of windows 10 impossible (unless you later choose to reinstall these updates).

After doing that just make sure to set windows so it checks with you before downloading any updates, and make sure to visit th "windows update" section under "control panel" on every tuesday evening or wednesday morning to check for updates to windows, you can then look at which updates are listed, select to install the security ones, reject the ones related to windows 10 and do as you prefer with all the other ones (fixes for non-security bugs, extra "features", compatibility updates...). You can use the "more information" link which appears among the text at the top right when you click on a particular update to visit microsoft's "kb page" with more information about it and work out whether it is worth havng or not. Note however that the "support information" link is useless, it takes you to a standard page, the same for any update, which seems to simply patronise users and show them a few links to web chats and phone numbers.

Try this, see if your problem is fixed.

Edited by rp88, 08 August 2015 - 12:20 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 TCSNinc

TCSNinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll bookmark this topic.

#6 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:58 PM

rp88  

W7 updates gives the following update, KB3068708 as an important update.

It is supposed to give W7 some feature that is only available on W10, if I read correctly the Info. 

Is there any particular reason why it is a bad idea installing that update?

VS

#7 TCSNinc

TCSNinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:57 PM

TCSNinc, Personally I put windows update on my windows 8.1 machine on the "check automatically but ask me before downloading or installing" setting, then when I see updates are available I go to windows update in control panel, untick nasty ones like KB3035583, KB3044374, KB3046480, KB3068708, KB3022345 and KB3058168 and then just tick the security ones to install them and only them. This has prevented the "get windows 10" stuff ever appearing on bith my machines, although on one of them it was mighty clode to appearing before I stopped it. I have tried hiding updates, but they reappear every time they are reissued (microsoft develops a slightly edited version of an existing update and releases it again to those who didn't take it the first time it appeared), but by having update so they don't install without my permission I can always untick updates and hide them again, without them having any chance to install themselves.

If you already have any of KB3035583, KB3044374, KB3046480, KB3068708, KB3022345 or KB3058168 installed then uninstalling any of them which are present will prevent the get windows 10 (GWX) app running, and will make download or installation of windows 10 impossible (unless you later choose to reinstall these updates).

After doing that just make sure to set windows so it checks with you before downloading any updates, and make sure to visit th "windows update" section under "control panel" on every tuesday evening or wednesday morning to check for updates to windows, you can then look at which updates are listed, select to install the security ones, reject the ones related to windows 10 and do as you prefer with all the other ones (fixes for non-security bugs, extra "features", compatibility updates...). You can use the "more information" link which appears among the text at the top right when you click on a particular update to visit microsoft's "kb page" with more information about it and work out whether it is worth havng or not. Note however that the "support information" link is useless, it takes you to a standard page, the same for any update, which seems to simply patronise users and show them a few links to web chats and phone numbers.

Try this, see if your problem is fixed.

I've just pulled all of those updates and MS Update still insists on pulling back down the ~BT folder when attempting to update

I can leave that folder there but the first time that 10 installs without permission or hackers begin getting through (because I can't install security updates without installing 10)

Ubutnu is going on.

#8 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:22 AM

rp88  

W7 updates gives the following update, KB3068708 as an important update.

It is supposed to give W7 some feature that is only available on W10, if I read correctly the Info. 

Is there any particular reason why it is a bad idea installing that update?

VS

rp88

'Errata Corrige':

Update KB3068708 actually comes as 'recommended' and not as 'important'.

From the MSFT information link I don't quite understand what it does though.

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

VecchioScarpone, Regarding KB3068708, I can merely suggest that it isn't doing anything helpful to you. The description is vague indeed, which is not a good sign. I recall hearing about it being more closely involved in the "gwx" business than the description suggests it is, although I might be remembering something said about one of the other "nasty" updates I listed. The key thing to note is that this update definitely doesn't improve security, patch a bug or anyhting like that, so even if it isn't as bas as many think it sounds, it certainly isn't very useful. To install, or not install, that is the question, and it is YOUR choice, but speaking for myself, I haven't installed it and don't plan to.

TCSNinc, could you take a loom at the ~BT folder in more detail, say precisely what the names of the files in it and the folders in it are? it might not be related to windows 10, it might be something else entirely. If you post the names of the files and folders you see upon first opening it (you needn't bother trying to list every file and folder in it at every sub-level for I expect there will be hundreds) it might help people here to work out if it is the ~BT folder related to windows 10, or if it is for something else.

You should be able to install security updates, without installing windows 10, right up until the end of the extended support lifetime for windows 8.1. As long as you are careful to check what updates are being offered to you, and make sure that anything forcing you onto windows 10 (it happened with KB2973544 with the windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade, so we can't be absoutely sure* that ms won't try something with the 8.1 to 10 "upgrade") doesn't get installed, avoiding KB3035583 and it's unpleasant friends is a good first step.

Also TCSNinc, please search(from within windows file explorer, not from the other searching utilities on the system) your C:\ drive (assuming your windows files, system files, program files... are on C:\) for the three letter phrase gwx see if any results are returned, make sure to have "hidden files and folders" set to show, but you should NOT need to set "protected operating system files" to be shown. Please post and say whether anythong containing the three letters "gwx" can be found by searching your C:\ drive.

*They aren't doing forced upgrades from 8.1 to 10, yet, but there is a small chance that they MIGHT someday, no-one is FULLY sure.

Edited by rp88, 12 August 2015 - 11:33 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for your insights rp88,

:thumbup2: 

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 12 August 2015 - 05:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users