Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop wont shut down or sleep, just reboots

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 kaz66

kaz66

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:25 AM

Last week my laptop was being used at a party for music . I went to bed and there had been some rain in the night. friends assured me that it had been kept dry but there was some dampness on the keyboard - when I tried it the keyboard was knackered , double letters , most keys not doing anything , no hassle , new keyboard for 25€.  But now my laptop wont shutdown or sleep , it shuts down , the screen goes black but then after about 5 seconds it reboots. I have tried a clean start ,  editing the registry , chkdsk fixes , sfc /scannow and updated OS from windows 7  to windows 10 , nothing helped , impossible to shut down , any ideas please ?

Edited by hamluis, 08 August 2015 - 04:23 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:05 PM

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 kaz66

kaz66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:04 AM

Last week my laptop was being used at a party for music . I went to bed and there had been some rain in the night. friends assured me that it had been kept dry but there was some dampness on the keyboard - when I tried it the keyboard was knackered , double letters , most keys not doing anything , no hassle , new keyboard for 25€.  But now my laptop wont shutdown or sleep , it shuts down , the screen goes black but then after about 5 seconds it reboots. I have tried a clean start ,  editing the registry , chkdsk fixes , sfc /scannow and updated OS from windows 7  to windows 10 , nothing helped , impossible to shut down , any ideas please ?

find attached SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip + perfmon.zip

· OS - Windows 10
· x64
· What was original installed OS on system?  window 7
· Is the OS an OEM version ?   Updated from Windows 7 to 10
· Age of system (hardware)   2 years
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?  yes - 2 days

· CPU  i3  M 380 @ 2.53 GHz
· Video Card  nvidia Geforce 315Mv
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop)
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop)

· System Manufacturer  toshiba
· Exact model number L750 -21T

· Laptop or Desktop?  Laptop

many thanks for the help

Attached Files

#4 kaz66

kaz66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:18 AM

OK , started another topic as asked with the SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip + perfmon.zip attached , here is  the Admin.evtx

many thanks

Attached Files

#5 kaz66

kaz66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:38 AM

Here is a copy of the temps reports

Attached Files

#6 kaz66

kaz66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:01 AM

Sorry , I have created a double post on the same forum . On the BSOD page it was asking to create a new post and due to sunday morning fuzzy headedness I created then realised my mistake , here is the missing info for this post

· OS - Windows 10
· x64
· What was original installed OS on system?  window 7
· Is the OS an OEM version ?   Updated from Windows 7 to 10
· Age of system (hardware)   2 years
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?  yes - 2 days

· CPU  i3  M 380 @ 2.53 GHz
· Video Card  nvidia Geforce 315Mv
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop)
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop)

· System Manufacturer  toshiba
· Exact model number L750 -21T

· Laptop or Desktop?  Laptop

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:04 AM

Temps look OK

Uninstall Toshiba Service Station - it has issues in the Admin report

There's an unknown device in the perfmon report - locate it in Device Manager and update it with compatible drivers

I suspect that it's the Toshiba Value Added software - so you can uninstall it if you'd like (instead of updating it).

Lot's more errors in the Admin log and I haven't had time to look at the Sysnative reports

I'll try to look at the rest of the reports after work. If not then, then they'll be the first thing I do tomorrow AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 kaz66

kaz66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:28 AM

Uninstalled toshiba service station ,   for the unknown device , there was nothing attached , disabled it then tried a shutdown , computer rebooted with blue screen Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart , we're just collecting some info and then you can restart    -  TIMER-OR_DPC_INVALID   (never did this before) , blue screen stayed for about 5 minutes then system rebooted OK .

Edited by kaz66, 09 August 2015 - 07:00 AM.

#9 kaz66

kaz66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:59 AM

regarding unknown device that is   showing under "other devices" , a click on properties gives "Location on TOSHIBA x64 ACPI-Compliant Value Added Logical and General Purpose Device"   

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

When I click on update driver the system crashes and comes back to a blue screen with driver violation which lasts 5 minutes then the system reboots OK

Edited by kaz66, 09 August 2015 - 07:00 AM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:40 AM

Uninstall Toshiba Value Added Software from Control Panel...Programs and Features

If the BSOD persists, then go to this page, enter your model number, and then download the latest version of the TVAP (Toshiba Value Added Package) software:  http://support.toshiba.com/support/home

If installing it, be sure to install it in Compatibility mode for whatever version that you downloaded (try for a Win8.1 version first)

Multiple problems with Office.

Please uninstall it, then reinstall a fresh copy.

You had a watchdog error (often a hardware problem) - I'd suggest running these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 2.30) dates from 2011.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

This error appears in Device Manager:

Not Available    TVALZ\TOSSYSHID\3&229B9CB8&0&TOSSYSHID    The drivers for this device are not installed.

This is the Toshiba Value Added error that we've been discussing.

Lot's of audio errors in the WER section of MSINFO32.

Please download the latest version of the audio drivers for your system and install them.

If Win10 versions aren't available, please run the installer in compatibility mode for the version that you downloaded.

#11 kaz66

kaz66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:27 AM

Many , many thanks for the info , I am not at home for 3 days but will give an update when I am home

#12 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:21 AM

Hi Kaz66 ^_^,

I see that you have installed Windows 10 3 days back. Was this problem occurring before upgrading/installing Windows 10?

I see that the BIOS of the system dates back to 2011 and is possible that this system might not be compatible with Windows 10.

Spill damage can also cause the system to show such behavior. The spill damage might not be visible from the outside though.

I will ask another senior over here to provide further insights in this case as well :)

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#13 kaz66

kaz66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:36 AM

Namaste bhai , problem was occurring before the windows 10 update , more info here ,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585703/laptop-wont-shut-down-or-sleep-just-reboots/

i'm thinking its the toshiba driver problem

"unknown device that is   showing under "other devices" , a click on properties gives "Location on TOSHIBA x64 ACPI-Compliant Value Added Logical and General Purpose Device"   

when I try to update driver I get

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
There is no driver selected for the device information set or element."

not at home for 2-3 days so will update then

#14 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:17 PM

Greetings ^_^,

Namaste bhai

Namaste :)

It seems like the senior is already helping you out :P . It also seems like by mistake you created two threads. I have asked a moderator to merge the two threads so that we are not confused if you are being helped or not :)

Regards,
Pranav

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 10 August 2015 - 12:25 PM.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#15 kaz66

kaz66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:26 AM

I just got home and uninstalled Toshiba Value Added Software , tried to shutdown , no change , reinstalled TVAS , no change , uninstalled Office and updated BIOS ,

no change , checked all audio drivers , all up to date according to system .I havent tried the hardware diagnostics as I dont have any blank CDs and its  60km to the nearest town . Dont know if it helps after these changes but I've uploaded 2 new reports . thanks

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users