Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows charging for features Forbes article

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:07 AM

I wonder how this will go, the imbedded links tell of even more. 

I am getting even more doubtful about going to 10!  10 is no longer just an OS it is as stated a "Service", so expect charges for things down the road. 

No they won't charge for managing your privacy!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/05/windows-10-charging/2/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:13 AM

Personally my belief is Microsoft is entitled to do whatever it wants to do and earn however it wants to earn and customers will vote with their feet. The trouble is in the run up to Windows 10 Microsoft has not been transparent with users so many are not clear on what they are signing up to or from where future costs may come. Microsoft is sitting back and letting ‘Free Windows 10’ do all the selling.

About as transparent as mud.

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:05 AM

Yeah, and the viewers of that article didn't understand what Mr. Kelly was talking about.  They kept on thinking he was being petty to fault MSFT for being petty, when instead he was suggesting a trend of unbundling the OS and charging for the popular pieces.  So what's free now won't be free later.  Kinda like the difference between basic cable and premium, or the stripped down  versus 'deluxe'.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:49 PM

This does kinda make sense as nothing you get truthfully is really free.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#5 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:15 AM

The article, written on August 5, seems to have been wrong in its predictions.

Basic Solitaire has a tiny static ad on the home screen, and, nowhere, is anyone forced to watch a video. Every third game, or so, the player is offered a chance to get an extra deal or a wild card in exchange for watching a video. The "No Thanks" button, easily, takes care of that.

As for the DVD Player. Mine was free. My opinion is that the offer was for a limited time, but the player is mine to keep. Time will tell.

#6 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

As they say in life nothing ever really is free so whats the big deal anyways if people really want something they will find other options or just pay for it.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users