Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dr Watson Or "svchost.exe"? Problem!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 f1f2

f1f2

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:29 PM

hi,
i can't remember the time when this problen occured first in my pc. this is what i know about it (by order):

* computer begins to run slow and i found in the wndws task manager that "drwtsn32.exe)" has the highest amount of memory usage (i saw it on 37,299 K)
* then if i click on "end process", "Generic Host for Win32 Services" problem occurs again, then i click on "don't send", then it messes up with my 'net connection, and sound device!!!

i found on the dr watson log file that svchost.exe is the application containing the error.
;what's strange is that after i click on "don't send" on the "Generic Host for Win32 Services" problem, the appearance of my pc looks like a windows98 version, lol
;i ran ccleaner.exe but it does not open; after i end the drwtsn32.exe process, it (ccleaner) opens (strange!!)

what should i do?
i keep getting this stupid error everytime i open my pc.
this kills me!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,073 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:50 AM

keep getting this stupid error everytime i open my pc

You really did not explain what error message your getting at startup. Dr. Watson is an error debugger program that gathers information about your computer when an error occurs with a program.

Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that are run from dynamic-link libraries called DLLs. This is a valid system process that belongs to the Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services. Therefore, separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This grouping of services permits better control and easier debugging. The legit Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.

If its running as a startup/shows in msconfig, this can be bad. See here and here.
Also make sure of the spelling. If its scvhost.exe this a trojan. See here and here.

To view the list of services that are running in Svchost:
1. Click Start > then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type CMD
3. Then press ENTER.
4. Type: Tasklist /SVC
5. Then press ENTER.

For information about tasklist.exe, type the following at the XP command prompt: tasklist /?
For more information about a process, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
Tasklist /FI "PID eq processID" (with the quotes)

You can also download and use Process Explorer by Sysinternals to investigate all processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 f1f2

f1f2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:44 AM

ok tnx for the reply:
what happens is that my pc begins to run slow, then i have no other choice but to end the "drwtsn32.exe" process in tskmanager. after i end it, "Generic Host for Win32 Services" begin to appear; in which again i have no other choice but to click "Don't Send". Then things go strange in my pc.

and uh, i don't manage to get the error during startup. yes, everytime i open my pc, but not at startup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users