Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update Window Empty

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 steve33_3

steve33_3

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:12 AM

Run into a strange problem. I have been running Win7 for 2 years with no problems. I have Updates set to user choose.

Problem is following:

I call up Windows Update in Control Panel - the window opens fine and tells me I have 5 Important and 4 Optional, however when I click on Important the 5 tab on the left is shown but the window with update details is empty, the same applies to Optional.

So update tells me I have updates and how many but will not show them or give me access to them.

I have no new software installs or updates that could conflict.

Can anybody help.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:44 AM

Download Windows Repair (All in One) from this site :: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/dl/275/

Install the program then run it.

NOTE 1. In Windows Vista, 7 and 8 right click on the program, click "Run As Administrator".
NOTE 2. Disable your antivirus program before running Windows Repair.

Go to Step 3 and click on Check button next to 1. See If Check Disk Is Needed.
If the tool indicates that the Check Disk is needed click on Do It button next to 2. Check Disk, then restart your computer.

Once the above is done, go to Step 4 and allow it to run System File Check by clicking on the Do It button.

Go to Step 5 and under"System Restore" click on Create button.

Go to Repairs,,,Select  Reset Registry Permissions;
                                              Reset File Permissions;
                                              Repair Windows Updates

then the Start repairs tab and click the Start Repairs button.

After the repair finished, you may be prompted to restart the computer. Please allow it to do so.

Please post the Windows Repair log which is located in the following folder:
64-bit systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs
32-bit systems - C:\Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 steve33_3

steve33_3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for the fast reply.

Small problem. I log in, click on the URL to download, takes me to 275/, I click download, the green circle turns for some time downloading info from Linedin.com and then I am returned to the first level download page and receive nothing.

Must be something basically wrong as it happens everytime.

What am I doing wrong.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:22 PM

You don't have to login in to anything...it's a direct download link hosted here at BC.

I just tried the posted link...works for me.

Louis

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,786 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:07 PM

What are you 'logging" into....?

The link is ok.

This may be the sign of infection present

Edited by Condobloke, 08 August 2015 - 08:09 PM.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#6 steve33_3

steve33_3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:31 AM

I meant logging in as user. The download problem is solved and was entirely due to my own stupidity; Firefox didn't allow page switch and I overlooked the manual download. As I said own stupidity but I now have the tool and shall use it.

Again thanks very much for the help and sorry my intelligence lapse.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,786 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:10 AM

Thats cool....we all have those from time to time...believe me !

let me know the outcome of running the windows repair tool.

There are many gremlins in the works with updates recently.......so we may have to take it further......or your pc may be infected with some kind of malware. We can take care of that as well.

#8 steve33_3

steve33_3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:07 AM

After 2 days and no updates or running the repair tool the problem has disappeared. Before I ran the tool I checked again and there they were. I am not sure how happy I am about that. I like a problem to have a reason and a solution not just magically appear and disappear. I shall keep an eye on it though. I trying to avoid all win10 upgrade updates as I intend to wait a few months before I decide to upgrade so maybe that has caused it.

Thanks for all your great help it's much appreciated.

Outback .. middle of Nowhere.. Alice Spings?

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,786 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:03 PM

Condobolin NSW....

HERE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users