Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 iso that wipes the drive?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Red Kelt

Red Kelt

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:12 AM

Is there a Win 10 iso available that wipes the drive completely allowing a totally fresh install.

I upgraded on day one and the fresh install option clearly had traces of information carried over.

I'm having trouble with Office 365 and I dont want to reinstall win 10 only to find the same problems exist in the Outlook client that is annoying me at present.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:25 AM

This is my project today.  I believe you have to select a custom install.  Will update you later after I've done mine.  Won't be until this afternoon.

#3 Red Kelt

Red Kelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:31 AM

This is my project today.  I believe you have to select a custom install.  Will update you later after I've done mine.  Won't be until this afternoon.

Actually I think I did the custom install.

Contacts were added to Outlook without me importing anything and search history in browsers was also present.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:36 AM

The first time you install it has to be an upgrade rather than a clean install.  My understanding is once it's activated, a fingerprint of your PC is stored on MS's servers, and you should be able to perform a clean install.  Presumably you just boot from the DVD or USB stick and use the tools to delete your existing partitions, and allow setup to recreate them like on previous versions of Windows.  Haven't tried it though.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:40 AM

If you want to wipe the disk then you can do it within a command prompt using the install disk. See option one here.

At the command prompt type

diskpart

list disk

select disk X     where X is the disk you want to wipe

clean                This will delete the partition table or you can use clean all  which will zero the disk so make sure you have selected the  correct 

disk if you have multiple HDDs, Clean all takes a long time on a large capacity drive.

convert gpt      use this command if you have the new UEFI/GPT disk. If you get an error ignore it. You can determine GPT by opening a  

command prompt of your current install and typing the above first two commands. At list disk you should see a * under the GPT

heading of your system disk. You can also look at Disk Management. An EFI partition formatted FAT32 would indicate GPT.

exit

Now proceed with the install.  The above commands work for 7 and 8 but I cannot confirm if Microsoft allows this for 10.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:41 AM

I'm pretty sure these commands works for Windows 10. If they didn't, it would mean that they changed the way Diskpart works, and I don't think they did (why would they do that anyway).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:10 PM

My Windows 10 experience on a blank drive.  You need a Windows 10 product key, the media creation tool wasn't so clear on that and I only found out once my Windows 8 product key didn't work.  I was going to use Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder, but stopped when I saw the install license incldued Open Candy (know malware).  I bought Recover Key as I'm sure it will be useful to me in the future.

Like Windows 7 and 8 you can install without a product key, but are limited, for instance you can't personalize.  Since I have a copy of Windows 10 retail on the way I just went for it.  The number of reboots and asking the same questions a second time was a bit unsettling.  Windows 10 installed and I was a bit taken back that it has the wallpapers I downloaded from Digital Blaspheymy.  Obviously Microsoft stored my wallpapers as the drive they are on had issues, hence why I went for Windows 10 this weekend, and all of my other drives are currently disconnected.  Right now I'm installing my base programs and will connect up my other drives after I shut down.

So, the media creation tool will allow you to format a drive if you select the custom option.  You should document your Windows 10 product key before hand.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,945 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

Check your Product key. Microsoft uses a generic one for Windows 10 that are upgraded. After a clean install, once you are online, your are activated.

Generic Windows 10 Home    TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99 

Generic Windows 10 Home Single Language    7HNRX-D7KGG-3K4RQ-4WPJ4-YTDFH

Generic WIndows 10 Pro       VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Edit: It may be the below keys. I got the above keys from another forum. Not sure why home is different.

Home: YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7

Pro would be

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 August 2015 - 05:32 PM.

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:56 AM

JohnC_21 thanks, I'll give it a try later on.  Kind of stupid of Microsoft to use the same keys for everyone, but that's just my opinion.  Since they are giving it away for free that might be the reason.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:05 AM

Pretty sure it's because the activation works via HWID or something else. Or maybe it's to not display the actual product key that you used during the upgrade (from Windows 7, 8 or 8.1).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 wabbit

wabbit

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:40 AM

Check your Product key. Microsoft uses a generic one for Windows 10 that are upgraded. After a clean install, once you are online, your are activated.

Edit: It may be the below keys. I got the above keys from another forum. Not sure why home is different.

Pro would be

I can verify that the key you have for Windows 10 Pro is correct.  By using Speccy, it shows the same product key on 2 machines I upgraded.

At some point, I plan on doing a clean install on the laptop I upgraded from 8.1 pro.  The other machine i'm leaving as is since it's an older core 2 which is maxed out at 4 GB RAM. I plan on replacing this machine soon.

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:52 AM

Pro would be

I've checked a few PC's all running Windows 10 Home and I have one that matches one of the numbers given above -

Home: YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7 - this one was running an Acer OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Premium prior to upgrade.

Two others which used Retail software (Win 7 Home Premium, and Windows 8.1 Core) prior to upgrade have a different key:

T49TD-6VFBW-VV7HY-B2PXY-MY47H

Edited by jonuk76, 13 August 2015 - 09:04 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users