Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 renders my Canon pixma 1p4600 printer useless

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Juliasdream

Juliasdream

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:05 AM

I recently installed windows 10 on my computer only to find my perfectly good printer no longer works.

The drivers wouldn't update automatically so I went to product support on canon website to search there

It came back with the message that there were no drivers for Win 10 and that I should either change my printer or my OS

I don't wish to do either

Could anyone help me with an alternative to this ludicrous suggestion?

I always trusted canon to be a reliable and reputable company but I may think twice in future if a company cant keep abreast with the latest technology

Attached Files

Edited by Juliasdream, 08 August 2015 - 03:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:16 AM

I would not imagine that attitude will last very long.

Surely Canon have been working to get drivers etc ready for the latest OS from Windows.

I had a similar experience with a Samsung Printer.....sent an email to their support area....and received a phone call from South Korea to explain the procedure to me followed by an email with the detail printed there.

So....send them an email...give them the story.....and hopefully the reply will fix things.

Otherwise.....inform them that you will be buying another printer....and it wont be a canon !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:05 AM

I would wait a bit as the ip4700 which is virutally identical to the ip4600 does have Windows 10 drivers. This would be a last resort as things could go bad so I would at least create a System Restore Point if you decide to try the ip4700 drivers if the ip4600 drivers do not become available within the next month or so. You could contact Canon support and see if they have any intention of creating drivers for the ip4600. I would not hold my breath though as the ip4700 replaced the ip4600.

Here is Canon's telephone support number for Printers if you wish to phone them.

Printers
(MG, MX, MP, IP, PRO, SELPHY Series)
1-800-OK-CANON
1-800-652-2666
Monday-Friday 10:00 am to 10:00 pm

#4 cyberSAR

cyberSAR

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:13 AM

Had an issue with my Canon being recognized but not working. Installed the Windows 8 drivers from Canon's site and works fine.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:21 AM

cyberSAR makes a good point. If you upgraded from 7 then try the Windows 8 drivers for the ip4600. Be sure to pick the correct version, 32bit or 64bit.

#6 Jimbo4u

Jimbo4u

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:13 PM

Win 10 / 32 bit, didn't know there was such a thing.

Be patient, some companies have not ramped up yet to 10 drivers, they will.

looking foward into the past or backward into the future i walk along the highest hills and i laugh about it all the way - e e cummings

#7 The_Tangram

The_Tangram

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:12 PM

Had exactly the same problem.  Downloaded the ip4600 Win 8.1 (64bit) drivers and manualy installed.  On reboot, the system recognised the printer again and allis well wither the world. :clapping:

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,508 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:57 PM

As a general suggestion I am telling people that are having driver issues where none formally exist for Win10 to check if they exist for Win8.1 and use those if they do.

In all instances so far but one that has been a successful fix for driver issues where dedicated Win10 drivers do not yet exist.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

Off topic.....but I do wonder if this may also apply to network adapters etc.....(using a prior version of driver)....

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#10 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:25 PM

It certainly applies to touch pads. I'm using a Win 7 driver on my Win 10 Inspiron 1545.So even older drivers may work. Trial and error.

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:40 PM

Someone else must have noticed this....the ever growing number of Win 10 pc's with internet problems....I have not seen a definitive fix yet.

I suspect some are driver problems...network adapters  etc...aura is struggling with one here  .....and this just one of Many !

My own 'net connection drops out occasionally.....at least once per day on win 10....the other two pc's i have do not have a problem....not running win 10

#12 tcgnse

tcgnse

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

I am using Windows 10 and my Pixma ip4600 is working perfectly. This may be because I upgraded from Win 8.1 but I don't know. Could be worth trying  the Win 8.1 driver http://support-th.canon-asia.com/contents/TH/EN/0100138301.html. 

I see that it worked for The  Tangram. 

#13 dma1001

dma1001

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:39 AM

Hi, guys. I was also coerced into upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and left without a working printer or scanner so, after a bit of scrabbling round with another computer still running Windows 7......

I found that the Windows 8 driver for a Canon Pixma iP4600 works just fine, BUT you have to download it from the Canon Web site into your Download folder before you perform the upgrade, then manually install it afterwards.

I also found that the Windows 7 driver download for a CanoScan Lide 25 also works after I manually installed it.

So, you can probably generalise:

download the most up-to-date drivers for 'older' peripherals into your Download folder BEFORE you upgrade;

upgrade;

THEN manually install any missing drivers from your cache

dma1001

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users