Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FIREFOX AND COOKIES AND UPDATES ON MY LAST NERVE

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:04 AM

There are LEVELS of concern having to do with blocking cookies and the method you need to use to block them in Firefox.   Also everytime I get one of their updates all the cookies I have so LABORIOUSLY entered get erased with the NEW FIREFOX UPDATE.  Firefox makes it deliberately difficult to selectively block cookies - you have to write them all down yourself with all the dots and the nets and the com and then type them in.   With each update the sites I want blocked are erased and I have to start all over and frankly I'm fed up - my computer - around the world in 80 days would be faster than my computer.   when I check there are alll kinds of cookies with ads.whatever.net or .com along with pocket. whatever - all these annoying things that are obviously ad oriented and the way to block them is very work intensive.   If you try to ask a question to get help you get about a hundred pages of old questions and answers to read through which I am not doing - then you take a customer service survey they say will take 2 minutes but as soon as you check VERY DISSATISFIED thats the end of the 2-minute survey so obviously they only want to have people not ticked off to take their stupid survey.

I have tried Maxthon but its just another Firefox and a pain.  THERE SHOULD BE AN EASIER WAY TO BLOCK COOKIES THAN TYPING THEM IN ONE BY ONE.

Internet Explorer has options to check how you want it to run that I haven't a clue about which to check.   Stuff about script debugging and enabling FTP and a myriad of other questions that I need to take a course in probably to figure them all out.

I'm thru with Firefox updates because if forced to enter millions of cookies myself typing them in I'm not about to have them all erased again.  I read on a tech website discussion where if wait too long to install updates they will set it up to install anyway  at which point I will never use them again not that the loss of my one acct means anything but I'm tired of paying for a computer that cookie crap takes over and slows down and Firefox should have a way (they have before so I know its possible) where you can have you cursor on the cookie and say to block it - now you have to enter each intricate cookie yourself - FED UP and probably too ticked off to get the sleep I need. :spidy:  :fumanchu:

Edited by JayJax, 08 August 2015 - 03:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:39 PM

Cookies are harmless.

That being said, if you must block them, you can use Adblock Plus and SpywareBlaster to block tracking cookies from questionable domains. Some also use the MVPS Hosts file, but I don't recommend messing with the Hosts file.

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:18 AM

Cookies are harmless.

That being said, if you must block them, you can use Adblock Plus and SpywareBlaster to block tracking cookies from questionable domains. Some also use the MVPS Hosts file, but I don't recommend messing with the Hosts file.

They may be harmless but I believe my computer has been slow because of their interference because sometimes you can see that they are loading stuff.   They take up time I don't want to waste.   Just their presence is a pain.   When I get them off my computer speeds up for a while.   I guess I find them offensive that someone else is able to add stuff I don't want.   I have a "I don't want to be followed".   I guess I will block all 3rd party cookies is all.

I think what was so annoying last night was more about FIREFOX making it so difficult to block certain cookies because it used to be that you could high-light it and block, now you must type them in yourself and if you don't get it right (some of the names are very convoluted) then you've wasted your time.  That and Firefox sending me all kinds of "surveys" - no customer service just surveys.

Edited by JayJax, 09 August 2015 - 01:22 AM.

#4 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:35 AM

Surveys? From who?

You should not be noticing cookies loading anything. Your computer could be infected by something else...

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:39 PM

Surveys? From who?

You should not be noticing cookies loading anything. Your computer could be infected by something else...

Surveys asking about how satisfied I was with customer service and/or web site useability etc.

I'll stay observant what's happening with my computer - for now it seems better now that I have blocked 3rd party cookies.  Hopefully it will stay that way. 

Thanks for your information and suggestions.   I have a busy weekend ahead to delve further into information and links (including yours) I've picked up here on BC - I have a couple of threads going on here - this weekend I hope to be able to explore fully and hopefully be a little wiser for my efforts.

Edited by JayJax, 12 August 2015 - 09:41 PM.

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:30 PM

It happened again and I could spit nails.   AFTER LABORIOUSLY TYPING IN ALL THE B.S. COOKIES that get added to my computer the update from Firefox today wiped them all out.   They don't have a decent way to add them - you have to laboriously type in their sometimes complex twisted names yourself.  I'm back to hating Firefox

#7 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:48 PM

SuperAntiSpyware will delete all tracking cookies for you. But, like I said, you're losing too much sleep over this. Cookies are harmless. Firefox is a great browser.

Use Adblock Plus and add more filters. That will block a lot of them.

Edited by Phantom010, 20 August 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#8 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:04 PM

SuperAntiSpyware will delete all tracking cookies for you. But, like I said, you're losing too much sleep over this. Cookies are harmless. Firefox is a great browser.

Use Adblock Plus and add more filters. That will block a lot of them.

I will do that - I have tried to limit what I download as even from places I have in the past felt were reliable picked up EXTRAS along with what I downloaded.  Anyway I will give your suggestion a try thanks.  SuperAntiSpyware - I hope its not one of those free things that hound you constantly to update.   Even though stuff is "free" I want them to be upfront - not have lots of add-ons as I'd rather do without.   I have never heard of these FILTERS and so not sure what it entails.  

Your "binary face" is interesting Vincent Price would like it I bet - makes me think of Halloween coming up I'd rather it stay summer but then other forms of ghosts and goblins prowl.

Edited by JayJax, 20 August 2015 - 09:15 PM.

#9 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:40 AM

You might find one of these Firefox add-on extensions useful: CookieKeeper or Cookie Monster.

I use CookieKeeper, lets me keep the ones I want, blocks the ones I don't want and automatically tosses the rest at the end of a session.

#10 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:54 PM

You might find one of these Firefox add-on extensions useful: CookieKeeper or Cookie Monster.

I use CookieKeeper, lets me keep the ones I want, blocks the ones I don't want and automatically tosses the rest at the end of a session.

Thanks - I never heard of that or this concept really.   I'll check it out.  Might prove to be a positive addition.

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:15 PM

JayJax, you shouldn't have that cookie problem in Firefox.  I did a video showing you how to do your settings: click here.

Edited by brainout, 22 August 2015 - 08:48 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#12 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:41 PM

JayJax, you shouldn't have that cookie problem in Firefox.  I'll do a video showing you how to do your settings, then edit this sentence with the video link, k?

Nice of you to lend a hand - anything you can do to help me out will be, as always, appreciated by me very much.

#13 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:01 PM

Video's now done, JayJax, look in my prior post for link.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#14 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:12 PM

Video's now done, JayJax, look in my prior post for link.

Thanks - will do!

#15 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:51 AM

It migth be easiest if you set all cookies to allow (except third party ones) but be wiped at the end of your session, if you alos combine this with something like NoScript you won't be able to be tracked very much, but you'll still be able to use sites which require cookies for login.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users