Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

whats a good anti virus for an old machine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cpunoob

cpunoob

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:33 AM

xp home 32bit

1.3gig processor

640mb ram

i just downloaded the latest update for avast and its really slowing me down

i have a month speed upgrade from my service provider and stuff is loading slower

gonna look at one of those help things u guys have here

going to try to tweak the options and see if i can speed things up

i know that speeding it up means its not working at full power, which i dont want to do

but maybe some settings will work out ok

also

if i go to windows task manager

and click on firefox, what happens if i take the priority of normal and change it to high?

it gives me warning of possible malfunctions? i know they warn about anything that can change how

system works, buts its something ive never messed with before.

will any of these be good at taking the place of avast

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows/anti-virus/

voodoo and sophos ones

Edited by cpunoob, 08 August 2015 - 01:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:08 AM

These Anti-Virus Software Products Will Continue to Protect XP after the End of Support

...The best news where this issue is concerned comes from the manufacturers of security software: with security suites continuing to provide updates for their software on XP systems after 8th April for at least one year or even longer depending on the manufacturer in question. Some companies have even promised to keep providing updates for two years and others have yet to plan any deadline whatsoever for the end of support. At the end of this article, you will find a list of all of the statements made by manufacturers of security software with regard to this matter that we have compiled for your information...

Forced to use Windows XP past April? 10 ways to make the best of a bad situation

...those XP users left out there are wondering what they can possibly do to mitigate their risks as much as possible. The best course of action without a doubt is moving to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, but if you can't or won't make such a bold move, then here's the best of what's left on your plate of options.

#1: Ditch the Free AV - Get a Paid Solution

ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus and Emsisoft Anti-Malware both leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources.

XP users should read these topics for more tips and suggestions...XP users should also stop using Internet Explorer since that version is no longer supported and is vulnerable to exploits. Instead, they should use an updated alternate browser.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 cpunoob

cpunoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:04 AM

will switch back to nod

i forgot why i went to avast, 8)

#4 cpunoob

cpunoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:43 PM

i should have asked "free" antivirus 8)

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:56 PM

There are free anti-virus solutions available...see this topic:However, I do not recommend using them on an outdated OS like XP for the reasons noted above.

Keep in mind that an offer of free anti-virus software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version.

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads. In some cases you may be able to disable annoying pop-ups through the anti-virus settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such an option listed, then your only alternative is to switch anti-virus software if the pop-up ads annoy you that much.

Also keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 cpunoob

cpunoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •