Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 fails to install error 8000405

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 spaceghost666

spaceghost666

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:10 PM

Hey there. I'm having a problem upgrading to Windows 10 and any help would be appreciated.

I've tried both the install method using Windows Update and the Media Creation Tool. Neither work. With both, I've achieved a full download and near-complete installation. At some point during the installation process, my computer restarts into Windows 8.1, and I get an error message. Media Creation Tool doesn't specify, but today the error message has been accompanied by the code 8000405. Doing my own research, I visited Microsoft Support and used both Windows Update-fixing troubleshooting tools they suggest, which tell me that the problems have been resolved. After I tried and failed to install Windows 10 again, I searched more and found some potential command line fixes, including running a scan using sfc /scannow, which told me that I have a corrupt CBS.log file. I attempted a fix someone suggested using the Deployment Image Servicing and Management Tool, which said that it made repairs. I tried installing again, and it didn't work, so I uninstalled both Avast and Malwarebytes, did a clean a clean boot and tried to install again, and that didn't work, either.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:36 PM

Hi spaceghost666 :)

We may have a solution for that specific error code. So far, 3-5 users managed to upgrade to Windows 10 after running a certain fix. Let's see if it'll be the same for you. Follow the instructions below please.

EndqYRa.pngSystem File Checker (SFC)
Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system and to provide the CBS log in your next reply;
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command below and press on Enter;
    sfc /scannow
    Note: There's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow";
  • Once the scan is complete, enter the command below and press on Enter
    copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • A file called cbs.txt will have appeared on your Desktop. Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here;
Note: Please note that the CBS.log is volatile, which means that if you don't upload it after the SFC scan is completed, it won't contains the information from the scan anymore. So archive it and upload it as soon as you can.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 spaceghost666

spaceghost666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:39 AM

Thank you for getting handling this so quickly. Here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8lidx5gdefgv8d/cbs.txt?dl=0

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,597 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:14 PM

Sorry for the late reply. Alright, the two corrupted files reported by SFC aren't an issue. Let's run a DISM scan and get the logs.

EndqYRa.pngDISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption
Follow the instructions below to run a DISM scan on your system:
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press on Enter;
  • Let the scan run until the end (100%);
  • Copy the C:\Windows\Logs\DISM folder and C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log file on your Desktop, then right-click on it, go to Send to... and select Compressed .zip archive;
  • Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here;
Note: Please note that the CBS.log is volatile, which means that if you don't upload it after the SFC scan is completed, it won't contains the information from the scan anymore. So archive it and upload it as soon as you can.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 spaceghost666

spaceghost666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:35 PM

Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1bmrs0il1sgkio/CBS.zip?dl=0

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,597 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:28 AM

Your logs are clean. Follow the instructions below please.

EndqYRa.pngSoftwareDistribution - Rename
Follow the instructions below to rename the folders in SoftwareDistribution.
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator
  • Enter the commands below one at the time (press Enter to send it);
    • net stop wuauserv
    • ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download DL.bak
    • net start wuauserv
    • wuauclt.exe /updatenow
This will trigger the Windows 10 upgrade via Windows Update. If it fails, let me know what error code you're getting and upload the following files for me.

C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

unite_blue.png

#7 spaceghost666

spaceghost666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:56 PM

Sorry I took so long to get back to you on this. I had some work to do, and didn't want to risk some OS-related mishap.

I tried the fixes you mentioned. Starting the update from the command line installed old, pending Windows 8.1 updates, but now the Windows 10 update has disappeared. I tried to install using the prompt that appears in my start-up tray, but it stalls, giving me a "Working on it..." message indefinitely. I tried using the Media Creation Tool, and it failed again. The latest error code is 80070652.

Here are the files you wanted.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/umgcfaddbg14wg0/CBS%20-%20Copy.zip?dl=0

Should I just look to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 and update from there? This is absurd. Thank you for your help, again. I haven't heard anything from Microsoft's support people over this, yet.

#8 spaceghost666

spaceghost666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:27 PM

Hey there. I'm still having the same problems and haven't been able to do the upgrade. I'm thankful for the help so far, but I'm still at a loss as to what i should do.

#9 canonsupport

canonsupport

• Banned Spammer
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:13 PM

I was getting the some issues like that while updating OS, but this help me a lot.

You can also check soltuion given here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-found-corrupt-files-but-was-unable-to-fix-now/3bb2755f-57d6-401a-aba1-74d1f2c56ae5?auth=1

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,597 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:15 PM

Sorry space, I saw your post on the 14th but forgot to reply. Follow the instructions below please.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator;
  • Check the following options:
    • List Installed Programs;
    • List Last 10 Event Viewer Errors;
      Yjt97o0.png
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;
Also canon, you cannot fix files reported as corrupted by SFC without replacing them.

unite_blue.png

#11 spaceghost666

spaceghost666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for getting back to me.

Here is the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zudkvastw8npesn/MTB.txt?dl=0

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,597 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:39 PM

Let's give it a slighty different try now.

EndqYRa.pngSoftwareDistribution - Rename
Follow the instructions below to rename the folders in SoftwareDistribution.
  • Enter the commands below one at the time (press Enter to send it);
    • net stop wuauserv
    • ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download DL.bak2
    • ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore DS.bak
    • net start wuauserv
    • wuauclt.exe /updatenow

unite_blue.png

#13 spaceghost666

spaceghost666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:42 PM

Thank you for the quick response. I'm going to wait until at least Thursday to apply this fix, because I have work to do on this machine that's time sensitive.

Again, I appreciate your help.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,597 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:42 PM

All good :)

unite_blue.png

#15 spaceghost666

spaceghost666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:17 AM

So I tried this one. I was getting file name and file path errors for "ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore DS.bak" so I pressed on with the commands. It proceeded to install about eight 8.1 updates and the Windows 10 update option failed. I then thought that the command I just mentioned was case-sensitive, so I tried it again, and it worked, but before that, when I entered "ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download DL.bak2" the command line told me that a file by this name already existed. I went through with the set of commands, and now my update history is erased, no Windows 10 updates are showing up in Windows Update, and the update icon that shows up in my taskbar still gives me the "Working on it..." infinite wait message. I think i botched this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users