Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming PC first build 1500 total

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:32 PM

Hey everyone, a while ago I started a topic asking for advice on how to get started with building a new pc from scratch. Now that I've done some more research and tried to follow advice, I managed to create a list of parts I'd like to use! But I still have some more specific questions, and because these are that much more specific I decided to ask them in a new topic.

Overview of what I mean to achieve:

I'm trying to build a gaming PC that can run current games like Witcher 3, GTA V, etc. on high settings on 1080p and will be able to more or less keep up with future games too. If possible, I'll use it for Photoshop as well, but gaming will be the main feature.

My main questions at the moment are:
- Is the jump from GTX 970 to GTX 980 worth the money with my current overall budget? Or will the 970 perform well enough?
- Is the PSU a properly efficient option for the current build?
- Is my monitor worth it or should I choose an IPS panel monitor that will handle Photoshop better?
- Is there any area that can be downgraded?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3P ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.78 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($81.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($494.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1331.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-07 19:18 EDT-0400

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:48 PM

For 1080p, I should think the GTX970 will be good enough for quite a while.  However, for a 144hz monitor where basically, as I understand it, the higher the FPS the better, then there may be more of a case for a GTX980.  The GTX970 gives a similar performance to the previous generation GTX 780 Ti which was considered top notch, not long ago, while costing a lot less.

For me personally, image quality is more important than high frame rates, and I can clearly tell the difference in image quality between IPS and TN Film panels.  Looking at the latter now, I usually find the lower colour range and dithering quite easy to spot, particularly in darker images, compared to the 24 bit colour output from an IPS screen. The viewing angle on TN types are restrictive (you get a noticeable colour shift when viewing off centre).  However I can understand why a serious gamer would prefer a 144hz panel even if at the expense of colour quality.

I do think TN have improved though and there are other technologies about now too (MVA, PVA, PLS) which trade advantages and disadvantages.  This is a detailed explanation of the different types out there - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

Power supply is fine, and Seasonic is a good quality manufacturer.  A 500w PSU would be enough, but always buy quality here - Seasonic, Superflower etc..  The CPU needs just 84w maximum, and the GPU is based on the power efficient Maxwell architecture.  These are a lot more power efficient than the previous generation, and AMD's alternatives.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:35 AM

Um... the thread title says your currency is Pounds and not USD. All those parts are listed out in USD. Are you just using it to list out the parts and not actually price them?

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#4 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:37 AM

Euros, actually, and yes.. I'm sorry, I couldn't find a proper equivalent, but the price in Euros is about the same as dollars I believe, sometimes more expensive (GPUs and monitors tend to be more expensive)

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:41 AM

Oops. Yeah meant Euros. 

Can you specify your country? Despite all using the same currency, tech prices can vary wildly between Union members. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#6 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:00 AM

Oh good point, I'm from the Netherlands, I would say tech prices are pretty high, unfortunately.. Not as bad as UK (where I go to uni), I think. But if anything would be cheaper in the UK, I'm moving back there soon.

#7 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:19 AM

Did some looking around at the i5-4460 for comparison.

• US average: 190 USD. On sales they'll go for 170-180ish
  • Netherlands average: 190 Euros or 208 USD.
  • British average:155 Pounds or 240 USD.

Lets try the motherboard now since there are many different manufactures for them. Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P

• US average: 105 USD.
  • Netherlands average: 135 Euros or 148 USD
  • Britain average: 100 Pounds or 154$ USD

Yeah you're safer buying in the Netherlands. Granted your part selection will be smaller since not as many companies ship to Netherlands as they do to Britain.  

EDIT:

The US generally will have the lowest prices since we get all the new tech first (besides Japan), and thus by the time everyone else gets it it'll already be a bit dated and the prices dropped accordingly.

Some companies will pull a flat universal price type thing. Where they'll make the price for a item 130$ USD, 130€, and 130£.

Our import tax is also pretty low for larger companies. With that in mind, even though the parts might be getting imported from Taiwan and not made here, it'll still have the same price as a if that larger tech item was made in the US (sometimes even cheaper since the import tax can cost less then operational expenses in the US). 

Edited by SEANIA, 08 August 2015 - 11:32 AM.

#8 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:12 PM

I'm definitely very jealous of US pricing haha! Unfortunately, with local import taxing and shipping rates, it's probably not really worth ordering from America.

Luckily the major brands mentioned in the above list are also available in the Netherlands, I think I'm most limited when it comes to cases. I've made some changes to the list in the meantime (1440p IPS monitor, since I decided I do very much value that, and GTX970 instead of 980, switched Antec for Seasonic).

What I'm most stuck on is the motherboard, as it connects everything. I know I don't need the Z97 chipset as I'm not going to OC, but I'm mostly still a bit confused about the many other features and how they'll combine with the components I've chosen.

Edit: I'm having some doubts on the GTX 970 vs AMD Radeon R9 390, as the latter has more vram and supposedly performs better at higher resolutions like 1440p.

Edited by MsImAQuickStudy, 09 August 2015 - 09:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users