Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emergency battery packs available?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:24 PM

A guy in a flight sim forum asked us this below and I just wonder if any Bleeping members have got any advice I could pass on to him? Thanks-

I live out in the country and we face power failures fairly regularly . I have a 7500 watt generator with a special panel BUT I require a minimum of 2 to 3 minutes to get the generator started and have power for the computer and the house utilities etc...
Presently,when the power stops, my computer stops as well until I restore power via my generator.
Any suggestions as too options I could look at to supply power during the time that the power goes off and I get my generator going ???
Someone mentioned "APC battery pack" could be installed to cover the few minutes required to get my generator going.... this way my computer would still be operating thus giving me the required time to shut down my computer properly etc....or simply continue working .
The whole point is for me to be able to shut down my computer properly and avoid power surge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:37 PM

This is exactly one reason why UPS's are made ... to give you time to power things down properly .. or in this guy's case.. to crank up his generator.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:48 PM

If you select smaller sized UPS units, 1500 VAH rating, it will keep a  monitor and computer running for at least an hour.  That's a small price to insure things don't go bust during an outage.

#4 werbepeo

werbepeo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:37 AM

you select smaller sized UPS units, 1500 VAH rating, it will keep a  monitor and computer running for at least an hour.  That's a small price to insure things don't go bust during an outage.19.gif

Edited by werbepeo, 09 August 2015 - 07:38 AM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:57 AM

I have a 600 that will keep me up for at least 15-20 minutes, enough time to go out to fire up the gen set. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:54 PM

Thanks guys, I'm passing your advice on to him..:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users