Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft wants you to pay $15 for DVD playback in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:48 PM

If you partake in Microsoft's free upgrade offer from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed without warning. In its place, a new app called Windows DVD Player has been added to the Windows Store. It costs the princely sum of £11.59, or $14.99/€14,89 if you live in the terrifyingly parched wastes outside Blighty.

Updated: A number of commenters are reporting that the Windows 10 upgrade tool does warn you that you're about to lose Windows Media Center.

Microsoft doesn't exactly hide the fact that Windows 10 forcibly deprecates Media Center, but the information isn't in the most obvious of locations either. If you visit the Windows 10 upgrade website, and then click the "Windows 10 specifications" link in the small print at the bottom of the page, there's a big list of deprecated features. Media Center is the main one, but you'll be dismayed to hear that Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts have also been removed.

Now, the good news: if your computer had Media Center before the upgrade (most versions of Windows 7, or Windows 8/8.1 with Media Center), you will be credited with a free copy of Windows DVD Player. In practice, this means that most people upgrading from Windows 7 will have access to the Windows DVD Player app for free, while most Windows 8 upgraders won't. Likewise, if you bought a full Windows 10 Home or Pro licence, or a new Windows 10 computer, you won't be eligible to download the DVD Player app for free.

For almost 12 of your good pounds, you'd expect the Windows DVD Player to be a polished, feature-rich replacement for Media Center. Sadly, that isn't the case. The official screenshot at the top of the story says it all: this app really is just a bland blue box that plays DVDs when you slot one in. It doesn't play Blu-ray discs, it doesn't play VOB backups from your hard drive, and, well, it basically doesn't replicate any of Media Center's useful features (DVR, image slideshows, media organisation, etc.)

Microsoft wants you to pay $15 for DVD playback in Windows 10

And the charging  starts. How's that free upgrade looking now? And I bet it wont be long before they block 3rd party players.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:48 PM

And the charging  starts. How's that free upgrade looking now? And I bet it wont be long before they block 3rd party players.

Exactly. Unauthorized hardware is in the EULA, How much longer before it changes to include unauthorized software? $15 to play a DVD you can do for free with VLC? I think Microsoft just when off the deep end.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:20 PM

Unauthorized hardware is in the EULA,

I wonder what they mean by unauthorised hardware? My desktop is custom built, and never had Windows installed, therefore its non OEM, Geez my whole PC could be classed as unauthorised, Couldn't it?

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:43 PM

It's very vague.  I can see the unauthorized hardware bit applying to an Xbox (unofficial mods have caused many an Xbox to be blacklisted and unable to access online services).  Perhaps it could also apply to a phone or tablet, where a modification could be used for some purpose, perhaps adding functionality they don't want you to have?  If I understand correctly they are "harmonising" Windows 10 across all of these devices, and I presume it applies more to them.  I don't see how it applies to a PC.  If I go and buy a collection of PC components, put them together, how is any of it authorized or unauthorized?

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:55 AM

Maybe unofficial Xbox controllers too?

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:08 AM

Perhaps you might want to look at why Windows Media Player was removed from the UK edition.

Additionally, as far as I know, Media Player has never played DVDs without additional software being installed.  This is due to the requirement to license the DVD decryption.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.  I use Cyberlink's PowerDVD Ultra and it costs a lot more than $15.

#7 TCSNinc

TCSNinc

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:15 AM

Maybe unofficial Xbox controllers too?

Logitech did a lot to help Windows OS's back in the 90's/ Early 2000's - be real dirty for MS to pull one on them like that

I do know that getting my wireless F710's to work in 8.1 took some advanced fiddling but recent patches over the past six months

are now starting to recognize the game pad automatically (incidentally Logitech (for some mysterious reason) has pushed the price up on it's game pads over the past six months...now cost a little more than the official MS game pad here in Zealand.)

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:29 AM

Perhaps you might want to look at why Windows Media Player was removed from the UK edition.

Additionally, as far as I know, Media Player has never played DVDs without additional software being installed.  This is due to the requirement to license the DVD decryption.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.  I use Cyberlink's PowerDVD Ultra and it costs a lot more than $15.

I also use Cyberlink's PowerDVD Ultra, but only because it plays Blu Rays in full DTS HD Master Audio.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:20 PM

If you want to play DVD's use Zoom Player free version, works OK with W10.

Some people just like to bash Microsoft, and they are not happy about any new OS that is not  made by a Penguin !

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

One three letter phrase: VLC.

This "Unauthorized hardware is in the EULA, How much longer before it changes to include unauthorized software?" however is very concerning, another reason I won't ever be upgrading.

Edited by rp88, 08 August 2015 - 12:27 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

Do people ever bother to read the posts in a thread?

Kilroy in post number 6 gave us a link to explain why Media Player is not in the current download of W10.

If you bother to read that linked post you will see that Microsoft is not to blame for the missing Media Player, but the European Union is!

You can download all the Media Player programs from the link in that post!

#12 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:10 AM

VLC was developed in France, and it is based of French laws which do not allow patents on software (like the MPEG-2 decoder and Dolby Digital licence) so the developers of VLC do not have to pay for licence and they can make VLC free.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#13 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:35 AM

Actually,I use the K-Lite codec pack for Windows10,comes with media player classic and it has worked fine ever since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users