Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older DVD's not being recognized.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 harryhh

harryhh

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

I have some older DVD-RW, 3 to 7 years I think, that aren't being recognized by windows 7 or Nero 8. It's as if the machine doesn't even know that they are there. If I click on the drive, it says to insert a disk. Some of the older DVD's are recognized. Maybe it's just the oldest of them with a problem.

Is there a way I can recover these DVD's?

Thanks,

Harry

Can't keep up with the computer stuff anymore. It's getting beyond me.  :mellow:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:01 PM

Take a look at PhotoRec. It is part of Testdisk for Windows. Do not use QPhotoRec in the unzipped folder as it is not as powerful as PhotoRec. The folder you unzip PhotoRec to is the default location for recovery. If PhotoRec does not work there is a command used with a linux recovery disk that may give better results but see if PhotoRec can recover any of your files from the DVD first. 

#3 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:20 PM

This tip won't help you with your current problem. Before archiving any more data, Take a look at this article.

Torture testing the 1,000 year DVD.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/torture-testing-the-1000-year-dvd/

#4 harryhh

harryhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:35 PM

Thanks JohnC_21. I'll look that over. . . . . .  Photorec detected my three HDD's but didn't find my DVD. Plus, that program looks like it's a bit over my head.  . . . . . If I put a good DVD in the drive, Photorec will find the DVD drive, but not with a 'bad' DVD. Do you still think this linux recovery disk might work?

And for mainer21 also, 

From what I have been reading, and something I had forgotten, the data on CD's and DVD's doesn't last forever. Aparently the dyes used in the disks fade after a while. Seems to me it should last 7 years though. Maybe I exposed them to too much prolonged sunlight at some time. Maybe the data has faded.

I've read that if you write the disk at a slow speed, it will be imprinted better and last longer. Conversely, I would think that reading the data at a slow speed would more reliably find it.

Problem is, my machine isn't even recognizing that these older disks are in the drive. I suppose there could be a number of reasons for this. But, if the reason is because of 'faded' data, I really don't know, but I'm thinking that if I find a program that takes control of the drive, spins it, and tries to read the disk at a slow speed, it might be able to find the data.

I don't know if that makes sense. I don't know if 'faded' data is the problem. And, I don't know if there is any such program.

Any other free programs that might help? Any ideas to try?

Can't keep up with the computer stuff anymore. It's getting beyond me.  :mellow:

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:24 AM

You should have mentioned in the thread title that you were dealing with DVD RWs, your thread title only says DVDs. What CODEC are these older DVD RWs encoded with? That makes a big difference.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:53 AM

If you have trouble with PhotoRec, the linux solution is even more difficult. Try software like Easeus Data Recovery first. It is not free but you can see if it will pick up any files on the DVD. It should try and scan the disk, but if PhotoRec could not scan the DVD, I am not sure Easeus or the linux solution will work either. The disk has to be detected first. One thing that may work is to spray some Pledge furniture polish onto a small microcloth and gently wipe the surface of the DVD. I would do this as a last resort.

#7 harryhh

harryhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:56 PM

Okay guys, thanks for the help, but I think the disks are just bad.

I cleaned the disks and took two of them with data I figured I could loose, and tried to format them. One of them it tried to format but couldn't. The other it didn't even recognize that a disk was in the drive.

I guess these disks are too far gone.

Thanks for the help guys,

Harry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users