Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade 8.1 to 10 questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:40 PM

I just reserved my copy of Win 10, dunno when I will get it. I intend to do an upgrade via update, unless there is a reason I shouldn't. I really do not want to go through the hassle of a clean install.

first question is what happens with the EFI, Restore Tools and Restore Image partitions that are currently on my boot drive, which were put there by Windows. Do they get updated, do I get even more "extra" partitions, or what. Similarly, will I end up with any useless partitions (e.g. the Restore Image partition) that I can destroy afterwards.

2nd question is what should I enable or disable, run or avoid running prior to updating? I already intend to disable Secure Boot and un-install Norton Security Suite before I start the upgrade - will re-enable Secure Boot afterwards and install latest version of Norton afterwards. I have also seen it suggested to run Tweaking.com Windows Repair, before upgrading -but I have zero experience with that program. I already have a recent backup image of my OS in case things go very wrong.

3rd question is about System Restore. I am thinking of just disabling it before upgrading, since I don't know what would happen if I try to restore to a 8.1 restore point from 10. Is there a reason to leave it on?

Probably have more questions later, but this is all for now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:13 PM

I can't answer all your questions, but I left restore on in W7 and update worked, I don't think your old restore points would be carried over.

I turned off all my security software, some say uninstall them but turning them off worked for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users