Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Lily93

Lily93

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

Yesterday when I was working, my computer restarted itself. As it was restarting, some message about overclocking having failed appeared. I don't know much about hardware, but can't imagine that anything I was doing would caused it.

After it re-started, I worked for several hours more without issue. Shutdown was normal.

This morning, it wouldn't boot. The message I get is

Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

I went into the bios and looked at the boot sequence. There are two drives plus the CD drive. I didn't know which one should be first. Using one drive gives a message of no operating system, and the other gives the above message.

With the Win7 disc in, when the System Recovery options are up, there is no operating system showing. When I try to use Startup Repair, it says that it cannot fix the problems automatically.

Those error messages are:

Problem event name Startup Repair Offline
Problem Signature 01: 0.0.0.0
Problem Signature 02: 0.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 0
Problem Signature 05: unknown
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: unknown
OS version 6.17600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale id 1033

Using the cmd prompt window, I was able to chkdsk c:/f/r

that took a few hours. Then end message was Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50

When the System Recovery Options window is open, it doesn't list an operating system

I'm an independent contractor, and of course, this happens while I have a major project w/ a deadline. Any advice is appreciated. Apologies for typos, I'm on mobile.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lily93

Lily93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:32 PM

I dug up a Hirens disc. Via it, I can do a boot into mini xp. I can access my D drive. When I attempt to open C it says it is not formatted and asks me if I want to.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:55 PM

Using chkdsk may have made things worse. In the System Recovery Options access a command prompt. Type the following commands followed by enter.

dispart

list volume      Post the output of this command. Hopefully you do not see the C: volume listed as RAW under the FS heading.

exit

#4 Lily93

Lily93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:32 AM

I typed

diskpart (enter) list volume (enter)

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7600
Copyright © 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation
On Computer: MININT-ED4L8TK

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
--------------- ---- ------- ---- ----- ------ -------- -----
Volume 0 E GRMCPRXFREO UDF DVD-ROM 3075 MB Healthy
Volume 1 F DVD-ROM 0 B No Media
Volume 2 C Storage Dri NTFS Partition 931 GB Healthy
Volume 3 D RAW Partition 74 GB Healthy
Volume 4 G Removable 0 B No Media

DISKPART>

---------------------------------------------------------

That is what I see. If something doesn't look right, let me know, and I will check it again. I had no way of copy/paste, so I typed it to replicate. Thank you!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,844 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:46 AM

I am not sure how you were able to access your D partition with Hirens as it is RAW unless the letters were transposed. When you explored the partition you could open in Hirens, did it have a folder called Windows and another as Users? This does not look like a normal Windows 7 partition structure.

Please do the following. Open a Command Prompt again and type

Diskpart

list disk

select disk X    -    Where X would be a disk number listed that is roughly 1000MB in size. This should be your Windows disk

list partition     -     Post the output. You only need to post the number, type and size.

#6 Lily93

Lily93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:17 PM

I'm sorry, I mis-understood what you were asking. I was using my Win 7 disc and not Hirens.

Using Hirens, I launched Mini XP, and then went to Command prompt. I typed

Diskpart

List Disk ( 3 were listed, 2 @ 75 gb, one at 932)

Select Disk 0 (this was the biggest one at 932 GB)

List Partition

Partition 1 Primary 932 GB (offset 1024kb)

edit: To answer your question, when using Hirens and looking in Windows Explorer at my D drive, I didn't see any Windows or User folders. Only the folders that I recognized as ones that I had created

Edited by Lily93, 08 August 2015 - 12:20 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,844 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:02 PM

How many internal HDDs are in the computer? Can you do the same thing for the other two 75GB disks. List the partition after selecting the Disk #. According to post#4 your C: drive is healthy and your D is RAW so I am not sure how you were able to explore D:

Was the disk you were able to explore in Hirens the 932GB disk?

#8 Lily93

Lily93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:59 PM

I first re-did the very first thing that you asked me to using Hirens instead of the Win7 disk.  Those results are different than what I first got.

Volume 0   F  Hirens Bood  CDFS  DVID ROM  278 MB

Volume 1   G                                    DVD ROM      0B

Volume 2  D  Storage Dri   NTFS    Partition          932 GB  Healthy

Volume 3  C                                    Partition        100  MB  Healthy

Volume 4  E                                   Partition         149 GB   Healthy      

I think there are two HDDs. The C drive has (or had) my Windows, program files,and other random stuff.     I had most of my pictures stored on D.

Then I did a new Command Prompt, and got the information for the two 75 gb disks.  

Disk 1

Partition 1  Primary   100 MB  

Partition 2 Primary     149 gb

-------

Disk 2

There are no partitions on this disk to show. 

--------

I'm going to try attaching some pictures.  Apologies if they are upside down; I  can't them to rotate correctly. 

Yes, the disk I am able to open in Hirens is the 932GB.

Attached File  11.jpg   80.73KB   0 downloads

Attached File  1.jpg   73.11KB   0 downloads

Attached File  2.jpg   89.92KB   0 downloads

Attached File  3.jpg   60.49KB   0 downloads

Attached File  4.jpg   64.07KB   0 downloads

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,844 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:20 PM

This looks bad. The 100 MB partition is or was your System Reserved Partition and it shows as having no files system and it not having any data, the same is true for the 149GB partition which also has no file system and and no data. Both have 100% free space. What is strange is when you use the list disk command disk 1 shows up as 75GB but listing the partitions on disk 1 after selecting it shows up as about 149GB. C and E are the partitions that would boot to windows and there is no data on them. No partitions show on Disk2. I think somehow your partition table got mangled.

Do you know what version of Hirens you have?

Do the following. Boot Hirens but do not select MiniXP. Select Dos Programs >  Recovery Programs > TestDisk. Do a Quick Search. It should find your two partitions of 100MB and 149GB. Highlight both and press the "P" key. Do you see any files listed? If you do not see the 100MB and 149GB partitions do a deeper search.

#10 Lily93

Lily93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

Hirens says it is 9.9.  I have had it for a long time, so probably outdated.

I do not see an option to select Dos Programs

I have

Boot from Hard Drive

Start Mini Windows XP
Windows Memory Diagnostic

I can try to find a newer version if that would be helpful. 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,844 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:40 PM

Yes, you would need v15.2. There are many more tools on it. It may be better to use a linux disk called Parted Magic. You can download the iso here then burn to a CD using another computer. If you know someone with another comptuer they could do it for you or possibly have it done at a library. Was this a custom build as I do not see an OEM recovery partition.

I can't promise we will get windows back even using Testdisk as it does look bad. You may have to reinstall the OS.

#12 Lily93

Lily93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:59 PM

I drug out my old emergency dinosaur computer, and got 15.2.  

When I select Test Disk, it flashes a few things on the screen...one of which asks me about a keyboard. Then it offers options about creating a log.  I don't see any option of selecting Quick Search or the ability to go deeper.  I told it to create a new log file.  I only see the two 75GB and one 932GB.  

My son bought it new,from Digital Storm, then I got it from him.   I had this stuff in mail, so I copied it over in case you needed it.

----

1x … CoolerMaster HAF-X (942) Desktop Chassis
            1x … Intel i7 950 3.06Ghz Quad Core Processor 
            1x … Asus Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) Motherboard
            3x … 2GB DDR3 2000Mhz Corsair Dominator GT RAM (6GB Total)
            1x … Corsair Pro Gold Series 1200W Power Supply (CMPSU-1200AX)                            

2x … NVIDIA Geforce GTX 580 1.5GB EVGA Superclocked GPU (SLI)                         

2x … Intel 80GB SSD (X25-M MLC) (RAID 0 Array, 160GB Total)                                               

1x … 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 7200RPM HDD                                                  

1x … DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW LightScribe Drive                                                                              

1x … Blu-Ray Player/DVD Player Drive                                                                                           

1x … Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance CPU Cooler                                                  

1x … Windows 7 Operating System

----

I understand that you can't promise anything.  But I assure you that the odds are better with you advising me than not.  I'm not good with this kind of thing. :)

I will download the Linux disk. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  5.jpg   72.86KB   0 downloads

Edited by Lily93, 08 August 2015 - 06:01 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,844 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:13 PM

2x … Intel 80GB SSD (X25-M MLC) (RAID 0 Array, 160GB Total)  

That is the reason you see two 80GB drives and list disk for disk 1 showed two partitions that equaled the two 80GB drives (100MB and 149GB). I don't have any experience with RAID setups unfortunately and I am not sure how to use Testdisk on a RAID setup. I personally try to avoid RAID as it complicates things for troubleshooting.

When you highlight the first 80GB disk and select Proceed what happens? Does it detect two partitions?

#14 Lily93

Lily93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:28 PM

I selected Proceed for the first 80GB disc. I did not go past the screen that has the option of Analyze, as I didn't know what would happen.

Attached File  7.jpg   80.25KB   0 downloads

Attached File  6.jpg   81.06KB   0 downloads

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,844 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:33 PM

Go ahead and select Analyze. As long as you do not select Write you are okay. It will only read the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users