Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 will not load desktop after log-in; just a black screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Icepoet

Icepoet

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:25 PM

I installed the Windows 10 download last night and everything seemed to go smoothly...until the log-in screen came up.  I logged in with my password, hit enter -  got the "welcome" and it transitioned to a black screen with no icons, no background, no task bar.  The cursor is active and movable, left and right clicks do nothing.  The only thing that shows is my Comodo "Secure" notification box in the top right-hand corner.  I've attempted to (by shutdown and restarting) to get to a desktop without success.  I then tried a Safe Mode start by waiting for the log-in page, holding Shift, and using the power icon at the bottom of the log-in page to restart.  I was successful, at first.  Was able to do a reset, and re-install windows 10....my desktop came up and I thought all was good.  But when I restarted after downloading my Chrome browser (which had been removed during the reset/reinstall, the same thing happened - after log-in, no desktop, icons, etc.  I was going to do a Safe Mode again, but the log-in page now has only two icons at the bottom instead of three.  Originally, there was a "connect to the internet" icon; a 'ease of access" icon, and a "power" icon with choice of restart, shutdown, sleep.  Now there are only two icons...the connect & ease of icons.  So I can't even get into Safe Mode now.  I went to the microsoft support page....they have a 200 minute wait for call-backs and similar wait for on-line chat.  I'm hoping someone has a suggestion. I might mention I'm 68 years old and not very well-versed in computers.

UPDATE:  Microsoft finally called me back - was on the phone with them for about 1 1/2 hours....they tried everything to get me into safe mode (ctrl+alt+del; ctrl+shift+esc; win+R, etc..).  Nothing.  After two 15 minute "holds" where they sought help from a supervisor (who had them try the 'unplug' computer, see if it reboots to recovery screen....No, it didn't), they finally decided to "kick me up" to a Level 2 Engineer who will call me on Sunday, Aug 9th, around 2:00 pm.  I'll come back and update this after Sunday, but will also check back for any replies/suggestions between now and then.  

Edited by Icepoet, 08 August 2015 - 12:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:55 PM

Hi,

Do you have the Windows 10 DVD or another PC to download and burn the Windows 10 DVD?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Icepoet

Icepoet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:54 PM

Hello, SleepyDude...thank you for dropping by.  No, I do not have a Windows 10 DVD, I had previously reserved a update download for my Win 8.1, and was notified it was ready (via the windows icon on my bottom task bar).  I proceeded to download it, and then the problem began after it "successfully" downloaded/installed and presented me with a log-in screen.  I logged in, and it went immediately to the black screen (no background, icons, etc.)  My brother lives close by, and has a computer I could use.  Not sure how to go about downloading the Win 10 and burning it to a DVD....I believe he also has Win 8.1, and is waiting to see if I resolve this problem before he downloaded his Win 10.  

I may be misunderstanding your suggestion....would he be able to download his reserved Win 10 to a DVD rather than to his drive?

Edited by Icepoet, 08 August 2015 - 07:39 PM.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:31 AM

Hi,

You can download Windows 10 directly from Microsoft here download the Media Creation tool, and run it, make sure you select the same language and edition of windows you have, the download will take some time.

The tool can put Windows 10 into an USB flash drive but I recommend you select the option to download the ISO and burn the DVD because in some machines it could be difficult to boot from USB

In the end of the process the tool will give you instructions how to burn the DVD.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 Wiko78

Wiko78

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:34 AM

Hi Icepoet,

How did things go with Microsoft? I just have got the exact same issue you describe, after an upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10.

So I was wondering what the solution is.

#6 MrxKrlt

MrxKrlt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:40 PM

Wiko, My computer is the same and has the same problem, I got it working again, All i did was turn my off computer and unplug any external things such as mouses and stuff, Then as the computer turned on i clicked (esc) when i was in the little startup cmd menu thing and it started working again

Edited by MrxKrlt, 05 February 2016 - 11:40 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users