Hi, I received an e-mail notification from my ISP that my computer is infected w/ Zbot. (See notification copy at end of this post) Copies of this notification were sent to all of my accounts associated with the ISP. These notifications do not appear to be spoofs. I tried several different scanners and none indicated a problem. Details about my system and what I "tried" follow.
I need help in determining if I have a virus problem or not and how to resolve any identified virus problems. Any help will be very much appreciated. TIA,
OS - Win10 Pro X64
Malwarebytes Antimalware did not detect a problem.
Malwarebytes AntiRootkit did not detect a problem
Symantec Zbot Removal tool (FixNecurs64bit.exe) did not indicate a problem
Symantec Morton Power Eraser (NPE.exe) did not indicate a problem
AVG Zbot Removal tool (avg_remover_zbot.exe) freezes up `10 minutes into a scan.
NOTIFICATION FROM ISP
From: Cox Customer Safety [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Friday, August 7, 2015 9:04 AM
Subject: [8.7.2015 26138503] Compromised Computer Notification from Cox Communications
Cox has identified that one or more of the computers behind your cable modem are likely infected with the Zeus Trojan/bot, also known as Zbot.
While this malicious software is not new, it still poses a great risk to your computer and files that reside on your hard drive.
Zeus malware uses keylogging in order to access user names and passwords and infected over 13 million computers worldwide.
We recommend you take the following action:
1. Visit the Microsoft or Symantec website, download and run the FREE removal tool:
After running the free Microsoft removal tool, if you already have security software installed on your system:
2) Follow your security software's instructions to download the latest updates (also known as "virus definitions")
3) When the new definitions have been loaded, perform a full virus scan on your system.
If you do not already have security software on your computer, we recommend the Cox Security Suite powered by McAfee, which is included at no extra charge with your service.
To install the Cox Security Suite powered by McAfee:
1) Visit https://myaccount.cox.net/ and click on Internet Tools
2) Log-in with your primary account User ID
3) Select the Security Suite link to download and install the software
4) When the install is complete, the program will automatically conduct a full scan
If you have any questions regarding this matter, please call us at 800-753-6085 and provide the reference number provided in the subject of this email.
If you would like additional information on the Zeus botnet we recommend these articles:
Cox Customer Safety