Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer skipping regular black lines

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Qifor

Qifor

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:48 PM

I have a HP 6510 that is having a strange problem I have been unable to fix. I have uploaded some scans to make it clearer.

http://imgur.com/a/0TMI7

That first image is actually supposed to be a full table but as you can see it only prints a small amount, just a few mm then skips over a cm and repeats all the way down.

The second and third image show that 1) There is some variation in it and 2) That even when its skipping the text it still prints the grey background colour. Those two are printed from a PDF if that might explain the 2nd point at all.

It is only effecting the Black, everything else prints fine. Naturally my first step was to change the black ink cartridge which was only a few days old anyway, this didn't fix it. I have also ran the printers alignment and print head cleaning programs multiple times. Including the print clean included on the software that allows for a deeper clean if the initial clean fails. None of this has helped. I have also cleaned the printer and cartridge contacts as instructed on the HP website.

This happens when printing and also when copying a scanned page so its not a problem with the settings on the computer or anything like that.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:53 PM

It looks like the output of a damaged or clogged print head.  I had a printer that I had in storage for some time (it was a good one too) when I had an ouput that looks similar epson said there was probably dried ink in the print head and would need a new one and when I found out how much one was going to be .. I bought a new printer... LOL  I also found this post on HP.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 07 August 2015 - 02:03 PM.

#3 Qifor

Qifor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:33 PM

Hmm would that lead to such consistent and perfect cut offs on the text though? Seems to me that would leave more random and faded areas. This is printing in full black ink then the very next pixel down nothing and repeating in the exact same pattern perfectly equal all the way down the page.

I can see it being the printer head or some sort of related issue however which clearly would be a fairly difficult and messy task to even attempt to fix going by your link. :(

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:48 PM

I have "not" tried this but it was relayed to me by a Major Geek kid, swears it works more often then not.  Take the cartridge out put a few drops of alcohol on the felt, put it back and run it through a cleaning cycle.  Like I said have not tried it, but alcohol dies soften ink so it may be worth a try.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Qifor

Qifor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:59 PM

Well I'm at the point where I either need to get it working or buy a new one so I went ahead and tried that. Possibly noticed a slight improvement in the black ink quality but its still skipping lines.

It's not something I expect to fix it but I will leave it overnight and then give it another clean through tomorrow and see. The fact the ink is coming through and printing outside of those sections it misses in a regular pattern makes me highly doubtful its a problem with the ink. But it does seem like the print head is to blame in some way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users