Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Might Be Wrong Thread-Autoruns Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 timipz

timipz

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:59 AM

Please could some.one with experience of Autoruns help me I thought I was understanding the instructions and the program....but nealy everything I enter into the database to check is coming back as unknown.

I must be doing something wrong...Please im not a pc expert in fact the complete opposite.

When I go to open the saved snapshot file it pops up that the file is corrupt.

Im going wrong somewhere some guidance from a understanding person would be a great help.

Thank you Tim

Edited by timipz, 07 August 2015 - 12:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:53 PM

I've been using Autoruns for years, but I don't understand what you're trying to do. Can you be more specific?

#3 timipz

timipz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:24 PM

mmacefilters.dll           Thank you and sorry for being a bit vague I wasn't sure how to describe my problem properly,Iv ran Autoruns for the first time and saved a log file,there are severel yellow results and a couple of red results,but what im finding to be the problem is when I try to copy and paste the .exe or .dll etc in the search box on this site nearly all of them are coming back unknown,im sure im copying and searching the right part.iv chosen to have all the Microsoft results removed from my list so there was no chance of me interfering with them, I copied one of the results here but for some reason it went to the beginning of this post.am I able to copy the whole result page on to here so that you could see it?

Any help would be great Is that a bit clearer on what im trying to describe.

Thank you Tim

#4 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:35 PM

What exactly are you looking for, and why use Autoruns?

You can save a file as a Text file instead of an .arn file. That way, you'll be able to copy/paste the text in your next reply.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:18 PM

If you want us to see your Autoruns file, I suggest you to save it in an .arn format and attach it here. This way we'll be able to download it and open it on our system and see all the colors you're talking about (yellow and pink mostly). Yellow stands for "File not found", it means that the file associated with the Autorun entry cannot be found. Some of these are normal, some of these aren't and some of these are just not useful anymore. Pink entries means that the file isn't signed if I recall correctly so it could be "malicious" (even thought a lot of legitimate files aren't signed).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 timipz

timipz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

Sorry im really bad at trying to describe things thank you for being paitent with me,iv now resolved the problem I was having and totally understand what I was trying to achieve it was a very simple mistake I was entering the results I wanted researched into the wrong search box...yes im a fool but thank you.i did find 4 pieces of adware in my start up but these are now dealt with and and all my startups that didn't need to be running are now stopped..and pups removed.

thank you I shall make sure im using the right search box next time

Tim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users