Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does this seem like a reasonable purchase?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Austini333

Austini333

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:45 AM

I've been thinking about getting a gaming PC for a while just to be able to play some games on high graphics at good FPS. I was considering building one but have since visited a few sites which custom build gaming PCs and the prices seem to be quite reasonable so I'm wondering if anyone can give me their opinion on this PC I'm considering buying from Overclockers.co.uk?

BitFenix Neos ATX Tower Black/Black

Intel Core i5-4690 3.50GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail

Asus H81M-PLUS Intel H81 (Socket 1150) DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard

Intel Retail Cooler

TeamGroup Elite Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (TPKD38G1600HC11DC01)

Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Dual-X 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (11242-02-20G)

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST1000DM003) HDD

OcUK 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM

Corsair Builder Series CX 430W V2 '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply (CP-9020046-UK)

This would come to £621.30 inc VAT which seemed pretty reasonable to me. I've never purchased a PC before and so I was wondering if this seemed like a reasonably priced entry level gaming PC or whether I should perhaps go for an AMD processor instead or could it in fact be possible to build a PC like this for a lot cheaper? Also does anyone have any experience from buying from a site such as this? I don't want to be given the wrong components or anything haha. Any help is much appreciated :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:54 AM

That is quite overpriced for a entry level gaming PC (almost $1000 USD). Usually entry level gaming PCs are £300-500 ($475-700 USD). Here's a good entry-level build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/gigapouch/saved/n38xFT

I am actually typing this on that very computer in the partslist. It handles very well for a PC that price, and it has gone down in price $100 over the past few months.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 Austini333

Austini333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for showing me that! Keep in mind though the prices of parts here in the UK are different... Would you consider what I was thinking about buying not worth it at all then?

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:37 PM

I mean, it is fine for a mid-range to high end gaming rig but not a entry level one.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 Austini333

Austini333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:00 PM

Okay. I mean I just want to be able to play games like Heroes of the Storm and WoW at high graphics. I understand that I could probably go for cheaper components but is it still okay value for money considering that I'm quite an avid gamer?

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:42 PM

Then if you want a PC that does that, it is just right. But I would rather have a PC with 1 8GB module instead of 2 4GBs so there's room for upgrades. Last, if I were to spend $950 on a computer, I would probably want it to have an i7. :)

#7 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:22 PM

If you have the money, an SSD for your OS really makes a noticeable improvement in performance.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,036 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:11 PM

I bought this for $350 AUD

Used for BC, browsing, emails, pics, music...not a great deal else...

Windows 8 has been installed and all up to date.

Specs
Case: Coolermaster Elite
CPU: Intel i7 920
RAM: 4GB 1600mhz Kingston hyper x blu
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
HDD: 250gb sata
PSU: Coolermaster 500w RS500
Graphics Card: XFX GTX260

Upgraded to Win 8.1 (with the help of cat1092....thanks mate!)

Then upgraded to Win 10.....easy as pie...

The two process took approx 2.5 hours...no hiccups

I think I have myself a bargain.

It runs like the wind !!

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users