Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going back to 7 & 8

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:35 AM

Very good and simple instructions to down grade, I hope moderators will pin this.  You only have one month after the install of 10 to go back to 7 or 8, so be sure to make up your mind within the first 30 days.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-8-easy-3615606/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:09 AM

You have 30 days to be exact, and also the windows.old folder needs to still be on the system for this option to work.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:19 AM

Just to make it clear...

You have 30 days to be exact, and also the windows.old folder needs to still be on the system for this option to work.

After the 30 days the options to revert are:

- restore the system using some image backup created before the upgrade

- reinstall using the Windows Installation Media or some recover medium created by the user (when available) or provided by the manufacture of the machine

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:51 AM

I wouldn't trust that windows.old.  LOTS of reports in wilderssecurity and tenforums and microsoft community about reverts that don't work, reports of files being corrupted or missing.

Windows.old changes when you get Win10 updates, too.  CLONE CLONE CLONE is the only way you can be sure of reverting.  Even restoring a backup, requires WinPE or other pre-Win steps which your software might not do rightly, since the mbr for 10 differs from the mbr for 8 and/or 7.

Macrium Reflect for Clone (its PE I don't trust, have lots of licenses for 5 Pro and they seem to never work rightly).  Macrium practices smart sector cloning, so you can clone a 120 GB drive with only 50 GB used, onto a 64 GB stick. So that's why I recommend it first.  Since last September, Macrium can't handle logical drives well, so if your drive is partitioned in 4 pieces (which would be a 8/10 dual boot scenario) then cloning might not work.  Maybe it will, but it borks my 4-partition machine (which is only Win7 with four partitions).

Or, Clonezilla which won't do smart sector cloning, anymore.  It used to do it, but something happened last September.

Edited by brainout, 07 August 2015 - 10:53 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:11 AM

My experience was that reverting back to Windows 8.1 did not resolve the issue created, HDMI audio only stereo, by going to Windows 10.  I had to perform a Windows Refresh once I got back to Windows 8.1.  The Refresh kept my data, but all software needed to be reinstalled.  After the Refresh my HDMI audio was back to a 5.1 configuration.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:18 AM

I wouldn't trust that windows.old.  LOTS of reports in wilderssecurity and tenforums and microsoft community about reverts that don't work, reports of files being corrupted or missing.

I have used it and it worked just fine.

One thing is for sure if the windows installation isn't working 100% most likely the upgrade to Windows 10 can go wrong if the option select is to preserve the data and programs.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:13 PM

I think the windows.old folder does a pretty good job to be honest. This is what Windows uses to restore your previous copy of Windows if the upgrade goes wrong. It worked for me twice during my unsuccessful upgrades.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:33 PM

Macrium Reflect for Clone (its PE I don't trust, have lots of licenses for 5 Pro and they seem to never work rightly).

Were the PE images which did not work rightly verified?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users