Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my current RAM and Video Card, just had some questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dilute

Dilute

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:13 AM

Hi, I'm planning to upgrade my current rig with a newer graphic card, some more RAM and to compliment all that, a new PSU. Now, I'm planning to get a GTX 750 Ti along with 4 GB more RAM, in addition to my current 4 GB RAM. I was wondering what kind of a PSU would be required for my rig, with all the new stuff added in.

Here are my hardware specifications: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/dWV2gaOq1oU5QXD2kY6mANy

Also my mobo is an Intel DH55TC, and I've heard reports of RAM not working on it. I'm getting either a 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz one or two 2 GB ones of the same specifications, which are supposed to work on the board as far as I read from its manual but I'm not sure. 

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:04 AM

The 750TI only recommends a 400 watt power supply so you may not need to upgrade that depending on what you currently have in there. Speccy doesn't give us what kind of Psu you currently have. As far as the RAM working or not  I cannot say, but this is the memory recommended by Crucial's memory finder.

#3 LFos42

LFos42

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:58 PM

Personally, I'd go with a highly rated 1000W PSU. Seriously.  I know it sounds like massive overkill, but the higher end graphics cards can really tax a system.  I've had hard drives die with a high quality PSU rated at 750W when the card only claimed it needed 450W PSU.  A better PSU solved the problem completely, but it cost me several hundred in new hard drives as part of the learning process (suddenly corrupted drives, unable to boot, troubleshooting the cause, etc) , as well as the time to reinstall my OS, etc.  There is the consideration of whatever other components are on your system.. multiple hard drives.. and additional fans or water pumps, etc.  Even if it doesn't seem like you have much, better safe than sorry.  Unfortunately I learned the hard way.  It's not that much extra cash to dump into the better PSU considerind your nice graphics card.

Also, the 1000W PSU will not use any more power than what your system needs to pull.  It just means that it's been designed and tested to run stable and cleanly at much higher demand.  Most of the time my system runs somewhere around using a measly few hundred watts.... until I start gaming, lol.

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

1000 watts is overkill, and will end up drawing more power. I would recommend between a 600 and a 750 watt power supply. If cable management is an issue, buy a modular one.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 LFos42

LFos42

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:11 AM

I stand by my statement; the experience is true. (the 750 was a very highly rated PSU when I had the problem, and I did not have much on my system but 2 hard drives, BDROM and a few fans, sound card and higher end graphics card).  The higher watt PSU also does not draw more power inherentlly.  I've got a Zalman fan controller/temp monitor/power meter that even the psu plugs into so I get a continuous readout of the power drawn off the cord in the wall from everything in the case, including mobo, fans, PSU etc and it is accurate with a KillOWatt meter.)

I get that this is above the suggested rating and some folks may do fine at the recommended wattage.  But I sure wish someone had warned me; I found out after the fact.  Get what you want; I'm only offering suggestions based on my actual experience.

Let me amend this response for clarity - I don't know that you'll use 1000W unless you add a second video card, but what I'm really saying is get the best Quality PSU you can, and the extra overhead for me put me into a higher category of PSU - more robust with cleaner rails and more isolation, and rated to maintain that under greater load.  I shouldn't have needed to upgrade the PSU I had, but when I did.... no more problems.  I'm guessing for whatever reason the power draw of my graphics card (even during normal non-gaming usage) somehow affected the bias voltages that feed the hard drives... which is why they became nonfunctional.  This user has a nice graphics card in his setup.  I'd spend a few more bucks on the best quality PSU he can get to protect that graphics card, and the rest of his computer.

Edited by LFos42, 17 August 2015 - 12:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users