Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware problem that's now possibly a netwoprk problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kayza

Kayza

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:40 PM

On July 19 2015 I posted the following in the malware section, requesting help:

About a week ago noticed a new file in several directories. Each file is <name of the directory>.exe So if the directory is named PicturesFromTheWedding the file is PicturesFromTheWedding.exe. I also seem to be missing some files, but I'm not sure of the extent. All of the problems I have been seeing are on a NAS drive.

There are 3 computers that definitely access this NAS drive, and one that this on the network, but I don't think it accesses the NAS. I disconnected that computer from the network today. in the unlikely even that this is the problem computer, I'll deal with the need to connect when (and if) it comes up.

I ran NIS (which also runs in the background) and Malwarebytes on the other three coputers and they did not turn anything up. One computer is a desktop running XP, #2 is a laptop running Windows 7, and the third one is a deskotp running WIndows 7 as well. It does not have the latest patches, as they would not install properly. This is also the computer with the most constant connection to the NAS, so I'm assuming that this is the problem computer and the one I ran the FRST software on.

I also posted the results of the software run, as per the instructions. After some back and, which did seem to resolve some issues the situation came to this: I was advices to try to immunize a clean computer, then plug in the drive via USB and immunize it and then run some more virus checks. The problem is that for some reason the drive is not recognized when I attach it via USB, although it does show up via the network.

Because this seems to be a network problem, I was advised to come over here and explain what happened, and ask if anyone has any insight to offer. My main concern is how to prevent any possible malware from running once the drives are connected. (Right now, it's physically unplugged from the network.)

I'm also wondering how to clean the drive properly. At one point, it looked to me like some files were not deleted but made invisible, but the only program I have the is useful to check this doesn't want to look at a network drive, even though it's mapped. And, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why it shows up on the network, but not when it's plugged into a USB port.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:52 AM

I am a bit confused, you call it a NAS but are connecting it via USB. Network Attached Storage(NAS) normally isn't plugged in via USB it is plugged in via ethernet. So is this just an external hard drive that you then share to the rest of the network? What is the make and model of the device being plugged in?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Kayza

Kayza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:35 PM

No. the drive is supposed to be able to plug in either via ethernet, which is what I had bee doing until the problem started, or USB  which I only tried once I was advised to do so for the purposes of testing.

As I noted, when I plug it into the switch, it shows up and I can see most of the files. However, when it's plugged into the USB, it doesn't seem to be showing up.  I didn't have both connections in at the same time.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:36 PM

So it's not being mounted when plugged in via USB but works just fine on ethernet. hmmm, do you have like a thumb drive you can plug into the USB port(s) and see if it mounts? Just to make sure the USB is working. If it mounts the thumb drive just fine, unplug it and plug the NAS in *fingers crossed* Also, what is the make and model of the NAS?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Kayza

Kayza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:17 PM

I tried that on two computers with no luck. The only thing is that the other devices (in one case, my phone) are not USB 3, even though I tried it on a USB 3 port.

#6 Kayza

Kayza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:16 PM

I just realized that I didn't include the make and model of the NAS - Western Digital MyCould 2TB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users