Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mr. Robot USA Series

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

That's exactly right DC, at least in my opinion also.  I'm not even liking this season, though will try it out after complaining to the creators as to the direction it was going LOL, yes I love to complain!

I feel it was sad that the show turned into such a drama when it is described as a "cyber-security engineer by day and a vigilante hacker by night"...I thought that was a really cool idea, though it may no have appealed to all, or even less that knows about Linux, which appears in the show from time to time and is even talked about.  And, the fact that the creator and crew try to make the technical stuff as real as possible, but why bother if it's just going to be a Drama? with very little hacking, or computer action going on at all.

Then even the first season had Elliot Staring off into Space most of each episode? what the heck is that about, other than the obvious problems Elliot has, this makes for really boring airtime.  No need to make him boring just because he has many mental issues, drug addictions etc.?

I also have never liked the Christian Slater character either, he just doesn't fit the role as far as I'm concerned, and don't know how he got some kind of award for that part???  The rest of the actors I'm on board with, they all seem to be good enough and some very good.  Rami Malek just needs better Directing and a different script to act from lol.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Thanks to the Mods for leaving this thread here as there is enough Linux content on the show, IMO, to make an exception to keep it here.

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

They have this little Interactive site HERE called "whoismrrobot.com" haven't figure it all out yet, but mainly they want you to join and give your email, and it seems they are advertising the e-coin.com site as they do in their commercials.  The Terminal is somewhat Interactive also.  I chose "Origin" for this, and then looked at some of the other stuff but don't understand most of what they are trying to do?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#33 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:11 PM

"Linux Mint" made another appearance on Mr. Robot this past Wednesday.  Do hackers, or high level users really use Linux Mint anyhow? I suppose some do yes, but would guess it would be more so other Distro's.  They say that they go through lot's of research in making the technical parts as real to life as possible, but why bother if you're audience is not a bunch of Linux Geeks...makes no sense to me.  And why bother if there is only, maybe, one time in each episode where they even use computers, or even see commands or code running in the Terminal? 

Not a bad episode but I barely watch anymore, usually as some background noise while I'm working.  They lost me when it quickly turned into a Soap Opera, and vered from the initial description of what it was and what it could have been.  Again, I really liked the idea of a Cyber Security Engineer by day and Vigilante Hacker by night.  In my opinion Sam Esmail mislabeled right from the start, but now...well, it is what it is. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#34 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:10 PM

Does anyone else feel that this Series would be better if it was inline with the show release description? 

"Cyber Security Engineer by day and Vigilante Hacker by night"

Just found the official quote I was looking for previously:

"MR. ROBOT is a psychological thriller that follows a young programmer who works as a cyber-security engineer by day and a vigilante hacker by night."

Or does nobody care and not even watch it LOL?  I'm a bit surprised that there are no watchers here though, or at least none that participate in this Thread, in a Linux Forum LOL.  It was nice of Staff to allow this Thread to be here in the Linux section, but no interest?  They wanted it to be in General Chat, so again I say that I appreciate it being here, just wish the show garnered some attention to the folks here.  Maybe it does, are there some Closet Watchers here? LOL.

I think it would be better if they were following Elliott during his day to day turmoil at work, and after work fighting the bad guys online.  The possibilities are endless for this scenario.  All kinds of people to battle against online, and can we imagine the crazy characters they could make up!  I do love how he is so paranoid to put all his Hardware in the Microwave and Torch it LOL, bahahawahaha, so funny.

To bad about it all, as I thought they had some pretty good actors, unfortunately not the ones that are getting all the credit for the shows success.  I don't like the way Rami Malek portrays his role, but it's probably the way he is told to do it by Sam Esmail.  I also don't like Christian Slater's role, though like Slater in general, just not for this role.

Ramble over, pc out

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#35 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:12 PM

Watched a few episodes when it was released on this side of the pond, but it never really grabbed me (or many others from what I gather). I couldn't really identify with any of the characters, and the plot line was so disjointed, that whatever interest I may have started with, quickly disappeared.

I'm not sure whether it's still even being broadcast over here or not.

#36 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:03 PM

@Gary R, I agree Gary, I need to let go of it and move on lol, but the concept was good so stuck with it for a while.  Now all I do is complain about it lol.  Don't know how they won awards with it.  This last episode was not to bad, and I hope at some point they will change the direction of the show, who knows, maybe it will become better.  I don't want to see another second of Elliot staring off into space in haze of schizophrenia, or a drug high.  Don't know which is which either, or is it both.  In today atmosphere with all our electronics, malware, scammers etc. I think the concept of this show would be very popular.  O-know, I just gave away a multi million dollar idea! lol, not that it hasn't been done, but not recently anyhow.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#37 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

The idea of a program centred around computer security/hacking really appealed to me, but as usual, the implementation was not up to expectations, and after a promising few opening episodes, the series makers dropped back into using all the old computer clichés so beloved of film makers.

The craft and techniques took second place to the "oddball" characters, and the plot line became increasingly more convoluted and implausible, until any interest I might have had in the series had evaporated totally.

I really would have liked it to succeed, but to do that, I think you need it to be made by people who truly understand the subject matter, and who are not just hanging technology onto a badly written plot to make it "trendy".

#38 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:03 PM

Do hackers, or high level users really use Linux Mint anyhow?

I can't see why not, Its just a matter of installing the right " tools " and thats not hard, Or you can make Kali look like Mint by adding the Cinnamon DE.

As for the stuff in terminal, Remember this?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/562363/hollywood-terminal-16-impress-your-friends/

See now Im going to have to go watch Mr Robot.

#39 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:57 PM

True Nick, though it seems the Power users I see are using Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Debian etc. more than Mint, but that's just what I see from what little I do on the web lately.  Sure Mint will do whatever is needed, just seems like more of a Trend to me that Power Users use other distros.  Although...am very happy to see Mint in the show!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#40 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:17 AM

Ok found it watching first episode now.

#41 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for joining in Nick, though am afraid the show won't live up to the Awards it got.  If the first episode is even slightly intriguing because of the Computer aspect (as it was for me) you may get lost on it shortly after the next few episodes.  I still hope it get's better!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users