Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mr. Robot USA Series

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:19 PM

Hey guys, just wanted the linux crowd to see my post in General Chat about the new tv series Mr. Robot.  Here is the USA quote:

"In MR. ROBOT, Elliot, a cyber-security engineer by day and vigilante hacker by night, is recruited by a mysterious underground group to destroy the firm he's paid to protect. Elliot must decide how far he'll go to expose the forces he believes are running (and ruining) the world."

They frequently reference Linux, gnome and even Kali.  What!...a tv show especially made for me, just at the right time in my life, isn't that bizzare?

I like it because it is a little odd, not mainstream.  A Cyber Security Engineer by day and Hacker Vigilante by night.  He also has extreme social anxiety and a bit of a Heroin problem, though a pretty good set of morals? lol, love it!

Here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585227/mr-robot/

Edited by pcpunk, 06 August 2015 - 06:59 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

To lazy to navigate, just click the

clcuHKG.jpg

Edited by hollowface, 06 August 2015 - 06:53 PM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,198 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:59 PM

Elliot Alderson's drug problem isn't heroin. It's morphine, and he uses suboxone for withdrawal symptoms, which he got from his neighbor Shayla Wico.

The existence of Tyrell Wellick as a character turned me off from the series. Not to mention Christian Slater's sociopathic Mr. Robot

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:00 PM

Can't believe I forgot the link LOL! thanks hollowface

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,902 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:12 PM

Elliot Alderson's drug problem isn't heroin. It's morphine, and he uses suboxone for withdrawal symptoms, which he got from his neighbor Shayla Wico.

The existence of Tyrell Wellick as a character turned me off from the series. Not to mention Christian Slater's sociopathic Mr. Robot

Thanks for the correction.  Yes, Slater should have never been considered for that role? really shows his lack of acting ability, he was just not right for it from the start imo. probably didn't even have to audition. 

Animal you shouldn't have used a Period after heroin LOL just kidding.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,902 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:25 PM

That's to bad, I think Tyrell is a great Bad-guy - he seems to fit the part perfectly imo.  Him and his freaky wife are a couple of Psychopaths! lol.  The characters are not to bad Except for Christian Slater OMG!  Most of the show is Elliott staring off in a state of Paranoid Social Anxiety LOL.  I like weird stuff so keep watching it.  The series finale will be next week due to the Shootings in Virginia: 

"Mr. Robot—USA’s runaway, gritty summer hit—was slated to premiere its Season 1 finale Wednesday night. But in light of the graphic on-air shooting out of Virginia this morning, the network has decided to postpone the episode until next week."

Through a spokesperson, USA had this to say about the decision:

"The previously filmed season finale of Mr. Robot contains a graphic scene similar in nature to today’s tragic events in Virginia. Out of respect to the victims, their families and colleagues, and our viewers, we are postponing tonight’s episode. Our thoughts go out to all those affected during this difficult time."

pcpunk out

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:10 AM

10 episodes. Is it just me or are American TV shows getting shorter these days; taking a page from the British I guess? I suppose the upside is it gives writers more time to develop each episode, but personally I miss the days when having 20-28 episodes per season was the norm. Seems like most new non-reality-tv shows nowadays are in the 8-13 range, a few going as high as 16, or maybe it's just that I'm watching all the short shows?

I take it you're stoked about the season finale? Is it being renewed for a second season?

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:27 AM

@hollowface

Mr. Robot is an American drama–thriller television series created by Sam Esmail.[6] The May 27, 2015, premiere of the pilot on multiple online and VOD services[7] was so well received that the series was renewed for a second season, even before the first airing on USA Network on June 24, 2015.[8]

source - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Robot_%28TV_series%29

@pcpunk

Love it (this Topic) punk. :thumbup2:

One of the reasons I love the Big Bang show is that when you get a glimpse of their laptops they are usually running Ubuntu, &c.

When I am talking too much computer, my wife sticks her fingers on each temple and tries to melt my brain, ala Sheldon - she calls me Sheldon sometimes.

I am off to do a hunt on whether/when the series is coming to Australia.

I hope all Aussies join with me in passing on our sympathies to all concerned with the Virginia shooting.

:wizardball: Wizard

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,902 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:24 PM

@hollowface: "10 episodes. Is it just me or are American TV shows getting shorter these days; taking a page from the British I guess? I suppose the upside is it gives writers more time to develop each episode, but personally I miss the days when having 20-28 episodes per season was the norm. Seems like most new non-reality-tv shows nowadays are in the 8-13 range, a few going as high as 16, or maybe it's just that I'm watching all the short shows?

I take it you're stoked about the season finale? Is it being renewed for a second season?"

Yes - I was thinking the same thing about the short seasons of shows these days.

Yes - I am looking forward to it, and, hope it don't get cancelled altogether because of the Virginia Tragedy.  And can't believe that it is so short, I was just getting into it!

@Wiz:  I did not know about the Big Bang Theory using Ubuntu, that's cool.  I do watch sometimes as I find it funny.

Whoa! I can't believe Mr. Robot is not in Au!

Edited by pcpunk, 28 August 2015 - 07:26 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:35 PM

America's short attention span and the proliferation of 140/160 character mindset has given way to shorter TV seasons.

I think this sums it it pretty well: http://screenrobot.com/impatient-nation-tv-series-getting-shorter/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:53 PM

If Breaking Bad ran 20 episodes Jesse Pinkman would have died in the first season.  Vince Gilligan decided against killing him only after the first season had finished.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,902 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:44 PM

I lost interest in BB after the first season.  Hopefully this won't happen with MR.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:52 PM

I lost interest in MR after 1/2 episode.  I watched BB for 6 years.

I am the one who knocks.

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:48 AM

I don't understand the 140/160 reference but will google it up.

The article is great. Illuminating. And love Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor. Note a mouseover of the jpeg has smart tip "Spacy" (which he might be) instead of Spacey ... ggrrrr

One of my faves, Doctor Who, is as guilty as sin of this shortening. Some years recently we were limited to a Christmas Special if we were lucky.  A friend aged 70, and I (58 soon) have been watching for 50 years, and it is like we are on a diet - have to go further on less sustenance. :mellow:

Won't hijack friend punk's topic further, but reiterate - good topic.

:wizardball: Wiz

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,902 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:48 PM

I lost interest in MR after 1/2 episode.  I watched BB for 6 years.

I am the one who knocks.

I can understand loosing interest, it's not for every one and started out really slow, and weird.  Perhaps, still weird and slow lol.  Not saying I didn't like BB, loved it.  Just got tired of the same thing every episode.  Still watched from time to time as it was still good.  It's got to be tough to keep a story fresh!, and some of the later stuff got me back in.

Don't understand the rest of your cryptic comment?  Ok, I watched the vid. but still don't get it.  It appears that you tried to add a video-but it did not work.

Edited by pcpunk, 29 August 2015 - 03:56 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users