Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pleaseeee Help with Lag in game

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 UmiHuss

UmiHuss

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:43 PM

I can't seem to figure out why the hell I'm always getting lag or Lag spikes (2 second then normal, then after 5 secs another lag spike, etc) when playing "Battle for Middle earth 1" using Gameranger. 

I have bought:

-New Macbook Air early 2014 (Running Windows 10 via bootcamp)

-New Router: D-Link Wireless AC Smartbeam 1750 Mbps -Dual-Band Gigabit Router (DIR-868L)

-New Modem: Arris TM1602A 

Misc info: My browsing speed is good ie. autoplay on 1080p, and download speed is 26Mbps.

Could it be a problem that I'm running bootcamp? 

Pleaaaaaase help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:05 PM

you are on wireless. Try it wired and see if it goes away.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 UmiHuss

UmiHuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:50 PM

you are on wireless. Try it wired and see if it goes away.

I have a macbook air so I need to buy an adapter, is this one fine?: http://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Converter-ultrabook-Performance-Interface/dp/B00CKIFPQY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1438902840&sr=8-3&keywords=ethernet+adapter

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:01 PM

looks like it would work.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 UmiHuss

UmiHuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:57 PM

looks like it would work.

It's going to take a while to come, is there anything else I can try doing that would maybe fix or to test my connection in anyway?

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:21 PM

Sadly, lag via wireless is normal and to be expected. Sorry =\

#7 UmiHuss

UmiHuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:40 PM

Sadly, lag via wireless is normal and to be expected. Sorry =\

I have tried using with ethernet cable and still I am having lag spikes and overall lag issues. What is the next step?

#8 m0rph

m0rph

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:40 AM

Hi there,

How busy is your internet connection ? Does it have lots of other users or is it just you ?

Do you have a pure Windows machine you could test the game on to see if the problem still exists or not ?

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:23 PM

A little lag in some games is something you'll just have to learn to live with. Add in the fact you are going through Gameranger to play, which is going to add a little lag. Then you are using bootcamp, which is going to add a little lag.

If you cane get the name of the server or the address to it, you could do a tracert to it in windows. Also, m0ph's idea of seeing what a pure windows machine does at your location might be something to look at as well.

#10 UmiHuss

UmiHuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:45 AM

Hi there,

How busy is your internet connection ? Does it have lots of other users or is it just you ?

Do you have a pure Windows machine you could test the game on to see if the problem still exists or not ?

I have about 3 computers and 2 phones connected to my connection, but the lag spike happens when no1 but me are on the internet as well.

Also I did try on a pure windows machine a couple times and I do feel the problem is not occuring on that machine.

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:15 PM

two things:

1. go to speedtest.net and do a broadband test.  Post the results for review

2. do a tracert to the game site and post the results for review.

#12 UmiHuss

UmiHuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:17 PM

A little lag in some games is something you'll just have to learn to live with. Add in the fact you are going through Gameranger to play, which is going to add a little lag. Then you are using bootcamp, which is going to add a little lag.

If you cane get the name of the server or the address to it, you could do a tracert to it in windows. Also, m0ph's idea of seeing what a pure windows machine does at your location might be something to look at as well.

It's not a little lag that I have a problem with, it's the problem that my connection goes perfectly fine for a duration of time, and then suddenly for 1-2 seconds it will lag heavily then go back to normal and then repeat the process. So I'm trying to figure out why that happens. Also, it doesn't happen all the time.

#13 UmiHuss

UmiHuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:05 PM

two things:

1. go to speedtest.net and do a broadband test.  Post the results for review

2. do a tracert to the game site and post the results for review.

Speedtest: https://gyazo.com/0066827582f976d0ccc14e843a841cce

Not sure if I did the tracert correctly.. https://gyazo.com/90924e0147904946d6815a25e249c9c0

#14 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:40 PM

both indicate things are looking good.  You will want to do that tracert when you get the lag to see where the lag is happening.

since you are on wifi you might want to download xirrus wifi inspector and make sure you are on a channel not being used in your area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users