Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my computer slows down

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Patstin

Patstin

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:17 PM

I have tried to copy to paste my info, but cannot paste

OS Name        Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium

Version            6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

Other OS Description             Not Available

OS Manufacturer        Microsoft Corporation

System Name  MILLANNACELL-PC

System Manufacturer  HP-Pavilion

System Model FJ463AA-ABA a6528p

System Type   X86-based PC

Processor         Intel® Pentium® Dual  CPU  E2200  @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 5.22, 3/28/2008

SMBIOS Version       2.5

Windows Directory    C:\Windows

System Directory        C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer  Version = "6.0.6002.18005"

User Name      Millannacell-PC\Millannacell

Time Zone       Central Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)     3.50 GB

Total Physical Memory           3.24 GB

Available Physical Memory    2.61 GB

Total Virtual Memory 6.67 GB

Available Virtual Memory      6.27 GB

Page File Space           3.53 GB

Page File         C:\pagefile.sys

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 20 August 2015 - 06:33 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I infected?'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Patstin

Patstin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:21 PM

I am working in safe mode with networking presently because my computer slows down while in normal mode.  It slows to the point that the mouse pointer jumps around, then moves but will not open any program when I click.  I then have to shut the computer down with the power button.

#3 Patstin

Patstin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:49 PM

I was working on the desktop in safe mode with networking, but I keep getting a blank page with red strip at the top with airline advertisement,  It says 100% of airlines in the fortune global 500 rely on red hat.  Is this a redirected site.  I can't work without this continuing to pop up.  I then lose the page I am typing on.

I work in safe mode because in normal mode the pointer slows down and then jumps from place to place.  It then moves extremely slow until it stops, when it starts moving normally again it does not open any program that I click on.  I then have to shut it down with the power button.

I have now shut it down and working on the laptop.

Should I start a new topic in order to get help or can someone help me here?  Is my computer infected or is it a hardware problem?  I have read some of the topic of freezing computer and it seems that this is a problem when the hard drive needs to be replaced.  I have order another hard drive, but want to know if I have a virus before I start changing hard drives. 

The last backup did not finish, it froze in the middle of the backup, I get the same thing when trying to run testing programs and malwarebytes anti-rootkit too.  Help would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Patstin, 06 August 2015 - 07:10 PM.

#4 Patstin

Patstin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:00 PM

This is my system infomation,  I tried to post with the desktop that I am having problem with but, it didn't save apparently.

OS Name        Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium

Version            6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

Other OS Description             Not Available

OS Manufacturer        Microsoft Corporation

System Name  MILLANNACELL-PC

System Manufacturer  HP-Pavilion

System Model FJ463AA-ABA a6528p

System Type   X86-based PC

Processor         Intel® Pentium® Dual  CPU  E2200  @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 5.22, 3/28/2008

SMBIOS Version       2.5

Windows Directory    C:\Windows

System Directory        C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer  Version = "6.0.6002.18005"

User Name      Millannacell-PC\Millannacell

Time Zone       Central Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)     3.50 GB

Total Physical Memory           3.24 GB

Available Physical Memory    2.61 GB

Total Virtual Memory 6.67 GB

Available Virtual Memory      6.27 GB

Page File Space           3.53 GB

Page File         C:\pagefile.sys

Edited by Patstin, 06 August 2015 - 07:07 PM.

#5 Patstin

Patstin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:27 PM

Okay, this is silly.  Apparently it did save but did not show up right away, so I thought it did not post.  Sorry for the duplicate posts.  It won't happen again. 

#6 Patstin

Patstin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:54 AM

I tried to check disk last night, and I think I messed it up completely.  It froze and I had to hard shut it down, I know you are not supposed to do that, so now it won't come on in safte mode.  It freezes.  

Okay, good news.  I shut down, started with last known good config and it started.  Now it starts in safe mode.

#7 Patstin

Patstin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:39 AM

After not receiving any help or discussion, I decided to recover my computer.  I am not sure if I have posted correctly to get help or not.  I entered the recovery console and restored to factory setting.  It requested to backup drive, and I hooked it up to my external backup.  It created backup lasting for 1 day and night, then finally restored to factory setting.  I just finished updating, but It starts to update and update runs forever, but no results.

Any help on this matter will be gladly accepted.

#8 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:16 PM

I looked at your other topic.

Have you ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware? https://www.malwarebytes.org/ (download the free version). You only mentioned the Anti-Rootkit.

It definitely sounds like you have some kind of malware on there.

#9 Patstin

Patstin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:23 PM

Thank you for the response.  Yes, I ran ccleaner, malwarebyte antivirus, and superantispyware, but continued to get freezes before restoring to factory setting.  I finally was able to update after resetting, but the problem still existed, just not as bad.  I was only getting freezes a few times, but still getting them.  I was not able to diagnose my hard drive froze while doing it, got fail reading when I ran the diagnostic test.  Finally, out of desperation, I replaced the hard drive.  It seemed to be working okay for a few days, so I thought the problem was solved.  I then ran malwarebyte antivirus and supersntispyware on the backed up files and restored them.  After a few days, I get a freeze now and then.  One a couple of days ago, and one today.    Now the question still is, "Did I have a virus, did I save it with the back up, did I restore it with my backed up files, do I now have the virus again???????"

So  frustrated!!!

#10 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:12 AM

Thank you for the response.  Yes, I ran ccleaner, malwarebyte antivirus, and superantispyware, but continued to get freezes before restoring to factory setting.  I finally was able to update after resetting, but the problem still existed, just not as bad.  I was only getting freezes a few times, but still getting them.  I was not able to diagnose my hard drive froze while doing it, got fail reading when I ran the diagnostic test.  Finally, out of desperation, I replaced the hard drive.  It seemed to be working okay for a few days, so I thought the problem was solved.  I then ran malwarebyte antivirus and supersntispyware on the backed up files and restored them.  After a few days, I get a freeze now and then.  One a couple of days ago, and one today.    Now the question still is, "Did I have a virus, did I save it with the back up, did I restore it with my backed up files, do I now have the virus again???????"

So  frustrated!!!

I don't know if you want to do this or if you have the resource to do this, but if you have the OS disc, I would reinstall the OS and you will be able to retrieve files you want. If you have the disc for the drivers from the manufacturer, it would help with reinstallation.

#11 Patstin

Patstin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:52 AM

I'm confused, is that not the same as resetting to factory setting?

#12 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 05:29 PM

I'm confused, is that not the same as resetting to factory setting?

I'm sorry, I missed that in your previous post.

I'm assuming the malware is gone since you reset it to factory settings?

Maybe you need more RAM. How much RAM does it have?

#13 Patstin

Patstin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:30 PM

I have 3.5 GB.  This started a few months ago after my grand daughter used it and open many tabs at the same time.  I have always had 3.5 GB of ram in it with no problem.  It was never slow and I never had freezes until then.  System information is posted in previous post.

Edited by Patstin, 22 August 2015 - 09:32 PM.

#14 Patstin

Patstin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:33 PM

Okay, I have run Malwarebyte antimalware again, ccleaner and avast antivirus, it seems to be running okay at this point.  I have not had a freeze for the passed couple of weeks.  I will keep my fingers and toes crossed.  Thank for responding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users