Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is DoNotSpy 10 junkware itself?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ToddAndMargo

ToddAndMargo

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:41 PM

DoNotSpy10 seems ideal for Windows 10.  Even has a place to disable automatic updates.

http://pxc-coding.com/portfolio/donotspy10/

But, it gets tagged at Virus Total

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/ad1ffd361a0d1a08eae7ba588ad2e08bb7a7ee7cfdffbe26b3f38797b0d6ac82/analysis/

Is DoNotSpy10 itself junkware/spyware?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:55 PM

It appears to be detected as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) / Potentially Unsafe Application (PUA) most likely because it includes OpenCandy.

OpenCandy is an advertising application distributed by the OpenCandy Software Network which displays ads in other programs. The use of advertisement is a way to promote software packages and recover development costs. The OpenCandy FAQs answers many questions users may have about this product.

OpenCandy is technically not installed on a computer, does not collect personally identifiable information and in most cases allows the user to choose whether or not to install advertised software recommended by the vendor. Although no personal information is collected, the software does collect anonymous statistics about events and other data during installation. See What information does OpenCandy collect?

This is what OpenCandy has to say about their product.

OpenCandy provides a plug-in that developers include in their software to earn money by showing recommendations for other software in their installers. Developers use this money to keep their software free and invest in further software development. The installer uses the OpenCandy plug-in to present a software recommendation...during installation. You have complete control to accept the software recommendation by selecting either the “Install” or “Do not install” options on the software recommendation screen.

What is OpenCandy?

The OpenCanday network has partnered with various popular and trusted software developers who bundle their product as part of the program's software installation package. A list of such developers can be found here. Some vendors will clearly advise the use of OpenCandy before downloading their software, while others may provide confusing or no information at all. Examples would be SIW (System Information for Windows) and SingularLabs which both clearly indicates on their website the use of OpenCandy.

OpenCandy is an advertising application.

OpenCandy is similar to Google AdSense, except it displays advertisements in installation program instead of websites. These advertisements promote another software packages. The advertisements are selected by providers of software being installed. When user installing a software (SIW) chooses to install promoted package, revenue is generated and shared between OpenCandy and software providers (SIW developers).

SIW Home Edition is bundled with OpenCandy

SingularLabs partners with OpenCandy to deliver app recommendation to our users. This is the full list of software the we have permitted Open Candy to recommend to our users. Additional products may be added to over time, in which case this list will be updated to reflect those changes.

SingularLabs List of ‘Recommended Apps

OpenCandy is not a virus or malware. However, since it is responsible for displaying advertisements, it may be detected (and sometimes removed) by various anti-virus and other security scanning tools as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) (or adware), a classification that broadly defines the term as any software package which automatically displays advertisements in any form in order to generate revenue. For example, the Microsoft Malware Protection Center (MMPC) detects the program as Adware:Win32/OpenCandy, an adware program that might be bundled with other installers.

To learn more about PUPs and how you get them, please read: About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

In response to these detections, OpenCandy has provided the following information:

How do I uninstall OpenCandy?

Since OpenCandy does not permanently install anything on your computer, there is nothing to uninstall. Our technology was selected by a developer and runs temporarily in their downloads which you may have selected and run. The plug-in shows an app recommendation and is designed to self-delete from your computer when it has finished operating. If you are concerned that something extraordinary resulted in any remnant traces being left on your computer, you may download and run our small clean-up utility to ensure all OpenCandy traces which are regularly self-deleted, are in fact gone.

IMO, removal of OpenCandy detections is an optional choice. I have provided the information so you can make an informed decision as whether to remove it or not.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ToddAndMargo

ToddAndMargo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:12 PM

Okay, I am a little fuzzy here.  I do want the DoNotSpy10 software, but not the Open Candy.  Can it be removed after installing DoNotSpy10?  Would Custom install allow you to uncheck it?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,736 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:24 PM

I have never used the program and do not know if their installer package allows you to opt out of OpenCandy. If you choose to use it, chances are your security programs may detect it if PUP detection is enabled.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,736 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:47 PM

You can try this tool on the setup file.

Universal Extractor is an application destined to extract virtually any type of archive available in today’s market: RAR, ZIP, 7Z, EXE, TAR, NRG, ISO, DLL

Universal Extractor
X-UniExtract
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:59 PM

This is from Major Geeks...

MajorGeek says: With the release of Windows 10 came the concerns about privacy and tracking. While we think that privacy as we know is essentially dead that does not mean we should be relaxed about it. Not at all. pXc-Coding has sent in DoNotSpy10, the first ever anti-spy tool for Windows 10. It allows you to set a restore point just in case. The interface simply gives you a list of areas where tracking or privacy is a concern. App access is always a big one as is Password Reveal but there are a couple you might want to leave alone including Windows Defender and Windows Updates. Watch out during the install for one third party program it offers to install. A portable version would be nice here as well as suggested items to remove that won't effect your system security. Otherwise it's a great start for the first Windows 10 anti-privacy tool.

You can disable the following:

Disable Telemetry
Disable Biometrics
Disable Handwriting Data Sharing
Disable Handwriting Error Reporting
Disable Application Telemetry
Disable Inventory Collector
Disable Steps Recorder
Disable enabling Lock Screen Camera
Disable and Reset Cortana
Disable Location
Disable Sensors
Disable Web Search
Disable Windows Media DRM Internet Access
Defer Windows Upgrades
Disable App Notifications
Disable Password Reveal Button
Disable and Reset Advertising ID
Disable SmartScreen Filter for URLs
Disable Sending Writing Info
Disable Access to Language List
Disable App Access to Location Info
Disable App Access to Camera
Disable App Access to Microphone
Disable Getting to know me
Disable App Access to Account Info
Disable App Access to Calendar
Disable App Access to Messages
Disable App Access to Radios
Disable Sync With Devices
Disable Windows Feedback Requestes
Disable Windows Update Sharing
Disable Windows Update for other Products
Disable WiFi Sense
Disable Windows Defender
Disable Automatic Windows Updates
Disable OneDrive
Disable Automatic Driver Update

Limitations:
This program is advertising supported and may offer to install third party programs that are not required for the program to run. These may include a toolbar, changing your homepage, default search engine or other third party programs. Please watch the installation carefully to opt out. For more information:

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

#7 ToddAndMargo

ToddAndMargo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:03 PM

I am making a copy of my SOF (Son-of Frankenstein, a.k.a. Windows 10) virtual hard drive at the moments to see if I can install DoNoSpy10 without the spyware by going into custom mode.  I will report back.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,403 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:03 PM

....and a comment from a user on major geeks  

Funny how this is the first application that I have come across where SmartScreen in Windows 10 won't let the user bypass the prompt, and the only choice you're left with is "Don't run" when attempting to launch this application's installer. All other similar prompts have at least presented the user with option of ignoring the SmartScreen warning. The author should have thought about making an application that can actually be run, in his/her sad attempt to boost his/her résumé by being "the first ever anti-spy tool for Windows 10" (check the URL to the download, it contains /portfolio). Of course this tool's claim ignores that various forums and websites have had user-created.NET applications and batch files that do the same thing for several days already. Also, according to Majorgeeks, this includes a Bundleware license or installer? Remind me again how this is better than the privacy violations it attempts to correct.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,736 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:12 PM

Limitations:
This program is advertising supported and may offer to install third party programs that are not required for the program to run. These may include a toolbar, changing your homepage, default search engine or other third party programs. Please watch the installation carefully to opt out.

I saw the write up on MajorGeeks earlier but it appears to be more of a generic warning for adware. The only complaint I was able to confirm was the bundling of OpenCandy.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#10 ToddAndMargo

ToddAndMargo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:21 PM

And, even if you turn everything you can find off and use Customer Install, you still wind up with "Web Search Bar".

I am going to erase the test vm and stay the h*** away from this abomination.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,736 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:26 PM

That is good to know for others thinking about this product. MajorGeeks should have been more specific.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#12 ToddAndMargo

ToddAndMargo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:42 PM

Here is a manual How To:

http://windows.wonderhowto.com/inspiration/everything-you-need-disable-windows-10-0163552/

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,403 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:48 PM

There is also another topic running on this same/similar subject...

HERE

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,635 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:01 AM

Download & install a Free 14 day Trial of Malwarebytes Premium (MBAM) before installing. No worries, it'll revert to the Free version after the Trial period. 

https://www.malwarebytes.org/trial/

Be sure to go into the settings, there's two drop down lists, one preset already, set PUP's to be treated as Malware also. While there, check the option to scan for rootkits & for a context menu scan. This allows one to click the folder at the bottom of the page & scan the 'C' drive in full with a right click & choose 'Scan with MalwarebytesAntiMalware'. 

Then before the first scan MBAM will prompt for, download & install the software & let it do the cleaning. After the required reboot, then perform that first scan that MBAM calls for in the 'Fix Now' prompt. This should clean all traces of Malware from the system, by a first time Threat Scan, though the option above should be also used (right clicking the 'C' folder & choose to scan), note that it takes much longer to run (maybe 2-3 hours), as everything within the OS install is being scanned. Not just the typical places where Malware & other nasties hides & these will indeed hide in other places. 

Just keep in mind that software of this nature will likely disable services that one day may be needed, such as diagnostic files sent. Without these, it'll make repair much harder & Microsoft may not honor their promise to support a highly altered OS. There's several times to customize services, beginning at time of install & in the Settings afterwards. If I have to disable these many services of Windows 10 to run it, then I can live w/out the OS & except for one VM that I chose to keep, already have. Windows 10 Pro been removed from a total of 5 computers here, too resource heavy, not what was promised.

There are likely millions of computers released with Windows 7 that's struggling to run now that will fare no better off with Windows 10. Chances are, by the EOL for Windows 7, most of these (by then) 9-11 year old computers will have also reached the end of their mechanical life, and there's a real chance that some may have to revert back to Windows 7, should a major upgrade (formerly Service Packs) require a newer CPU technology not present. That's precisely how Microsoft stole $40 from many Windows 8 Pro adopters (& not lifted a hand to assist), many of the computers CPU's wouldn't allow a 8.1 upgrade, leaving them faced with a downgrade to Windows 7 or Vista to get support after January 12, 2016, less than 15 weeks away. That's the EOL for Windows 8 users who doesn't or cannot run Windows 8.1, which won't be able to run 10 either. Microsoft also promised us who purchased Windows 8 Pro a rosy future. Fortunately, both of my purchases are on newer computers. 

I feel that if one has to go through all of this trouble & more in the future to stop Microsoft from carrying out their obligations under the PRISM act, Windows 10 is not for these folks. 8.1 still has over 7 years of lifespan left & some Windows 7 computers won't last until EOL of the OS. What's the panic in upgrading, only to have to render some components that may be helpful for future diagnostics & possibly Malware detection useless? Stick with what one has & forget this madness, these developers will always be coming up with what they call a 'better' privacy app to replace the one installed, last week, month & certainly year. The cycle of con artists will never end towards Windows 10 users, it's a matter of which artist poses the greatest harm, Microsoft or the one providing the software. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 03 October 2015 - 04:10 AM.

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w3mBsNE6cJXW7on5sbNTFDc  (Updated 10/07/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running AMD Phenom x4 965 CPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/c0aVnEnmxFmqX5Pf1nOhCKf   (Updated 10/10/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MLv5xbYuI2vsLqvtS4PaDGB  (Updated 10/20/2017)

#15 silat

silat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:17 AM

People calm down. 

The developer wants to make money.

If you do not want the ads then:

If you do not want to download the ad-supported (OpenCandy) installer, you can support the application’s development by making a donation.

Having donated, you will be provided with an ad-free installer and a license key for your personal Donation Edition.

This a new experiment and you will not yet notice any functional differences in the application itself. It will, however, be labelled as a Donation Version and thank you on the about page .

http://pxc-coding.com/portfolio/donotspy10/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users