Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Feedback on my first computer build

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NewJo

NewJo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

Hi,

I'm new to computer building and I have made a list for all the components I will need to build my computer. My budget for this first computer build is 400-450 USD. I have all the necessary peripherals so I can use all of this budget for building the computer. I am focusing this PC as a budget gaming PC. Some games that I would like to be able to run on this computer with normal to high settings are COD4, Fifa 15, MW2 and some GTA V. 

I would like it if you could please give me feedback on the compatibility of these components and just some advice on what I could improve. 

Here is the link to all the components on the website pcpartpicker:

Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

Looks good to me, the 860K CPU is great value, while the GT750 Ti is a solid choice in its price range.  I don't think you could do much better for the money.

My only suggestion would be an A88X chipset motherboard if it's in budget will get you PCIe 3.0 support (A78 is PCIe 2.0) and probably more overclocking options.  The advantage of PCIe 3 on current cards is minimal, but potentially removes a bottleneck for faster future cards.  A88X boards start from about $10 more than the one you chose.  However it's only a weak suggestion and if you have no interest in overclocking then it's probably not going to make much difference.  A88X vs A78 vs A55 http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1442-amd-apu-chipset-comparison-a88-a85-a78

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:15 PM

Looks good, but unless your CPU is OEM (which it isn't) you don't need a CPU cooler unless you are doing super hard core gaming. Also, it's best to start out with 1 8GB module of RAM instead of 2x4 so it leaves room for upgrades in the future.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:36 AM

And you obviously have an OS already because I didn't see one on your list.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:40 AM

You can reuse a Windows license if it is a boxed, retail copy that is moved from one PC (Motherboard) to another.  However, OEM/System Builder versions have their licenses tied to the motherboard and cannot be moved.  You will need to repurchase if you have the System Builder/OEM version.

3939.png

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:33 AM

Or install Linux or a BSD variant for free ;)  EDIT - obviously not ideal for running the games you mention.

Edited by jonuk76, 07 August 2015 - 06:39 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

The advantage of PCIe 3 on current cards is minimal, but potentially removes a bottleneck for faster future cards.  A88X boards start from about $10 more than the one you chose.  

Wouldn't the CPU bottleneck newer cards before that happens anyways?

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#8 NewJo

NewJo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:46 PM

Looks good to me, the 860K CPU is great value, while the GT750 Ti is a solid choice in its price range.  I don't think you could do much better for the money.

My only suggestion would be an A88X chipset motherboard if it's in budget will get you PCIe 3.0 support (A78 is PCIe 2.0) and probably more overclocking options.  The advantage of PCIe 3 on current cards is minimal, but potentially removes a bottleneck for faster future cards.  A88X boards start from about $10 more than the one you chose.  However it's only a weak suggestion and if you have no interest in overclocking then it's probably not going to make much difference.  A88X vs A78 vs A55 http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1442-amd-apu-chipset-comparison-a88-a85-a78

Thanks very much! I will change my motherboard surely and get a standard ATX size. Also, someone told me that Intel Pentium G3258 is better than 860K? Is this true? Also what do you think about AMD FX-6300 as compared to these two processors. Thanks again.

Looks good, but unless your CPU is OEM (which it isn't) you don't need a CPU cooler unless you are doing super hard core gaming. Also, it's best to start out with 1 8GB module of RAM instead of 2x4 so it leaves room for upgrades in the future.

Thanks. Is 1x8 GB cheaper or more expensive than 2x4 GB? If it is cheaper, then I will definitely consider this.

#9 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:00 PM

Thanks very much! I will change my motherboard surely and get a standard ATX size. Also, someone told me that Intel Pentium G3258 is better than 860K? Is this true? Also what do you think about AMD FX-6300 as compared to these two processors. Thanks again.

Thanks. Is 1x8 GB cheaper or more expensive than 2x4 GB? If it is cheaper, then I will definitely consider this.

It is a little cheaper (usually about $10 less), but the most important thing is that you will have room on your motherboard to upgrade to more (16 GB) in the future if you need to.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#10 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:33 PM

Also, someone told me that Intel Pentium G3258 is better than 860K? Is this true? 

On paper, it's more powerful. In testing, it's a way better chip. For everything that isn't gaming it's a better chip, and ,on paper, it should be a better CPU for gaming.

However

A lot of newer games have been coming out that require a CPU to have four physical cores, or at least what's read as 4 physical cores. The Pentium G3258 only has two physical cores. The 860k reads as four physical cores. 

Now even though the Pentium G3258 is stronger then the 850k. Those newer games either won't launch at all or be filled with bugs when run on it because it only has two cores. This is because most newer games are optimized for four or more cores, and trying to force them to run on only two cores will cause them to freak out. 

The reason it should be better for gaming is because, despite the games being optimized for four cores, they are heavily reliant on the performance of only one of those four. In fact people have taken the Pentium G3258, overclocked it, and had it play games faster/better then the 1000$ USD i7-5960X- which is essentially four Pentium G3258s crammed together onto one chip. Despite the 5960X having eight of the same exact cores the G3258 uses, those cores run at a lower speed individually. Thus the most performance reliant part of the game was being hampered by the poor single core performance compared to the overclocked Pentium G3258.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#11 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:39 PM

Also what do you think about AMD FX-6300 as compared to these two processors.

The FX-6300 is a six core variant of the four core 860k. Uses the same cores, and they both run at almost the exact same speed. It should be about 50% faster because of it, but like I said games are only really optimized for four cores. Anymore then that and the returns are pretty small as far as performance is concerned- but that does largely vary depending on the game. The games in the next few years should take better advantage of the additional cores, but as far as immediate returns are on it they're pretty small.  

*sorry for not putting this in the first post, forgot*

Edited by SEANIA, 10 August 2015 - 02:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users