Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AdwCleaner or JRT?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:34 PM

So curently my Anti-Adware program is AdwCleaner, but I just heard about a new one called Junkware Removal Tool. Now I know that AdwCleaner has a much nicer UI, but I don't care about that. I dont care about how much RAM it uses or any of that. I just care about which of them detects more things. If any of you could run a test on that in a Virtual Machine or something like that, it would be awesome. Thank You.

:wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:47 PM

JRT (Junkware Removal Tool) is not new...it has been around since October 2012 when AdwCleaner was first released.

JRT is a non-interactive batch program created by thisisu (a member of the BC Malware Response Team) that is designed to search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, browser extensions, add-ons/plug-ins, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware. JRT will remove all traces of these types of programs which includes related services, registry entries (values, keys), files, folders and potentially unwanted extensions. JRT will also restore some default settings for Internet Explorer, Mozilla FireFox and Google Chrome. JRT automatically removes whatever it finds...there are no options to skip or ignore detections and no option to backup/restore removed items. Before using the tool, if JRT detects an active Internet connection, it will download the latest copy and relaunch itself automatically.

BTW...in June 2015, Malwarebytes announced the hiring of thisisu, and the acquisition of Junkware Removal Tool. The integration of Junkware Removal Tool within Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will take place over the next few months. The stand-alone JRT program will remain intact for those who wish to use it.AdwCleaner is a portable adware cleaner created by Xplode (a BC Security Colleague) that is designed to search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, browser extensions, add-ons/plug-ins, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware as well as related services, registry entries (values, keys), files, folders and potentially unwanted extensions.

When first run AdwCleaner includes options under the tabs to show what was found and to allow disabling detections you want to keep since not all detections are necessarily bad. AdwCleaner will clean Chrome and Firefox extensions and Add-ons. If you find a false positive, you can uncheck elements in both Chrome and Firefox sections. In some cases AdwCleaner may detect items related to legitimate programs...just ignore such detections. AdwCleaner detects all proxies.

Both tools are typically used one after another in order to ensure if something is missed by one, the other will pick it up.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

JRT (Junkware Removal Tool) is not new...it has been around since October 2012 when AdwCleaner was first released.

JRT is a non-interactive batch program created by thisisu (a member of the BC Malware Response Team) that is designed to search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, browser extensions, add-ons/plug-ins, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware. JRT will remove all traces of these types of programs which includes related services, registry entries (values, keys), files, folders and potentially unwanted extensions. JRT will also restore some default settings for Internet Explorer, Mozilla FireFox and Google Chrome. JRT automatically removes whatever it finds...there are no options to skip or ignore detections and no option to backup/restore removed items. Before using the tool, if JRT detects an active Internet connection, it will download the latest copy and relaunch itself automatically.

BTW...in June 2015, Malwarebytes announced the hiring of thisisu, and the acquisition of Junkware Removal Tool. The integration of Junkware Removal Tool within Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will take place over the next few months. The stand-alone JRT program will remain intact for those who wish to use it.

AdwCleaner is a portable adware cleaner created by Xplode (a BC Security Colleague) that is designed to search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, browser extensions, add-ons/plug-ins, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware as well as related services, registry entries (values, keys), files, folders and potentially unwanted extensions.

When first run AdwCleaner includes options under the tabs to show what was found and to allow disabling detections you want to keep since not all detections are necessarily bad. AdwCleaner will clean Chrome and Firefox extensions and Add-ons. If you find a false positive, you can uncheck elements in both Chrome and Firefox sections. In some cases AdwCleaner may detect items related to legitimate programs...just ignore such detections. AdwCleaner detects all proxies.

Both tools are typically used one after another in order to ensure if something is missed by one, the other will pick it up.

Ok, if Malwarebytes has aquired it then I guess I will just wait for it to come bundled with it internally. However, I am just curious, which one has a better detection rate?  

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:38 PM

They both pretty much detect a lot of the same things since the malware removal experts report new junkware/PUPs to be removed to both developers.
An example list of what is detected and removed can be found here.

#5 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:51 PM

They both pretty much detect a lot of the same things since the malware removal experts report new junkware/PUPs to be removed to both developers.
An example list of what is detected and removed can be found here.

Thanks!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:54 PM

You're welcome.

#7 CaveStoryKing64

CaveStoryKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:23 PM

You're welcome.

Again, Thank You. I do like JRT's GUI better, I like to be able to press a button and it does everything for me. However, i'll just stick with AdwCleaner since Mawarebytes Anti-Malware aquired it. Anyway, tanks for the information, you helped me. Oh, and when I said I heard about a new one, I didn't mean JRT was new, I already knew it was old, I meant that I had newly heard about it. Is there anyway to mark this as resolved or close it? Thanks.

:thumbup2:

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 02:31 PM

Not a problem.

As a general rule Bleeping Computer does not close (lock) topics in this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users