Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus alive even after disk zap and os reinstall

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nospmo

nospmo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:11 PM

Hi Guys

I have recently had a problem with a DELL Inspiron laptop computer, running Windows XP, service level 3

The problem was discovered after lending the laptop to my daughter’s partner

Firstly it gave a message “unable to find certificate” when connecting to wireless network

Secondly it prevented access to any search sites or virus download sites

It had set security levels to “Custom”, the HOSTS file was OK and there were no other HOST files on the disk

Windows update could not be accessed

Also prevented access to GRC when I wanted to try “shields up” so suspect it had created a back door (although router was passworded so this should have been ineffective)

The procedure I then followed was following all sorts of attempts to solve the problem

Performed a factory reset – problem remained, recovery partition obviously contaminated as well

Zapped the hard disk using Disk Zapper and reinstalled Windows – problem remained – must be BIOS

Flashed the BIOS with an upgrade supplied by Dell – problem remained

I have never experienced a virus as bad as this before

Any suggestions? Can a virus hide anywhere else?

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2015 - 03:15 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:19 AM

Appears something is protected and we should get a deeper look. Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users