Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Document Saving/sending Dilemma

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:40 PM

Good afternoon all,

I'm trying to get to know my scanner better. I have an HP Scanjet 3970. When I scanned in a text/graphics doc this afternoon to email to my son, apparently my only choices were to use MS Outlook or Outlook Express. I do not use either of those programs. I use Firefox's email client, Thunderbird.

I went into the settings area of the HP Director, brought up the email and word processing programs to see if there were other choices. I didn't see any. The choice for word processing was MS Office. I normally use Open Office, and at times Works 7.0. Is there any way to change the default/limited choices? I'm kinda new to all this, so sure would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Eagle7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:57 AM

Do you have Adobe Standard by any chance? If so, you can open that program and scan the document by importing from the scanner, then send the scanned document, which will be a PDF file, as an attachment.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 02 August 2006 - 01:00 AM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:05 PM

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed answer, my box was in the shop for the last 9 days.

No, I don't think I have Adobe Standard, just Adobe Reader. Is 'Standard' something else? Thanks.

Eagle7

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:18 PM

Yes, Standard is different. With standard you can create PDF documents with a scanner. With reader, you can only read pdf documents.

Hmm, I'm stumped about what other programs would work for this purpose.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to be installing and learning Ubuntu here soon, maybe Linux has a program that'll do the same job. My son is a Linux guru, I'll ask him. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, sure do appreciate it.

Eagle7

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:37 PM

Eagle 7:

I think I have something for you that will work. Do you have MS Word? I suspect you do since you have Outlook.

Open MS Word, click on Insert, then picture, then From Scanner or Camera. I think you will then be given the option of camera or scanner and you would choose Scanner (The computer I am on has neither a scanner nor a camera attached so I can't find out for sure what the menu is after clicking on "From Scanner or Camera.") The picture would then load into the MS document - I think.

Hope this helps,

Orange Blossom

#7 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:49 AM

No, I don't use MS Word or Outlook, although I do use Open Office which is similar to Word. I don't know the ins and outs yet of Open Office, just getting started with it. Any suggestions for using it to accomplish my needs? Thanks,

Eagle7

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

For OO.o one can scan the object and then save it as, for example, a JPEG in My Documents.
Then, in the Write document, cursor to where you wish the object to be displayed, and use the path:Insert/Picture/from file.... and select the appropriate path. Just below "from file" is Scan, which may be an option depending on the hardware/software configuration and how it interfaces with OO.o.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:28 PM

Thanks jgweed,

I'll give that a try. It might just be that simple. I'll let you know how it works for me. Thanks.

Eagle7

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:54 PM

I don't have my scanner hooked up right now, since I rarely use it; it may just be as simple as clicking on "from scan" but I am reasonably confident that you can certainly use your scanner to download into your harddrive as a JPEG, and insert it in your OO.o document. If you just want to send whatever you scan to someone, you can simply attached the jpeg to an E-mail, and avoid using a word processor althogether.
Regards,
John

#11 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:41 AM

Hi jgweed,

Success! Well, almost. It took forever for my dial up to email my OO doc/pic file out. Finally figured out it was because it was 2MG large! Oops. So, what's the best way to resize that? I did change my resolution from 200 to 100. That of course only shaved 1MG off. Should I actually resize it, say more like 4 x 6 or something? When I scan it in, my doc is on an standard 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. I did make it smaller once I got it into the OO Writer, but maybe only 1/3 smaller. What would you suggest might be the most straightforward way to resize for snail email? I'm using Tbird right now, until I get my Ubuntu installed. Thanks.

Regards,

Eagle7

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:37 AM

If you have IrfanView ( a very useful free photo editor), follow the steps in this miniguide:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42593/changing-an-images-file-type-using-ifranview/

Another way might be to bring the scanned file up on your computer and do a screen shot of it, and then attach that shot to your E-mail.

You will have to play around with various options until you find the way that makes the scanned data most readable for the recipient.
Cheers,
John

#13 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

Thanks John,

I don't have Irfanview yet, but I've heard good things about it. I'll give it a shot. Practice, practice and practice won't hurt, either.

Regards,

Eagle7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users