Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Linux and questions

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Chris030

Chris030

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:26 PM

SO here I am on this part of the forum! :busy:

The reason why is first because I own an old desktop pc with Windows xp on it and second is that I'm curious and want to learn more about this OS and maybe use it for fun on my Windows 7 laptop.

Here are the specs of my old desktop:

• Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.93GHz
  • 2.93GHz, 504 Mo RAM

And these are from my Windows 7 Laptop, an Acer Aspire 5755G:

• Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM 2.2GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz)
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M, Up to 4095MB Turbo Cache™
  • 8GB DDR3 Memory
  • 750GB HDD

Which Linux distro would be the best for the old desktop pc? Which Linux distros are the lightest? Can my laptop run all of them?

In the beginning I would use them from a CD (big enough?) and the distro I like the most & is best suited for the desktop pc will be installed. I already did a DVD with Ubuntu 14.04.2 but it doesn't boot on both machines, although other DVDs and CDs work fine... Is the DVD maybe broken? It has nothing to do with the writing I did on the top side of it or has it? :unsure:

I'll stop with the questions for now ^^

I would be happy with a response :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:53 PM

Hi Chris,

I read your post in the XP forum and understand that you followed this guide and burned the ISO image to DVD correctly.

It's possible that something went wrong with the download and the ISO image was corrupted. There is an easy way to check that the download wasn't corrupted. I gather than there is an md5sum application for Windows that you can download and install to Windows, but all Linux operating systems come with it already installed.

First thing I would do is try out Linux Puppy, as it's the smallest Linux operating system there is. I would avoid using the latest version (Tahr Puppy) on your old computer though, as it's based on Ubuntu 14.04 and designed for more modern hardware, and instead try one of the previous versions which are precise-5.7.1.iso or precise-5.7.1-retro.iso which you can download from here. Either file is small enough to be burned to a CD, and you can use either a CD-R or a CD-RW, or if your old computer is able to boot from a bootable USB (many old computer are not) you could use something like UnetBootin to make a bootable USB.

Then you can both try out Puppy, and check the Ubuntu ISO image that you downloaded.

Puppy is ideally suited to run from a CD (or USB) since it runs entirely from RAM. So while most Linux distros would run more slowly from CD/DVD or USB than if they were installed to HDD, that isn't the case with Puppy, which runs just as fast no matter how you run it. :)

Edited by Al1000, 06 August 2015 - 03:02 PM.

#3 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

It's possible that something went wrong with the download and the ISO image was corrupted. There is an easy way to check that the download wasn't corrupted. I gather than there is an md5sum application for Windows that you can download and install to Windows, but all Linux operating systems come with it already installed.

How can I do that on Windows? Can you show me what I should download?

I could also be that the DVD has a problem because it comes out of a box of 10 and I remember that when I wanted to save something to an other DVD from that box, 2 of them didn't work..

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between precise-5.7.1.iso or precise-5.7.1-retro.iso?

Is it possible to have more than one distro on a CD/DVD/USB?

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:39 PM

I prefer to see a topic start out by what computer will be used, for me that says a lot.  And a Speccy chart if possible, if you can figure out how to do it, it is really nice to have https://www.piriform.com/speccy

Might at least tell what brand and model the XP machine is, as that is what I feel is the best to start out using.  Then move to using the Windows 7 machine once all this is learned.  Provided you have taken all precautions to back up everything.  Although, nothing wrong with creating the LiveLinuxDVD on the windows 7 machine.

I would install Firefox to your windows 7 machine, or the xp, if not already installed.  This way you can avoid downloading and installing an md5sum checker.  Then install the Extension "DownThemAll"   DTA has a built in md5sum check, you can see it in the screenshot on the right in that link below.  It is also an awesome download manager.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/downthemall/

Then go here and get this iso for a good starter linux-distro, and copy the md5sum for the download.  Was not sure how much RAM you got on the XP machine, is that what this is ( 504 Mo RAM) sorry I am not super computer literate.  That would be good to know for what OS to use.  This OS will be good if you got 2GB of RAM or more. 

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=173

Then if you don't want Firefox you'll need a md5sum hash checker.  I used this one from this site.  Use this site with caution, download and do an av scan.  When you install, make sure you don't allow any toolbars or anything to be installed to your pc.  Someone else might have a better site to get it from.

http://download.cnet.com/MD5-SHA-Checksum-Utility/3000-2092_4-10911445.html

Here is another that I have not tried, they both had a good avast web reputation for what that is worth?

http://winmd5.com/

Here are some instructions on burning an iso in windows 7

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Don't worry about this comment as of yet: "Is it possible to have more than one distro on a CD/DVD/USB?"

Edited by pcpunk, 06 August 2015 - 08:40 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:55 PM

I now see that you have very little RAM on XP machine, and that is why Al000 was suggesting Puppy Linux.  So do the same but with Puppy.  Personally, I would get more RAM and install the distro I suggested! that would be well worth it.  Or you can Burn both puppy and the Linux Mint Mate to two different DVD's and test them out on which ever machine you want.  Mate won't likely run well on the XP machine, but really well on the Windows 7 machine.  You will need to "Boot" from the LiveDVD to test-drive linux.  Just try it out like this until you think you got something you would like.  Then you can install to USB, other external drive or HDD.

Remember you are not Saving files to the DVD, you are Burning an Image. 

Edited by pcpunk, 06 August 2015 - 10:05 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:58 AM

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the late response but I was looking for my Precise Puppy Retro CD, which I can't seem to find. The Retro version comes with (an old version of) Opera as well as SeaMonkey browser, whereas the standard version only comes with SeaMonkey.

If you prefer (an updatable version of) Firefox I suggest using the older Lucid Puppy which is what I use on my laptop. Lucid doesn't come with an internet browser (worth mentioning) but it does come with a desktop application called QuickPet from where you can download and install Firefox by just clicking on the Firefox icon. (More details in the link in my signature)

In terms of RAM, Firefox uses the most, then SeaMonkey, then Opera - but the version of Opera on Precise Puppy Retro is so old that you probably won't be able to browse many websites with it.

The Retro version of Precise is also suitable for CPUs that don't support PAE, and has other drivers for older computers that the standard version of Precise doesn't have.

I've never checked md5sum using Windows but pcpunk had posted a solution above.

You can only have one ISO on a CD or DVD.

Finally, when burning a Puppy ISO to CD, leave the option to "finalise" or "close" the CD unchecked, because Puppy gives you the option of creating a multi-session CD when you shut down for the first time, so that your settings and any applications you've installed are saved to the CD.

Edited by Al1000, 08 August 2015 - 07:58 AM.

#7 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for your answers! So, we'll then start with the windows xp desktop pc.
This pc will only be used for browsing, writing documents (nothing important), research & reading. It will also be used by my parents which will probably use it to write and learn a new language with an audio CD.

I've done the speccy. (I just can't find how to attach it here :unsure: )

I've run the md5sum hash checker (from http://winmd5.com/) and I got a checksum value. Does it mean that the download went without problems?

I'll try Linux Puppy, I'll burn it to new CDs that I'll buy tomorrow or on Monday and try it out. (As well as with Ubuntu 14.04.2 just because I'm curious now ^^)

Edited by Chris030, 08 August 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#8 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:00 PM

Chris, you might also want to check out Lubuntu. I have it on a (formerly XP) Dell Dimension 2400, with the same amount of RAM you have. Lubuntu 14.04 LTS is a lighter version of Ububtu that runs ok on my old box. Certainly fast enough for email and light browsing.

#9 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:11 PM

Chris, you might also want to check out Lubuntu. I have it on a (formerly XP) Dell Dimension 2400, with the same amount of RAM you have. Lubuntu 14.04 LTS is a lighter version of Ububtu that runs ok on my old box. Certainly fast enough for email and light browsing.

I'll check it out. Do you have a link where I can find the right iso and also download it?

#10 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:24 PM

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu/LTS

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:37 PM

This pc will only be used for browsing, writing documents (nothing important), research & reading. It will also be used by my parents which will probably use it to write and learn a new language with an audio CD.

Small though it is, Puppy comes with lots of (lightweight) applications.

abipup_zpsrzaxgoxq.png

LXpupapps_zpsguqs2mop.png

I've done the speccy.

There should be an option to "publish" or something like that, which should upload your results to the speccy site and present you with a link that you can post.

I've run the md5sum hash checker (from http://winmd5.com/) and I got a checksum value. Does it mean that the download went without problems?

The idea is that the checksum should match the checksum for the file you downloaded, which you should find on the site you downloaded Ubuntu from. What I usually do is copy and paste the checksum value into an internet search engine, and if it's correct you'll find links to the official download sites at the top of the search results with matching checksum values.

I'll try Linux Puppy, I'll burn it to new CDs that I'll buy tomorrow or on Monday and try it out. (As well as with Ubuntu 14.04.2 just because I'm curious now ^^)

Cool. If you try out anything like the number of different Linux distros that I do, it's well worth buying a DVD-RW (or CD-RW for Puppy).

Lubuntu also (just) fits on a CD.

Edited by Al1000, 08 August 2015 - 04:39 PM.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:58 PM

As I said, I have never used that one.  You could match up what you got with the one at the puppy site manually, by just looking at them both after you got that hash, they should match.

I assume you Browsed for the iso - or drag and drop the iso file until you got it in the top slot? then you will get a hash.  If you want to get a confirmation - you will have to copy paste the original hash into the Verify slot below.

2cpc0m0.gif

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:45 PM

Felt bad that I did not answer these questions, maybe someone did but I will try anyhow:

@Chris030

"It has nothing to do with the writing I did on the top side of it or has it?" No

"Is it possible to have more than one distro on a CD/DVD/USB?"  

You can do this with a USB, but might be better to start with just one lol.  I don't know if it is possible with a DVD or CD?

Lubuntu sounds good if it worked for leithanne on the Exact Same Hardware!  Puppy should be faster but me no like lol.

Here is the md5sum Hash for ubuntu-14.04.2-desktop-i386.iso: a8a14f1f92c1ef35dae4966a2ae1a264  It's possible you got the wrong one and that is why you are having problems?  If you got the 64bit it won't work on a 32bit system.

Really though, with that little RAM stick with the recommendations here, or another very lite distro.  Al000 has a ton of experience with these, so follow what he says if you want good info.  I think, with that old machine, you should be able to find some old RAM.  If you see a pc being dumped in the trash one day take it home and see if the RAM is the same.  There should be tons of RAM to be had if one is resourceful.  Maybe your local pc shop will sell you some used cheap.

Wish I could help you with Speccy, it is a little involved.  Don't stress it, it's not critical but great to have for the folks helping you, and, for you to look at and understand your machine better.  You can look at the bottom - of most of our Posts - and see a Speccy link, click on it and take a look.

Edited by pcpunk, 08 August 2015 - 05:49 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:12 PM

I prefer to see a topic start out by what computer will be used, for me that says a lot.

The Op posted PC specs. Please read the posts.

Here are some instructions on burning an iso in windows 7

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Why send the OP to another site? If you read the first post then you would see the OP has a Windows 7 machine.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#15 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:27 AM

I assume you Browsed for the iso - or drag and drop the iso file until you got it in the top slot? then you will get a hash.  If you want to get a confirmation - you will have to copy paste the original hash into the Verify slot below.

You download the iso and then you browse it or drag&drop it. It then gives you the hash.

Like Al1000 & pcpunk said, I copy & pasted the checksum value in an internet search engine and I got to the right iso. So no problem there right?

"Is it possible to have more than one distro on a CD/DVD/USB?"  

You can do this with a USB, but might be better to start with just one lol.  I don't know if it is possible with a DVD or CD?

That's cool and useful! So you don't waste many DVDs but I'll start with DVDs and CDs until I have more knowledge on this.

Other question, should I buy CDs or DVDs? Better use DVDs as the distros seem to be a bit bigger than the CDs?

Does the DVD have to be DVD-R(W) and also the CDs? If yes, then this might be the reason why it didn't work, as I got some DVD+R laying here...

There should be an option to "publish" or something like that, which should upload your results to the speccy site and present you with a link that you can post.

Ah okay, I saved the Snapshot and tried to upload it to my post. So, here's the link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HcjWf8iFjIKLNCxKIGWfwcL

Finally, when burning a Puppy ISO to CD, leave the option to "finalise" or "close" the CD unchecked, because Puppy gives you the option of creating a multi-session CD when you shut down for the first time, so that your settings and any applications you've installed are saved to the CD.

Ì'll pay attention to that!

I think, with that old machine, you should be able to find some old RAM. If you see a pc being dumped in the trash one day, take it home and see if the RAM is the same. There should be tons of RAM to be had if one is resourceful. Maybe your local pc shop will se you some used cheap.

I'll pay a visit to the recycling center in my area and look into their electronic bin. I'll ask them if I can take some pc towers with me or at least parts of it. If not, then I'll search for cheap ones.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

I burned the ISO image using the FreeISOBurner and followed the steps from the post "With XP ending, what are your alternatives?".

Edited by Chris030, 09 August 2015 - 04:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users