Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 cannot connect to internet or router

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 sediavindivoh

sediavindivoh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:10 PM

My step father's computer was previously able to access the internet just fine until he got windows 10. His computer, lan'd directly to the router, cannot even access the router @ 192.168.1.1. It just says connection refused. Basically, the router is outright refusing any kind of connections from him. I checked to make sure the computer was connected properly to the router, and the Ethernet cable is snugly attached. 

I'm currently using my Windows 7 computer downstairs to send this forum post, and it can access the router just fine @ 192.168.1.1.

Because of this, I deduced that the problem is either in his PC software configuration (Windows 10?), or software configuration of the router.

I've monkied around with several fixes that windows 10 suggested, including diagnostics, restarting/resetting (with small button) the router, etc. but the problem still persists.

My windows 7 computer may have provided me with a clue. Its "ipconfig" settings list its IPv4 address as 192.168.1.114. But the upstairs Windows 10's computer IPv4 starts with 169 and has no default gateway at all. In the IPv4 settings of the Windows 10 computer, everything is set to default and "Obtain an IP address automatically". But I read online that the IPv4 address should start with 192.168.1.#. And his starts with 169, as you will see in the attached picture.

I attached his ipconfig/all

Please help! I can't find any forum posts on the internet for this particular problem.

Attached File  Untitled.png   81.56KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users