Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall plugins & addons on Firefox

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris030

Chris030

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:06 PM

Hi,

My Firefox starts a bit slow in the past time. I went to check the Addons and the Plugins, there are many deactivated but I can't uninstall them. I can uninstall the Addons that I deactivated but not the Addons that aren't active because of compatibility reasons (for example Kaspersky Virtual Keyboard). I also can't uninstall the Plugins.

Is there something I'm missing?

I run Firefox 39.0 on a Windows 7 laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firehouse

Firehouse

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

Try with Avast! Browser Cleanup.

#3 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:30 PM

That didn't work, it only asked me to uninstall one that I actually want to keep and that I can uninstall by myself.

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:10 PM

From within Firefox, go to "about:plugins".  Scroll down until you see the plugin you want to remove.  Note the listed file and filepath.  For example, Picasas shows up as 'Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Picasa3\npPicasa3.dll'. 

Go the the listed folder, and rename to file (in example above, to 'xnpPicasa3.dll').  Restart Firefox and the plugin should be gone.  Once you are comfortable you got the right file, you can go ahead and delete it. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:42 PM

Go the the listed folder, and rename to file (in example above, to 'xnpPicasa3.dll').  Restart Firefox and the plugin should be gone.  Once you are comfortable you got the right file, you can go ahead and delete it. 

Thanks for that, great tip! Delete only the file (in your example 'xnpPicasa3.dll') ?

How can I do that for the Addons? As they're not compatible with Firefox 39.0, I can't delete them..

Edited by Chris030, 07 August 2015 - 03:42 PM.

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:32 AM

Delete only the file (in your example 'xnpPicasa3.dll') ?

How can I do that for the Addons? As they're not compatible with Firefox 39.0, I can't delete them..

Deleting just the file will stop the plugin from loading.  You may be able to delete the whole folder, but I won't suggest that as a general rule. 

I have no idea on how to clean the incompatible Addons. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#7 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:17 PM

Deleting just the file will stop the plugin from loading.  You may be able to delete the whole folder, but I won't suggest that as a general rule. 

I have no idea on how to clean the incompatible Addons. 

the 'xnp' in the begining of the name will also stop them right? they don't take much space so I'll leave them there.

Thanks for the help! Maybe someone else knows for the Addons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users