Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB hard drive and flash drive not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rwilbar

rwilbar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:40 PM

I have an Asus Laptop running windows 10.

My external hdd and a flash drive aren't being recognized in windows explorer. In device manager both "USB mass storage device" icons have the yellow warning shield, and both their Properties have this message:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory."

I have uninstalled each drive in device mgr, restarted computer, same result.

I've tried to update drivers in DM, but message says my current drivers are correct for these hardware items.

Oddly, my wireless mouse and keyboard function properly with the unifying receiver plugged into any of the 3 usb ports, so I've ruled out the ports being bad.

Any suggestions?

R Wilbar

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:01 AM

Have you tried a total shutdown - plug & battery removed, etc.?

I'm not sure of the way to clear the CMOS on your laptop but that's also an option.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:10 AM

Have you tried this Microsoft FIxit tool?

#4 rwilbar

rwilbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:10 PM

Since posting problem I have run an update which seems to have the usb drives working (fingers crossed).

I had not done a complete shutdown (unplugged, battery out) so I can't say that was the solution.

I tried to use the Windows FixIt but it would not run; stated that my operating system (Win 10) was not yet compatible with that program (huh, Microsoft!!).

Thanks for responding, I'll update response if the usb drives connection fails again.

#5 positis

positis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:24 PM

Really interested in this thread since I seem to have the same problem. Since upgrading to Win 10, my flash drives and cell phone don't get detected, but my gamepad runs just fine.

Would be nice if you told me which update you installed, it might fix it for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users