Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get a static IP

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:06 PM

I want to get an external IP that never ever changes even when I restart my web server. Is there a way to do this? Are there other possibilities so that when my IP changes, I don't have to update all the links I've ever posted about my website? 

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:34 PM

You contact your provider and buy one. Usually they aren't cheap.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:47 PM

Scratch that idea... Are there any other options?

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:41 PM

Why do you want or think you need a static IP?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:15 PM

You can use a dynamic DNS service. This typically entails running a client app on your server that will then update the DNS system when you IP address changes.

I believe there are some free options, but I could be wrong.

Since I have never had the need, I never used one, so I don't have a good suggestion for one.

#6 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:59 PM

Why do you want or think you need a static IP?

Because whenever my IP changes, I have to update all the links to my server I've posted and it is quite tedious.

You can use a dynamic DNS service. This typically entails running a client app on your server that will then update the DNS system when you IP address changes.

I believe there are some free options, but I could be wrong.

Since I have never had the need, I never used one, so I don't have a good suggestion for one.

I could see about that... But the server is a Raspberry Pi.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:10 PM

Not sure why your IP changes so much, my IP on my last ISP was the same for the 2 years I had it.

A dynamic dns client is your best bet. Then you give out the URL rather than the IP address. I am fairly sure it could run on your server no matter which flavor of linux you have but it doesn't have to run on your server. It can run on any PC on your network, since it is updating the DNS for the URL to your WAN IP, it has nothing to do with your server's static IP.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#8 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:33 PM

I can't find a dynamic dns client that is free or actually works.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

http://www.duckdns.org/ try that one

EDIT: or http://lifehacker.com/the-best-free-alternatives-to-dyndns-1561556205

Edited by CaveDweller2, 06 August 2015 - 06:06 PM.

#10 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

I'll take a look at that.

#11 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:44 PM

yDNS seems to work for me, but how do I get rid of the ydns.eu at the end?

Also, I'm skeptical how yDNS would change the IP it points to if it requires no configuration on the client side.

Edited by gigawert, 06 August 2015 - 06:57 PM.

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:06 PM

you don't get rid of the ydns.eu, it's how they all work.

What do you need to configure on your end? The client connects to it's service and reports what your IP is and the service takes it from there.

#13 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:10 PM

you don't get rid of the ydns.eu, it's how they all work.

What do you need to configure on your end? The client connects to it's service and reports what your IP is and the service takes it from there.

Well, I registered a domain megawert.tk, but it points to the .ydns.eu. Soon I'll change my external IP to see if yDNS really works (I do find it hard to believe that yDNS would be able to find my external IP after it changes).

#14 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:14 PM

you do know how networking works right? how can it not see what your WAN address is when it becomes that address on the WAN side of your router?

#15 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:21 PM

Oh... One more question. When I try to connect to the IRC server on my Pi with the new ydns.eu address, the connection times out. Before when I typed the plain IP into the IRC client it worked fine. What is going on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users