Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard and mouse suddenly stop working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sega Dude

Sega Dude

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

Something strange happened while I was using my PC. All of a sudden, the mouse and keyboard stopped working. The laser on the mouse was still glowing, but there was no cursor. The num lock, caps lock and scroll lock lights on the keyboard kept blinking every few seconds, and they keyboard was unresponsive as well. I had to shut down the computer a remote app on my android tablet. I had something similar happen last night. The mouse suddenly died, but the laser wasn't glowing. I unplugged and plugged the mouse back in and it was fine. The keyboard was still responsive. The keyboard is an IBM Model M connected to the computer via a PS/2 to USB adaptor. The mouse is a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical connected to the computer via USB. This has happened twice today and it just started today. This is somewhat of an urgent issue, as I need to get my final program for my programming class done by tomorrow. What could be causing this? The computer is a Lenovo H430-2558-1ZU. 

The specs are as follows:

3.3GHz Intel Core i3 2120

4GB DDR3 RAM

EVGA GTX 750

SeaSonic S12II 520 power supply (upgraded from stock)
1TB Seagate ST31000524AS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:18 PM

{guessing]

If you are using your computer a bit more and at a higher level of activity I'd be looking at the possibility of a heat problem. Computers protect themselves by shutting down operations to prevent overheating from reaching a destructive level.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 LFos42

LFos42

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:25 PM

...and if you're in a programming class are you sure you haven't been hacked/somebody loaded malware or some sort of virus to mess with you?.....you might include a good malware scan in the to do list....

#4 Sega Dude

Sega Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:11 PM

It has started doing something else now. If I leave the computer alone for awhile and come back to it later, I find that it is completely powered off, like it was shut down. No one in the house claims to have shut it down. This has happened four times for the past 2 or 3 days. Also, the keyboard and mouse stopping working thing has happened several more times, and keeps happening. I did do a full scan with Malwarebytes but it didn't find anything. I will be doing a clean install of the OS tomorrow. I hope it will solve these problems.

Edited by Sega Dude, 16 August 2015 - 10:26 PM.

#5 LFos42

LFos42

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:52 PM

the system shutdown is concerning.  can you monitor temps with something like GPU-Z or HW Monitor?  Heat makes sense for the shutdown, or a video driver conflict.  Have you loaded new graphics drivers lately?  I've had issues recently with older peripherals acting up with weird errors after loading the new combo win 7/win 10 compatible drivers that a lot of companies are rushing out the door (plus with microsoft downloading getting ready for 10).  loading older drivers fixed that for me (specifically, a logitech G15 keyboard which I still dig, died after the new combo logitech update-and possibly a win 7 to 10 driver update, I may never know.-- loading the old setpoint driver in combo with the new driver software fixed it completely.) if your peripherals are USB you might also check your USb drivers and even take a look at device manager to see if there's an error showing there.  but the system shutdown speaks to heat or video or some other major conflict.

#6 Sega Dude

Sega Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:14 PM

Well, it turns out the problem with the keyboard and mouse disconnecting was caused by the Microsoft mouse I was using. With the Microsoft mouse, the cursor would sometimes lag and stop dead in it's tracks for a second or more. I went back to using the Lenovo mouse the computer came with, and the problem is gone. It's been four days and the problem with the keyboard and mouse disconnecting has not happened again. As for the shutting down when left alone, that seems to have been resolved by the clean install of the OS.

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:47 AM

Sounds like all is well.

Keep close tabs on things for a while to make sure.

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users