Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

750 Gb Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Idaman323

Idaman323

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:53 PM

Okay... we recently got a 750gb hardrive for our new computer... because we are getting into video and video editing stuff...

And when you look at the properties of the C drive it says it only has 127 total gb of space. Which is 600 gb short....

We are running Windows XP.. is there some setting or whatever that does this... I also remember while installing the Windows OS, when it was formatting it... It said it had 131 mb. I thought it was kidna weird... but yah.. any help would be appreciated... thanks..

Idaman323

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:05 PM

You need at least Service Pack 1 for Windows XP or Service Pack 3 for Windows 2000 for Windows to be able to see more than a 130GB hard-drive. I recommend getting SP2 for XP as well. And keeping Windows up to date.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Idaman323

Idaman323
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:31 PM

Okay.. we have SP1a... so when we get 2 it should show more... even though when I did the whole partioning or w/e it said I only have 131 gb? Im kinda confused on this...

#4 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:48 PM

hello:

The 127gig barrier is a bios limitation due to the absence of 48 bit LBA (large block addressing) the 137 gig barrier is a windows XP & 2000 service pack one and higher fix.

bascially you have three choices:

A) update your motherboard bios

:thumbsup: you could use the Large Drive Enabler which is really a software overlay called Dynaice Disk Overlay; the downside to this approach is; should you ever need to run a recovedry software to recover from a messed up partition or OS problem the presence of DDO makes the recovery almost impossible.

C) you could add a Promise brand PCI slot IDE or Sata controller card to your computer and run anywhere from 2 to 6 drives off that card. These cost about $40.00 and are bootable.

summary: The bios upgrade would be the best and cheapest option if a bios file is available that solves the problem (it would need to be written after 2003) The PCI card would be the secodn best choice of "fixes" and the use of DDO the last ditch fix. DDO can be obtained from all hard drive makers websites for free as an effort to suport their drives.

dont hesitate to ask more questions

#5 Idaman323

Idaman323
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:40 PM

Can it be any kind of BIOS or only a BIOS that is a better version then the one I currently have....

And how exactly do I go about doing this...

Edited by Idaman323, 17 July 2006 - 12:44 PM.

#6 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:27 PM

First... Who made your computer? (Dell, HP, etc.) If it isnt a prefab computer, then who is your motherboard's manufacturer? What is the model of that motherboard? Find the motherboard's BIOS revision on the manufacturer's page. Most prefabs and manufacturers (through applications provided) allow for BIOS revisions through Windows, some you must make a bootable floppy and update through that.

Edited by legoman786, 17 July 2006 - 04:28 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users