Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender vs Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nferia

nferia

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:26 AM

Everything seems to be working ok... except, my wifi says it is incapatable, i will have to find a way to fix that.. and, most importantly is, i upgraded from windows 7 , so, i was using microsoft security essentials. windows 10 doesn't use that program, ok fine however, i can not locate it to turn it off... so, now my windows defender is saying it has been turned off and nothing i do will make it turn back on. i have read all the suggestions about mcafee, which it was never actually activated on this machine however, i went through and deleted any traces of it.. restarted, and still the program will not start.. i lookede up online and saw that many ppl that had the first miscrosoft service, are having similar issues however, i can not find it on this machine, so i can not turn it off.

i am unsure what to do.. i am getting just a weee bit frustrated, lol.

any suggestions? :thumbup2:

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:50 AM

• Open the Local Group Policy Editor. (Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type gpedit.msc, and press Enter. NOTE: This file is located at C:\Windows\System32\gpedit.msc.)
  • In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location --->>>> Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Defender
  • In the right pane of Windows Defender in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Turn off Windows Defender policy to edit it.
  • A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK
  • When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

#3 nferia

nferia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:03 AM

• Open the Local Group Policy Editor. (Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type gpedit.msc, and press Enter. NOTE: This file is located at C:\Windows\System32\gpedit.msc.)
  • In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location --->>>> Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Defender
  • In the right pane of Windows Defender in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Turn off Windows Defender policy to edit it.
  • A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK
  • When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

i tried that and i got an error.. i will attach a snap.

.4a19b7c36e0eeedbdb9551c3b51aa95a.png

#4 nferia

nferia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:09 AM

Also, the two folders I could find for group policy are empty

09a8725abbaba7cff88980fe1df2e769.png

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:40 AM

If another anti-virus was installed on your computer, it most likely turned Windows 8 Defender off (disabled) to avoid conflicts. Windows 8/10 Defender will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled.

Microsoft Security Essentials should be removed via Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel. However, this method does not always work as intended especially if you did not stop and disable the MSE service and terminated msseces.exe in Task Manager or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.

If you encounter issues or errors during attempted removal, please refer to:
* Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled (MicrosoftFixit.ProgramInstallUninstall.exe)
* Uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials by Stephen Boots, MVP last updated 01/12/2014 <- includes mseremoval.bat file
* Microsoft Security Essentials Removal Tool
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:44 PM

Update: Reading though the Microsoft Community forums I have found several reports of the Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 with Microsoft Security Essentials installed has resulted in leaving it on the computer and disabling Defender. Microsoft is aware of the problem and are investigating but so far they have not released any fix or knowledge-base article to address this issue.

Some users have reported success by booting into safe mode, manually removing all registry keys related to MSE and disabling the startup service from services. Others have reported success by rolling back to Windows 7, uninstalling MSE and then upgrading again to Windows 10 afterwards. Another solution was to perform a reset of Windows 10 which removes all installed programs and data, leaving a clean Windows 10 installation with no programs installed.

At this time it appears the second option (rolling back to Windows 7) is the best solution until Microsoft provides a better alternative.

#7 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:07 PM

If Mcafee was on your computer you may have to use their uninstaller to remove all traces even if it wasn't activated, worth a shot.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:59 AM

In all the cases I read, the presence of MSE during the upgrade was the primary issue. Microsoft failed to advise users to remove it prior to upgrading.

#9 nferia

nferia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:24 AM

I got it to work using another forum post here from long ago.. but, it took forever.. I believe it must have something to do with the mse, i do not understand why they didn't include an uninstaller knowing that people would likely upgrade from win7... oh well, it seems to be working now.. thank you for the help.. now all i have to do is see when they will have compatability mode for my wifi thingy, and all will be gravy... this version is awesome for me, since i am a gamer and it made my graphics update.. yay me! :) hugs to all that helped or tried too.. :)

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:48 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users