Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Viewing Jpeg Attachments In Yahoo Mail

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mike072364

mike072364

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:26 PM

I am assuming this is a computer issue per Att/Yahoo...

I am running Windows XP Home edition, using IE, and my ISP is ATT/YAHOO

When I am using yahoo mail, and have an attachment (picture) to view in an email, clicking on view next to the file name will not let me view the picture. My son has tried this on his computer, same file and all, and it works for him.

The only way for me to view the picture full size is to download and save to my computer. I am thinking this is a setting on my computer that will not allow jpeg files to be viewed.

My thinking is you should be able to view the file in Windows and Picture viewer program and not be required to save to hard drive.

Anyone else have this problem or know how to resolve it? Appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gaming Guru

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:33 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I *think* clicking view actually downloads the full picture like if you just downloaded it.

You would have to save it to your HDD to view in the windows viewer.
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6GHz Processor / 1GB RAM / Toshiba Satellite A100-VA3 / Windows Vista Home Premium

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:53 PM

It may be due to Internet Explorer settings.

open Internet Explorer, click on "tools" then on "Internet Options"

Click the "Advanced" tab

Scroll down and make sure "Show Pictures" has a checkmark.

Click "Apply" then "OK".

If that didn't resolve the problem what security level do you have set?
It should be set to "Medium"

The problem may also be a result of settings you have in Yahoo Mail if the above doesn't resolve the issue or you may not have the proper file association set to open Jpeg files with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:17 PM

Oddly enough, I did a test just now, and cannot view an attachment (I use Ff and sent the attachment via GMail), either. I can find no Yahoo settings or options that would cause this to happen.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Gaming Guru

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:34 PM

@jgweed: As far as I know, Yahoo! doesn't provide the option to view photos like that without downloading them first. :thumbsup:
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6GHz Processor / 1GB RAM / Toshiba Satellite A100-VA3 / Windows Vista Home Premium

#6 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:33 PM

I use Yahoo email with ATT DSL, too. Yes, you have to click the DOWNLOAD button to view the jpeg or attachment, but it just opens it up temporarily for you to view. Then I just click the X to close that window after viewing the pic or attachment. You would have to click the SAVE button instead of the DOWNLOAD button to actually save it to you local hard drive. I never do that. I belong to a Rat Terrier Yahoo group that posts tons of pictures in emails and I view them on my screen all the time. You're just viewing them on your screen locally, they are NOT saving to your hard drive unless you click the SAVE button and ask it to do so. YAhoo also scans them with Norton Antivirus before doing all this and tells you it is clean (or not). Hope this helps.

Edited by buttoni, 12 July 2006 - 06:34 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users