Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Time Building Gaming PC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SgtMudkip

SgtMudkip

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:04 AM

I was wondering if I can get some suggestion on parts and all for a really badass gaming computer. My budget is at the most $1000 and really needed help choosing what to get. I really want to go the intel route and also want to some how squeeze a 500 gb ssd in their. All tips and suggestions are appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:37 AM

If you're aiming for an i7 system with a top-of-the-line GPU, you're going to have to go above $1000.  An i7 4790 paired with a GTX 980 eats up most of your budget.  Factor in the remaining components you'll need and your budget would need to be about $1500.  Dropping the processor down to an i5 4690 reduces the price to $1400.  Keeping that i5 and going to a GTX 970 puts the cost at about $1250.

This is about as close as I was able to get:

Motherboard:  GIGABYTE GA-G1.Sniper Z97 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 - One of their least expensive, but highly rated, Z97 boards.  $149 

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz - One of the higher end CPU's.  Here's the other CPU I mentioned Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz.  $240

RAM:  Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - The motherboard can handle 32GB of memory.  This is a single stick.  $45

GPU:  EVGA 04G-P4-2972-KR GeForce GTX 970 4GB - This isn't the highest end GPU, but still quite nice.  Here's the other GPU I mentioned GIGABYTE GV-N980WF3OC-4GD GeForce GTX 980 4GB.  $324

ODD:  ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - You only need a basic one.  $19

Case:  NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower - This case is huge, but it will last you a very long time and you can keep reusing it over and over again.  $119

PSU:  CORSAIR CX series CX600M 600W - This should be enough for your PC, however, if you are going to be using more than one GPU, you will need a higher capacity unit.  $69

SSD:  Crucial BX100 CT500BX100SSD1 2.5" 500GB - Your requested SSD, you may want a standard HDD to supplement this for your music, videos, and other data.  $169

OS:  Windows 10 Home 64-bit - You need this.  Make sure you double-check the privacy settings when you set up your account after installation.  Also, DVD playback has been removed from the Home version but is available as an add-on in their online store.  $99

Price:  $1,239 (Doesn't include mail-in rebates, taxes, or shipping)

3939.png

#3 TheLaughingITMann

TheLaughingITMann

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:45 AM

I agree with the above reply. Doing Intel is pretty costly (for comparison, you could get an i3 CPU for more money than it would cost to get an FX-8350 AMD CPU.

If you absolutely want to go Intel, an i5 CPU is the most ideal chip for the money you want to spend. An SSD should be used ONLY for Windows and non-gaming programs. 500GB is a lot to ask for, and SSD's aren't built for redundancy (in other words, moving lots of files to and from it). To cut your budget down, I would recommend going no higher than a 240GB SSD, and using the money to get maybe a secondary HDD for critical data (500GB or more). As for the video card, going for a GTX 970 means you're set for the next 3-5 years, easy; 4GB of video memory, a high performing chipset on the video card...if you can afford it, go for an ASUS Strix GTX 970. The quality is very good and their warranty handling is among the betters I've seen (which is very few).

As for the OS, if you want to get a solid OS, then TRY, TRY, TRY to find a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit. It's got at least another 5 years of life on it (try Amazon, eBay (recommended if you can get an OEM DVD and a product key that is legible and able to activate the OS, then tape on the outside of it), or Newegg). Windows 8.1 is still a solid OS, and you can install something like Classic Start to add in the old style start menu...but if you must get Windows 10, then be prepared for any potential bugs and issues.

For power supply, 600W will work just fine. Long as you have enough connections for the motherboard, your DVD drive, your HDD/SSD's and the video card, you'll be fine.

Beyond that, 8GB RAM is plenty for the OS and for gaming. I can't recommend much more at this point, but if you can get the CPU, video card, the SSD knocked out...everything else should come easy.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:29 AM

I'll agree with everyone else.  If you're building a gaming machine you might be able to get the parts down to $1,000, but a $1,250 budget is more realistic.

The is very little you can make cheaper than the build [user=DJBPace07] posted.  Part of what most people don't consider is the $100 or more you need to pay for a Windows license.

The only cuts I can see to get you closer $1,000 is to go with a spinning drive, that should save you $100, go with a cheaper motherboard, go with a cheaper case.

Fast, good, cheap, pick two.

You may be able to find a manufactured machine for $1,000 as they purchase their parts in bulk and get a deal on the OS.  The problem you will run into is that your upgrade options will be limited.

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:36 AM

I don't know if this will make a difference to your build, but after I built my computer I started off putting my games on my SSD. After I had to re-install everything, due to a self-inflicted calamity, I installed all my games on my HDD, because it had a lot more space. The games take a few seconds longer to start up, but play the same - I never see a lag during actual gameplay. 

So if you are limiting your budget, maybe you could go with a smaller SSD in conjunction with a HDD.

#6 SgtMudkip

SgtMudkip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:41 AM

Thank you everyone who replied! DJ I'm going to take your list into heavy consideration and all this talk has convinced me to go for a bit smaller of a SSD.

#7 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:55 AM

Good Luck!

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:34 AM

Let us know what you decide!

$169 for a 500GB SSD is a very good price, I have that exact model for my games.  I only have one traditional spinning drive in my PC for pictures, movies, music, etc.  That same model SSD at the 250GB capacity is about half the price.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users